“Perfect Getaway”

Driftwood on the Ocean
Ranked #19 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
“Perfect Getaway”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I stayed here with my wife and 1.5 year old over Memorial Day Weekend and was very pleased. The staff was very nice and accommodating (we got into town earlier than expected and they expedited room prep and check-in). We had a beautifully renovated beach front unit complete with kitchen and living area. There was ample parking and the complex was quiet. The beach was steps away from the back door of the unit (towels, umbrellas and lounge chairs are all set-up), and there was deck area with lounge chairs and a grill for bbq'ing. The hotel has great wifi. Even though the unit had a coffee makers, the front office had coffee prepared every morning which was great when I didn't feel like brewing my own. My wife enjoyed beach front yoga classes and my son enjoyed playing with other kids at the hotel. There's a great pool, playground area and basketball court for the kids as well. The hotel also had beautifully maintained tennis courts. We had no problem getting cabs for the short ride into town and the hotel itself has a couple of great spots within walking distance (Clam Bar and Cyril's).

Room Tip: I'd recommend the beach front units.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rob P

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed over the weekend. Arrived late night after a wedding. The keys were left in a safe lock with the instructions to open it and get to our room sent by e-mail. No front desk or check-in, which I liked because made me feel more like arriving to “my place”. Once inside, the room had two queen’s, and a kitchenet with stools a small fridge and a washing sink. Fairly good set up for a beach vacation all though we didn't carry any food with us. That was something disappointing, no breakfast served nor any place to grab something to eat, except vending machines with chips and whatnot. About sleep, which is the important aspect: the mattresses had those protective plastic covers that make you sweat and that produce a disturbing sound. The beach, amazing. Nice and quiet place to relax. Not so crowded, the next hotel-bungalow is pretty far away though you can see the deck chairs on the sand. I would repeat, only remove the mattress cover.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

The room was great for its value but the sheets were dated. The hotel was very accommodating with our late checkin (4am actually). They gave me clear directions and were very accommodating with my requests. It was close to the beach which was good but it is still a bit chilly. I would definitely return to see the improvements they have made after seeing all the work they were doing during our stay (this was not a problem) you couldn't hear the construction at all.
Overall great time

• Stayed May 2014
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I have been traveling to Montauk for the past several years and am enthusiastic to share that my stay at the Driftwood this weekend was by far my favorite holiday out east. The staff and management were a pleasure to work with in arranging our weekend getaway and had our room prepared far earlier than check in. The accommodations at this hotel far exceeded my expectations:

The room was just updated (really nice kitchen, bath and flat screen in living room) - best I've seen in Montauk

A BBQ, dining table, lounge chairs right outside our deck - same set up allocated for each room

The beach staff was warm and inviting - quickly setting up our chairs, providing towels and an umbrella.

We had a great weekend and will be back again soon.

thanks!

Maryn G and Brad Z

Room Tip: our room was adjacent to the main office
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank maryn G
Reviewed 4 May 2014

this trip is something me and my bf plan in a very short noticed, we checked in on may 3rd room #66 for one night and we also got it good deal i believe, well my picture will explain everything about this hotel, we stayed in room where its not ocean view but still we must say its a worth of what we paid and we enjoyed our self and had lots of fun, everything in room was well organized and clean, town and light house is only few miles away from the hotel. and yes we are definitely planning to visit there soon, thumps up

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pema d
Uberlingen, Germany
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Oceanfront rooms are nice for sure, beach is ok - nothing outstanding - its the last hotel on the beach so you can go away from crowds if desire. Pool is so so. Far from center, shops and its good and bad at the same time, there are restaurants not far.

Room Tip: Take more expensive but worth it oceanfront room
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Semua
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Just got back from 2 weeks in Room #11 and must say the place is still getting better. They have upgraded the gym, resurfaced the tennis courts and refurbed the front office. Looks fantastic. Beach was cleanest I have ever seen it. They have really done a lot of work in the off season. New dune grass planted, rooms keep getting upgraded/renovated, just a fantastic place. Montauk has loads of new restaurants, bars and stores. Really getting a very cool vibe. I love this place, my kids did not want to leave. Room 11 is the place to be, right next to ocean accessway and directly across from pool. Absolutely pristine beach and crystal clear pool. Had 3 bonfires out on beach and watched meteor show as well as people sending up lanterns all over the place. Possibly the best vacation we ever had in Montauk. Hit Cyril's a couple of times, what a scene! Best drinks on Long Island, hands down. Only way to make this place better is to have food/drinks delivered out to beach! LOL! So worth the money, be sure to ask for Room 11 with King Bed, full kitchen (better than ours at home), big TV, wifi, full AC, huge closet, numerous amenities. Loved it! Thanks again Driftwood.....

Room Tip: Room 11. Best value, amenities and location. Fully renovated in past 2 years. Awesome!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank worldtrvlr55
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montauk
Ocean Surf Resort
Montauk Blue Hotel
Montauk Blue Hotel
#9 of 39 in Montauk
Montauk Yacht Club Resort & Marina

Been to Driftwood on the Ocean? Share your experiences!