“Mixed Experience”

Ranked #12 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
Munich, Germany
“Mixed Experience”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The MBH is stylish and cool, quite possibly one of the best places to stay in Montauk. Great location, clean, very nice Restoration Hardware décor (although, not sure how it’s going to hold up in a hotel) and a nice pool with weekend DJ. Alex, the manager, was nice but, unfortunately, we had an issue with one of the bartender/managers (did not know his name) who was cocky and rude. Overall, the vibe is a bit snooty and not overly welcoming. In addition, the food is extremely overpriced: $18 for a burger with not even fries or chips on the side? Come on.
Lastly, not so kid friendly, especially during the weekend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
TMBHManagement, Owner at The Montauk Beach House, responded to this review, 24 January 2015
Glad you think TheMBH is stylish and cool but we are surprised that you didn't experience a welcoming atmosphere as that is truly not our reputation. With regard to the food pricing I think we are in line with similar resorts in Montauk. Because Montauk is so far from distribution points both food and gasoline tend to be a bit more expensive. That’s something those of us who live and work out here regard as the price of living in a beach paradise.

That being said we probably should do a better job explaining that and you should have gotten chips with that burger. If you come again please tell them the owner says you get 2 chips with your burger to make it up to you. Again, thanks. :-)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Had a really good weekend with my friends here, the owners have done a great job renovating the place, is done really well, great atmosphere and the staff were very friendly and good fun, would definitely go back

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Very glad you "loved it" and we hope you come back in 2015 because we are adding some enhancements to make you love it even more @TheMBH. Again, thanks. :-)
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Great place - clean - still quite new. Very little space for any personal belongings including clothing. Crazy cool A/C unit. Pool area was great, but quiet midweek. The bar closes very early at night. :-(

Room Tip: stay upstairs to avoid hearing people overhead all night. Wifi definitely not great inside the room...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks for the great review and I want address some of your other comments. We have recently taken steps to improve the storage situation in rooms. Luggage racks have been added to all rooms and we have re-positioned all the clothes racks in rooms so that you can hang more clothes in an easier manner. We've also added shelves and storage baskets to a number of rooms.

We've also enhanced the WiFi in the public spaces of the hotel but a few of the rooms continue to present a challenge but we are seeking some better solutions. Look forward to having you stay with us again @TheMBH. :-)
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We travel frequently for business as well as for relaxation. When choosing a hotel, I look for interesting design, cleanliness, pleasant staff - an original, but defined atmosphere. Montauk Beach House hit all the markers. Plus THE most comfortable bed and linens, ample A/C, a nice balcony overlooking the quiet street and barefoot beach-goers, a few steps in each direction to all the good restaurants and two beach entrances. We biked out to Navy Beach for drinks and then back to Surf Lodge for sunset, to Hither Hills Beach (beautiful) and to the lighthouse - all very easy rides. Now the new Hampton Hopper stops at MBH, so getting around carless and cabless is easy. It was a very relaxed 5 days and Alex, the manager, went out of his way to help out in every way.

Room Tip: We loved Whitewater Loft
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank NancyGordonE
Very happy to hear your 5 days with us went so well and that you were able to enjoy so many of the great activities that are nearby. Alex is indeed a very special personality and he inspires the rest of the staff to exceed guests’ expectations.

Hope to have you stay with us again so you can experience all the new enhancements we’ve made for 2015 @TheMBH
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Montauk Beach House in my opinion is a Upscale Motel in a small beach town. The location of the hotel is great, walking distance to the circle, and very close to "John's Pancake, Montauk Bake Shop, Bars, Etc." The rooms and service are comfortable but do not justify the expensive nightly rate. The Saturday and Sunday poolside vibe was very calm and relaxing. I was expecting more of an upbeat party but I did not get that here. They had a DJ spinning but the atmosphere was very tranquil with most guests laying on the sun loungers/tanning. It was still an enjoyable atmosphere by all means, but I was just expecting a more exclusive feel and a more upbeat day party/lounge to justify the high prices, but my expectations were simply not met. It wasn't bad but I feel like for this town a standard clean motel would do just fine and I could have saved myself the unnecessary expense. I would personally suggest stopping by for a drink or two at the poolside bar if you are in the area on a weekend day if you are looking for a nice bar for a happy hour drink. After 7pm the pool/bar scene basically shuts down and guests begin to head into town. Conclusion: Decent hotel with clean rooms and a nice bar/lounge feel during the day, but if you could find a hotel that offers clean rooms and service for a more affordable price I would suggest staying there instead and stopping by the MBH for a drink at your leisure.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
We’re glad you found our property our property to be a great location. Sorry the music didn't meet your expectation but the music on our property is intended to create an upscale atmosphere that is “calm and relaxing” where guests can have a good time. There are a number of places nearby where you can get a more club-like scene but that’s just not us.

That being said we would welcome you to stay again or come by the property in 2015 and experience our new outdoor fire pit lounge areas. But I should warn you – “it’s cool but pretty laid and relaxing” place to have a drink, day or night, and hang out with friends. :-)
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay here. I've stayed at gurneys, panoramic view, royal atlantic..etc!I liked the location right in middle of town.Although not directly on ocean its grab a towel and your a few steps away.Customer service was excellent. The rooms are modern & very clean. Enjoyed the pool area. Loved the grill. Great Bar with
fabulous Margaritas. Enjoyed poolside music and DJ.Its priced better than other hotels in area.Would absolutely recommend MBH!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Lisa L
Really grateful for your enthusiastic endorsement and we do think that @TheMBH we offer a really special getaway experience that can’t be found anywhere else.

Looking forward to having you as a guest again and we've got some things up our sleeve to really enhance the experience.
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I came to this hotel with a bachelorette party. When we arrived at the hotel the rooms were nicely decorated however the AC was not on and it was almost unbearable to stand in there. Because they didn't have a phone in the room, I kept having to walk down to the front desk to see if there was something wrong with it. Finally we had someone offer to help turn it on. The only thing the staff could say was that we needed to wait an hour or so to let the room cool down. After the whole AC issue, we realized there was no place to put our clothes away- no closet, dresser.. no storage except for a few hooks. Mind you, we were 4 adult women who were staying for 2.5 days... we needed storage!
ANYWAY, we got passed the few issues at arrival and we ended up having a great first night. The next day we had a great time at the pool party UNTIL late afternoon when I went to go take a shower. Before I got in the shower, I took a "clean" towel to hang up next to the shower. Once I unfolded it, I realized there was a dark spot on the inside. I couldn't figure out what it was so I threw it on the floor and took another towel. After I threw the first towel on the floor, a horrible smell came from it... that's when I realized there was a piece of FECES on the towel!!! I was so disgusted that I went downstairs and asked for the General Manager- he came over and I whispered to him that we had an issue with one of our towels and told him what I found. He had a very calm reaction- ACTUALLY ALMOST NO REACTION AT ALL- and told me he would come upstairs to check it out. He came up and confirmed what it was after he examined it. He then proceeded to say that his staff would never do anything like that and it had to be one of the 4 ADULT 30-year-old women staying in the room. WAS HE KIDDING?? Not once did he apologize... and actually at one point I pointed out his lack of customer service because he wasn't even apologetic and his exact quote was "If I apologize for this then that would mean that we did something wrong and we did not, it was one of the ladies in the room" I COULDN'T BELIEVE THIS WAS HOW HE WAS TREATING ME. I asked him if we wanted me to take a picture of the towel and post it on Trip Advisor and he said "No, please don't... how about I give you guys a late check out" -- this guy was so rude and actually threatened to kick me and my bachlorette party out of the hotel "so you can find another place to stay for the night."
HAVE YOU EVER HAD AN EXPERIENCE LIKE THIS AT A HOTEL THAT YOU WERE PAYING $800 A NIGHT TO STAY IN??????? Do not go here!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
13 Thank Debra H
Pierre-Alex M, General Manager at The Montauk Beach House, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Dear Guest,

We received your friend's Tripadvisor review regarding the same main incident.
Please refer to our response to your friend's review.

As regards to the other issues that you mentioned at the beginning of your review with the AC unit not being on when you checked into your room, we apologize for that oversight.

As for the telephone and lack of storage in the room, our rooms have been designed in a minimal style however we are taking the numerous comments to heart and will be adding storage space next season to certain room categories big enough to accommodate a dresser. As for the lack of phones in the rooms, we feel that today most people use their cellular phones and that it was not necessary to add land lines.

We are sorry again that you could not reach the front desk and had to walk down to the lobby due to the lack of phone in our rooms. Meanwhile, it is clearly indicated inside each room on a pink card placed on your side table that our front desk staff can be reached at any time on a specific email address to answer any requests that you may have (extra towels or amenities, restaurant reservations etc).

We thank you again for choosing the Montauk Beach House to celebrate the bachelorette party of your friend in Montauk.

Best regards,