“Rise with the sun sleep to the surf.”

Sunrise Guest House
Ranked #1 of 5 Montauk B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 February 2013

My husband and I spent a much to short weekend here. Jim was fabulous to us making great restaurant suggestions. The rooms are nicely appointed. We had the upstairs suite which had a wonderful view of the sunrise over the Atlantic. We stayed at plenty of places in Montauk and this was by far our favorite.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank shelnun

Reviewed 29 October 2012

If you are looking to stay in Montauk over the weekend this would be the place. It has a amazing view of the ocean and you can get to the beach by just crossing the street. It is also just about a mile away from the town center. As for the value you get for your money it exceeds expectations. The room was really clean and well maintained, the breakfast was just what we needed and the entire place had a certain calm soothing home like feeling to it. Add to all these the owner and his wife are really nice and friendly people who know exactly how to run a place like this. I would definitely recommend this to any one who is visiting Montauk and will definitely stay here again if I visit Montauk again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Deepak V
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Sunrise guest house is very small as B&Bs go, with only 4 rooms. We selected the small room for $125 and were very pleased. It was clean and neat. The breakfast is sparse compared to other B&Bs, but suited us just fine with fresh fruit, cereals, pastries, and hard boiled eggs. The B&B is directly across from an entrance to the nice beach and less than 1/2 mile to town for restaurants and shopping. We brought bicycles and easily rode to the lighthouse and harbor area.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Herpman8
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed here in August to finish off our American adventure. We found our stay very relaxing and a perfect end to a busy holiday. The guest house is in a lovely place with great views of the sea.
When we arrived there was no one at home to greet us but the blackboard idea works very well and the owners can't always be at home for arrivals. The only suggestion I would have to compliment the blackboard is a folder in each room giving a little information about the house, for eg the guest kitchen can be used at anytime to make a drink. This would have been helpful when we arrived during the evening and would have welcomed the opportunity to get a drink.
Personally, we liked the room not being cleaned every day as it afforded us the opportunity to relax and not rush to vacate the room every morning. However, there needs to be some better attention to detail with general maintenance, a lick of paint needed around the shower head and better housekeeping in the hallway. Way too much chlorine in the hot tub!
That said, we enjoyed our stay and Jim was always on hand around breakfast time if you needed anything.
The location is great, right opposite the lovely beach. We liked the walk into town in the evening, along the beach and back along the road.

Room Tip: Rooms 2or 3 have the best views
3  Thank Kip
Reviewed 31 August 2012

My first Time at the sunrise guest house was fantastic and now we are going to come back every year!!!! When you arrive there u feel like you are in your own home. The owners are some of the nicest people u will ever meet!!! The rooms are great and very clean! The view of the ocean from the porch is beatuiful! I loved waking up in the morning and looking out to the water. I have such an amazing time and I know that if u go there u will feel the same way!

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Karen P
Reviewed 29 August 2012

This place is overall ok but nothing special, and actually maybe below average. It's redeeming quality is that it is very close to the beach, which may be all that matters. It is not an easy walk to town, though. You would want to bike or drive.

Our main issue was that the owners/staff were absent and relatively unfriendly the entire time. We showed up early evening on Friday and no one was there to greet us. No big deal and they told us that could happen. But when we didn't really meet anyone in charge the next morning, afternoon or night, we began to get a bit put off. Half of the B&B experience is a warm and inviting atmosphere, and unfortunately the vibe of the place is one of borderline neglect/you should be lucky to fine a place to stay in Montauk. Also not meeting anyone means we weren't told certain things, like you have to tell them before 10am if you want your room cleaned that day. The only time they were present was when my wife was checking out on Monday so that they could collect the balance of our payment.

The rooms themselves are average but not great. Spacious but old and cheap. It's Montauk, so unless you want to pay $$, I guess this is what is available. My wife was disappointed by there being no hair dryer, conditioner or body lotion. I reached out to the host about this but by the time I was actually able to get in touch with him, I felt it wasn't worth asking. About a third of the light bulbs were out in our room (although the owner fixed that).

Breakfast is a cold breakfast and not a great one at that. Fruit and cereal. We came down late one morning and asked the hostess if we could get a quick bite (like toasting an English muffin with butter type of bite). Although the toaster and English muffins were literally right in front of us (like awkwardly "right there" in front of us), she said that we had gotten down there too late. I mean we would have been glad to do it ourselves...

Overall I would give it a C or C-. There are places close by (e.g., next door, Surfside Inn) that look much more promising. This is actually my first Tripadvisor review. For some reason I felt compelled to urge future Montaukers to try to find another place before settling for this.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for one of the upstairs rooms.
6  Thank Louis F
MontaukSwimfin, Owner at Sunrise Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2012

Sorry the aboveperson did not enjoy his & her stay.I will try to answer the points mentioned.
On their arrival we were shopping at BJ's in Riverhead for supplies for the Guest House,in the summer everday is like the week-end.Got back at 7;30,Showered & went out to dinner.Their name was on the chaulk board Room # 2(which many people request over & over) Key in the door. The next day"not morning",Louis asked if we served "lunch" it was 12:30My wife told him
everything was put away & that Surfside next door serves a nice lunch.
We serve a continental breakfast from 8am to 11am everyday as advertized & written on the chaulk board.That week-end continental breakfast consisted of the following:
Blueberries,strawberries,Mango,Honeydew & Banana's -2 cold cereals Cherrios & Wheat Chex
instant oatmeal,English muffins,Whole Wheat muffins,Bagels,Raisen bread &hard boiled eggs.
2 different butters,smart balance,Philly cream cheese & 3 different Jams,coffee,tea & OJ.
We advertise a continental breakfast and I sit in the dining area,read the paper,& watch to see
when more coffee is needed.I don't know how Louis could miss me & I try to say good morning to everyone that comes down for breakfast.
We get a lot of repeat customers and quite a few request room#2 because of the mix of antiques
and new furniture,plus the south & west view of the sea.Each room is different w/sea view.
Louis is right,we need to add conditioner(my wife brings her own when we travel,she only uses Aveda) &I should check light bulbs more often,but usually it is more noticed by customers.
I'm sorry Louis did'nt mention that we use Ralph Lauren bedding.
We try to make everyone welcome all the time,but obviously it did'nt work for Louis.
Have a nice Day, Jim, " Owner" Sunrise Guest House

Reviewed 20 August 2012

There are only 4 rooms which are quite different? The value during the week for the small rooms is good. However prices for the suites are high on the weekend and a bit over priced. There are nice features, such as a beautiful beach being across the street, where you can sun, swim, walk or run, there is use of a communal refrigerator and the guest house has beautiful antiques. The inn and the rooms were all clean. There is also a lovely porch in the front of the inn and there is a nice living room in which to sit but it has no AC. The coffee is good.

We were in one of the suites where the AC did not work and the room had an attic effect leaving the room at about 86 degrees, hotter than the outside temp. The first day and night we couldn't sleep or even be in the room and were prepared to cut our trip short and leave, but the owner was able to switch us to a room with AC and the next few days were wonderful.

The in is on a busy street and if windows are open you will hear road noise not waves. There is a water view from the upstairs room.

Wi Fi worked intermittently only on the first floor.

Best rooms are # 2 upstairs or #1 which is on the bottom floor, cooler, and has a private deck.

Jim is very knowledgable about the area and has good restaurant recommendations

Room Tip: Room 1 or 2 are nicest. Best value are the single rooms, while small are nice. Room 3 gets hot. Sinc...
3  Thank Adams