“Do Not Stay Here”

Ranked #1 of 3 Montauk B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Do Not Stay Here”
Reviewed 10 July 2012

After staying at this B&B many times over the years, I was treated very badly by the owner recently. He had double booked my Reserved Room and after making the trip all the way out to Montauk, I found that I was being offered a small dark room in the back instead. I have always booked front of the house Suites facing the Ocean. I would never stay in the room I was offered.

Sadly, I had to return to NYC 15 minutes after I arrived.

Now the Owner will not take a reservation from me ever again. Apparently he was upset that I was upset to find that my Reservation was taken by someone else. Clearly this is a mixed up mess of a place. I would look elsewhere. There are many Inns in Montauk that would be happy to have you stay with them.

Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
7 Thank dwat109
, Owner at Sunrise Guest House, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
In response to" Don't stay here"July 10,2012. This woman is talking about something that happened on Sept.19,2011 and low & behold I get an e-mail & a phone call from her July,9,2012
wanting to make a reservation at Sunrise Guest House "Again" I am the owner & what this woman wrote is a complete fabrication.When she arrived her name was on the chalk board for
room#3,a lovely oceanview suite.She went into a snit & saidshe was suppose to be in room # 2
also an oceanview suite.She refused to listen to anything I had to say,even the fact that the nice people in room # 2 said they would move to room # 3.She refused,said it was to late,and demanded her deposit back,which I gave back on a 4 nite stay & I lost 2 nites rental because
it was a last minute cancellation.She was informed we would not be taking a reservation from
her anymore(she was told this on July 9 or 10,2012) Hense her misguided response to Trip Advisor,Instead of just apologizing for her odd & unacceptable behavior. Owner/ Jim B.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Stayed in a larger room on the second floor, extremely relaxing hearing the waves roll in. The beach is just outside the door only 5-10 minutes walk to the village. (Breakfast is like home, also meaning that you have to make it yourself) Stayed a couple of days and would stay again!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank VajVaj
new york
Reviewed 18 June 2012

our room was beautiful, the bigger room overlooking the ocean. The room was very clean and right across the beach. The breakfast was simple and basic nothing fancy. Overall we had a great stay and would definitely return. Prices are very reasonable for the area.

Room Tip: we stayed in room number 2- very nice
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank yoplait23
New York
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I stay here every year. The guest house is clean and comfortable as well as quiet. The location is also great, right across the beach. Thank goodness they don't allow small children! It would ruin my escape!

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank Tripfunny
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Stayed here in April of 2012 and thought it was wonderful. The two people that run it are very welcoming and helpful. It was in a great location on a quite road, but also right across the street from the beach. I came in early season so there wasn't a lot to do around Montauk and ended up spending a lot of time in the room. The room was very cozy, I had just the single. Bed was INCREDIBLY comfortable! Bathroom was small, but fine for one person. Looking forward to my next visit!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank traveler_143286
Brooklyn
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We arrived a little before their 3 pm check in time but the proprietor was more than welcoming. He showed us to our room and gave us a tour of the place. We stayed in room 3, which had a cute little sitting room complete with couch, tv, and a gas fireplace and then a separate alcove for the bedroom. The room was lovely and bright, with two sets of windows looking out at the ocean across the street. It was still off-season when we were there and not a whole lot was going on in downtown Montauk so we took full advantage of the Sunrise’s hot tub located outside on the back porch. It was the perfect thing on a chilly evening. Breakfast consisted of a spread of cereals, breads, bagels, and English muffins, along with hard boiled eggs and an array of fresh fruit. The coffee was fresh! We found it very convenient that guests were allowed to use the refrigerators located in the common kitchen area, so we were able to keep our wine chilled. They also have an array of menus and flyers from local restaurants for delivery options in case you don’t feel like heading into town. It was about a 10 second walk from the porch to the beautiful sandy beach across the street and we spent the better part of a day walking up and down the shore. I’d recommend Sunrise to anyone looking for a quiet, low-key getaway!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms that face the ocean so you can hear the waves crashing at night and watch t...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dan G
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We saw the good reviews on trip advisor and called to make a reservation. When we mentioned that we are travelling with our (very calm!) baby, the host's attitude changed immediately and he declined to have us. We were baffled! It is quite outrageous, really. No desire to ever go there.

Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank ChristineK K
MontaukSwimfin, Manager at Sunrise Guest House, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
We are sorry that this couple finds us hostile to their private needs with a baby, but we are, after all, a small bed and breakfast, in a single house. And it is not so much that our website and brochure mentions that we do not accommodate children under 12, but when the wife first called, she said there was three people. I told her that the time period in question, two of our suites were already booked. The third suite, that we have, does not have a pull out bed in the living room. However, since the time period was not a weekend, she could have that suite and the small room next to it for FREE. She then tells me that the third person was a 3 and a half years old AND she also has a 6 month old baby, so she couldn’t use the extra room.

I then mentioned our restrictions on small children…….and all ‘heck’ broke loose. She became totally indignant. A minute later she has her husband call back on the phone to complain and threaten to write TripAdvisor, which he did.