“We LOVE this place” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
manhattan beach, ca
“We LOVE this place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

This is a great place for family down time.
We love the low-key facilities. If you need luxe amenities, then this place is definitely not for you.

Its right on the beach and the ocean front units have their own BBQ grill.
There's a pool, tennis court and simple activities room which are all great for kids.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank m t

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

We have been coming to Driftwood for years, and it just keeps getting better and better. The location next to Hither Hills is unmatched, as you have 2 miles of private protected secluded beach right next door if you want to get away. We stayed in the same room as always, #11, which is hands down the best room in the hotel. Newly renovated this year, all new appliances, loads of outlets, beautiful stone and tile work, dishwasher, huge fridge, gorgeous bathroom, better than our home! And open the back door and you are on the dunes leading to the beach! Room 11 is the closest room in the entire property to the beach. This is the best property in the entire east end, and room 11 is the best room. You can't go wrong!!

Room Tip: Ask for room 11, it is the best!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

Let's talk about the WORST - handsdown WORST - customer service in the world. I would NEVER recommend staying at this resort. I was scheduled to arrive in Montauk for a wedding on a Friday night and had a reservation to stay the night at Driftwood that night. I arrived at 9PM to Montauk and went straight to the rehearsal dinner. While I was attending the rehearsal I received a phone call from the hotel, but NO VOICEMAIL. When I called back after the rehearsal dinner, the office was closed. Having never been to Montauk before, I was so worried that I would not be able to get into my room. The bride's family who lives in Montauk told me that I should come and stay at their home, worried that I would not be able to get into my room. Talk about an inconvenience. The next morning I went to Driftwood at 8AM to find an envelope on the door with instructions on how to get to my room & notifying me that my room door would be open. First - who would leave a room door to a hotel open?! Anyone could enter that room while it is unattended and unlocked. Secondly - why did no one from the hotel leave me a voicemail to let me know that they would be doing this? I took the map and walked to my room, which was so hard to find because the xerox copy had not been updated since who knows when, and the resolution of the map was horrific. Upon finding my room, I see that the door is actually OPEN. There were bugs in the room from the night before. I was actually worried to go in the room, thinking anyone could be in there. I was so upset, and the office did not open for another 30 mins. When I went to the office the assistant manager who was on duty was so rude to me, telling me that it was "not in their policy to leave me a voicemail". It seemed like common sense to me. I was so disgusted by the way that I was treated, I left. I didn't even want to enter the room because I was afraid they would use any reason to not refund me. After the wedding weekend I called to speak to the manager Sandy. It was ridiculously hard to get her on the phone - she never once returned any of my phone calls. When I finally did get her on the phone the attitude that she gave me was UNREAL. You would think that she would have some hospitality training after being appointed a manager. She didn't want to listen to my story - said that their policy is to leave the room open and a notification on the door. No where on their website is this explained - and lastly no one notified me that this would be the case if I were to arrive late. Ridiculous. She put me on hold, and then transferred me without telling me to the assistant manager who did not help me the weekend I was there! It was obvious that she did not want to deal with the issue. When I asked to speak to her again she picked up the phone and said - "MAM, WE ARE GIVING YOU A REFUND." Great.... but the whole point was for me to explain to them how ridiculous this practice is, and unsafe. You would think that a manager would want to hear about liability issues with their hotel, but she did not want to even apologize. I would recommend never staying there. The room is not worth it - my room was full of bugs - the bed was super hard - the shower was like it belonged in a trailer. Not worth the money, and definitely not worth the attitude if you are looking for a relaxing vacation. Stay at a different resort. I hope this helps anyone who is thinking of traveling there, and helps to keep them from having the same experience I did.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank TheesM
, Manager at Driftwood on the Ocean, responded to this review, 1 July 2012
In reference to the above mentioned post I would like to say that I am sorry for the inconvenience you experienced, we do have a late arrival procedure that we do follow, I realize since you arrived in Montauk later than planned, and didn't have enough time to check in and relax before your rehearsal dinner, it must have been very trying for you and I understand that when you called and no one answered you were concerned. Our office is open until 11pm and we have an on sight superintedant who resides on the property for lock outs etc. I did not intend to be short with you and I was made aware by my assistant of your issues and concerns that is why I refunded your money. I take pride in my position as Manager and again I apologize for the misunderstanding. As you can see from other posts Driftwood is a clean facility with friendly staff,who go above and beyond to make peoples stay enjoyable. I would also like to extend a courtesy to you and invite you back to driftwood when you have time to come and relax and see all that we have to offer.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

My husband and I stayed one night at Driftwood in early May when we went out to the Hamptons to investigate summer rentals. The room was lovely and spacious and recently renovated. Our only complaint was that due to the cool temperatures and humidity, the floor was cold and damp. If you didn't wear slippers or shoes your feet got wet walking on the floor barefoot. The proximity to the beach is great. The staff and manager were very helpful. We would return to this property-and my husband would bring slippers.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathi H
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

What a lovely little oceanside spot in Montauk! My husband and I stayed here for the weekend in mid-September 2011. We arrived on Friday to a perfectly clean and organized 2 room oceanfront (dune & ocean view). The traffic was awful coming from the city, so we were happy to see that they had thought of everything for us, as we were hungry! Picked up some groceries and grilled by the moonlight. They even provided wood and charcoal. We did have to run out quickly for lighter fluid though, as the front desk had given away the last bottle earlier that day. The place was actually pretty full for the slower season, but still quiet and relaxing. The room was stocked with tons of kitchen utensils. The only thing is that there's no oven (only a stove top), but you don't really need it. The room was clean and orderly, and everything worked. Not the most swanky or up-to-date interiors, so don't expect to be floored by that. Also, a lot of tiny ants in the kitchen, but I suppose it's to be expected being right there at the dunes. The pool was clean and refreshing. My husband did go for a swim. We walked on the ocean, cooked dinner and brunch, and visited nearby East Hampton and the Montauk lighthouse, of course. All in all, it was absolutely enjoyable. I give it 4 stars only because I reserve 5 stars for perfection, but this is as good as it gets. Thank you for a lovely anniversary by the ocean!

Room Tip: I definately recommend the oceanfront rooms, even though they are a little more expensive. Totally w...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Erin G
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

Our family has been going to the Driftwood for over 40 years. I basically grew up there as a kid in the summers. The best part of the Driftwood is the beach. Not only is the Driftwood one of the closest properties to the ocean, but since Hither Hills is right next door, that means you have much more beach and privacy than if you stay at one of the other hotels further down the strip.

The quiet is also noticeable. At night it seems like you have the place to yourself, even though the parking lot could be full. Kids are definitely welcome and there's a playground and pool for them too.

It has gone through quite a few changes including ownership. Currently, it is a co-op which means each of the rooms are individually owned and managed by a management company. Although the property does have minimum standards, all rooms are not the same. Which also means some of the rooms may not be updated but many of the rooms have gone above and beyond to make it as nice as possible. That will really explain why the reviews here are across the board, it really depends on the luck of the draw as to which room type you get.

I do have to admit, we own a room by the pool. I fear that at least one of the reviews might be aimed at us. Which means we need to do a better job of keeping the room updated (the room was re-done during the winter of 2010-11) AND get on the management company to hire better people so when there are issues they are addressed quickly and professionally.

We do take pride in making sure our room is comfortable and well taken care of. That way, everyone that stay's there, loves it as much as we do!

Room Tip: Ask the question,
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank seaorskisam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

We stayed at the Driftwood Room room #11 in mid-July for a week. Oceanfront room, right off the beach. Fabulous location, views, sounds, etc. Moonlight off the water, the works. Room is newly renovated with every amenity, kitchen is amazing, brand new everything. All new appliances including glass cooktop, dishwasher, huge fridge, surround sound system, free high-speed wireless internet, huge flat screen TV, king bed, ceiling fans, AC, beautiful tiled bathroom. Complete 180 from old room which we had stayed in before. Now it is gorgeous! Ask for it specifically, other rooms have been renovated but not like this. ROOM #11 ON THE OCEAN - BEST ROOM IN THE PLACE!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for Room #11 - king bed 2-room suite facing ocean, best location at the hotel
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank worldtrvlr55
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montauk
Gurney's Montauk Resort & Seawater Spa
#12 of 39 in Montauk
Montauk Blue Hotel
Montauk Blue Hotel
#10 of 39 in Montauk

Been to Driftwood on the Ocean? Share your experiences!