“Nice Place”
Review of Sands Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montauk
Sands Motel
Ranked #26 of 38 Hotels in Montauk
west babylon
“Nice Place”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We spent the weekend at the Sands during Montauk Music Festival. This is a typical Montauk hotel. The rooms are neat and clean but somewhat old - Except for the bathroom which was recently updated and very nice. The bed was comfortable and there was plenty of room in our "ocean view suite". There was a nice little sun deck with 2 chairs and a table-but no privacy from the other guests. Not really a negative for us, but it might be for some.
The check in was quick and painless. The ladies were pleasant and helpful.
The location was the best part. Right by the IGA, across from the beach and a short walk to town. The price was also reasonable (but then again, we stayed during "off season"). I am not sure I would be as happy paying the standard going rates during season for a night in this room. But then again, I would never pay those rates for a night in Montauk.

Room Tip: We stayed upstairs with an ocean view...very nice!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
diane11954, Manager at Sands Motel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Suz3032 - thank you for your review and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay. We work very hard to make sure that our rooms are extremely clean for our guests to enjoy. Just as a piece of information, if you are looking for the very private balcony - that would be in our suites where you have a separate bedroom, living room, kitchen situation. It sounds, from your description, like you were in the "West Wing." We hope you will visit us again when you are in Montauk.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Long Beach, New York
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We went to Montauk with friends this past August, they chose this place and have stayed their numerous times before, I however was a little hesitant. However when we got there, I was impressed with how clean it was, and the location was perfect, as you could walk to the downtown area so easily. This came in handy since we had a baby as well, so it was convenient. Our television didn't work on the second day, but they came right over and fixed it within an hour which was nice.

The downside of this place was the concierge, when we were checking in the two ladies were not very friendly, and this was not a very good first impression for me. I needed to ask my husband a question so I turned around for a second to go back out, but then when I turned back to them suddenly I caught one of them giving the other the eye roll...right then I wanted to leave, and I could have because I didn't give any money, but my husband said to just stay, and sure enough I was happy with the hotel, they just need to get new front desk staff, or tell the current ladies at the front to lighten up..a lot.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank HusnaO
Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Sands for 1 night. I like this hotel because they did not have a two night minimum. The room was very clean and the receptionist was very pleasant. It was a short walk to the beach. The price was reasonable but I did stay off season. I would stay again.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BELLYWOPPER
diane11954, Manager at Sands Motel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Bellywopper - We are glad that you enjoyed your one night stay with us in September. We make every effort to insure that our rooms are as clean as possible. We hope you will consider staying with us again when you visit Montauk.
Huntington, New York
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I stayed here earlier in September and enjoyed my stay.i realize that it is at the end of the season and kind of expected that not everything would be perfect..part of coming out to Montauk and staying at these little hotels makes Montauk what it is.My first three nights I stayed in one of the upstairs rooms with a balcony.I found the room clean and had everything I needed.On my second day I asked if the room was available for an extra night and was told no but a room downstairs was available so I took it .This room was much smaller but it just being me it was fine..I found the hotel staff very helpful and nice...Hotel is in a great location and almost everything in town is in walking distance.. Definitely would recommend Sands Motel to friends and just let them to have realistic expectations and enjoy there stay.. Remember your out in Montauk for the beach and town...

Room Tip: Recommend upstairs rooms with balcony...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank RichieRich2013
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 September 2013

My wife and I came to town early and decided to stay here for one night because our real hotel was not ready on time. We were desperate so we just went ahead and paid the insanely high rate for a suite (we were told it was the only room available...which it clearly was not), thinking it's on the beach so how bad could it be? Well, I have NEVER seen such a poorly taken care of room! There were stains EVERYWHERE and had an awful smell that would not go away. On top of that, the people were very rude and watched us constantly from the office (we are not paranoid-this is confirmed in other reviews of the hotel)....definitely a creepy vibe! I have been going to Montauk for YEARS! Trust me, there are better places out there!

Room Tip: ...find a different hotel!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank robert l
diane11954, Manager at Sands Motel, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Dear Robert L,
It seems, seeing that you are from the same town and have the same last initial, that your wife also wrote a previous review. As was previously explained, you desperately wanted a room at 8 o'clock in the morning on a Sunday. It was explained to you that the only room available was a suite but you just wanted a room as you both didn't feel well. Had you been able to wait until a reasonable check-in time there would have been other accommodations available. You also failed to advise that you had TWO dogs with you which is against our policy. Perhaps they were the "odor" in the room as it took us two days to air the room out after you checked out on Monday. Also, there was only one person on duty on Sunday at any given time so "people" constantly watching you cannot be the case. If we feel it necessary to keep on eye on guests it is because of a concern for the property.

Travellers are raving about these Montauk hotels

Brightwaters, New York
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Very Small room...ours was by the stairs to the second level, and our window backed to the pool area...musty odor to the room...exorbitantly overpriced...If you like sleeping in a moldy closet, this motel is for you!!

Room Tip: Choose a different motel
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Walter L
Reviewed 23 September 2013

The motel itself is disgusting (stains all over the floors and sheets!)and incredibly over priced!! While across from the beach, it is definitely not worth it's insanely overpriced rooms! My husband and I accidentally thought they allowed dogs and instead of graciously asking us to leave (which we offered) they took our money and then were rude and hostile for the duration of our stay!! Needless to say, we cut our trip short and changed hotels! You have been warned

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Elynch1859
diane11954, Manager at Sands Motel, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear Ms. Lynch,

We feel the need to address your review. Number one, you NEVER asked if we accepted dogs upon check-in. You arrived at EIGHT A.M. on Sunday morning and said you needed to get into a room IMMEDIATELY. You were told that the only thing open at that point was one of our suites (our most expensive accommodation) which was offered and accepted - AGAIN WITHOUT STATING THAT YOU HAD NOT ONE BUT TWO DOGS. You were permitted to check in at 8AM which is WAY BEFORE our check-in time of 3 PM so you actually had a day and a half at the rate that you paid. You also parked your car as far away from the office as possible so that perhaps no one would be able to see the dogs??? We run a VERY clean, well kept establishment so perhaps whatever you're referring to would be from having TWO dogs in your room that in all likelihood were full of sand and probably allowed on the beds. Also not sure about the reference to cutting your stay short as you only paid for one day to begin with and received much more time with the early check in that was permitted. You came into the office in the afternoon after all the housekeepers had left for the day asking for maid service even though you had just checked in and the office clerk's girlfriend kindly went over to your room to service the room. Perhaps you should clarify immediately wherever you stay next that you have two dogs instead of trying to sneak them in.