“Basically a Box on the beach”

Wavecrest Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #23 of 39 Hotels in Montauk
New York City, New York
“Basically a Box on the beach”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The room was a box on the beach. Convenient, but you don't want to spend too much time on the room.

I have stayed at a few places along the Amagansett, Montauk coastline so I figured I would try Wavecrest. Luckily I relied on TripAdvisor so I knew what I might be walking into. Low expectations were met. The beach towels were terrible. As someone described the towels, they scratched your skin.

Most of the staff was nice and very helpful. However, the guys working the towels and chairs at the beach were awful. They drive the 4x4 all over the beach, all day long ruining a quiet day on the beach. The other resorts carry/drag he chairs and are much more relaxing.

It seems everyone who works at the resort has a 4x4 and drives it everywhere. Maybe if they delivered the sheets, towels and cleaning supplies all at once they would be able to walk around.

The room was clean but very damp. The room has a de-humidifier that is very loud. But there was some black mold on the doorjam in the bathroom. The maintenance guy repaired it when he heard about it, but what was the housekeeper doing? . Also, the garbage can under the sink was full AFTER we checked in.

The closet was in the bathroom, which made it tough to get dressed and means the clothes in the closet get damp from the shower.

The guests seem to be a party crowd and swear so much I felt like I was back in the Army. You could hear them over the balcony, on the beach. My friend even moved away from people on the beach because she was so offended.

Basically, the location is great but if you can afford something else I would recommend you go there.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank NYHavingFunNow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Port Washington, New York, United States
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We stayed in a studio oceanfront room in July. Fully renovated with a big king bed, kitchenette and sofa. The room was spacious, the deck was front row seat to the ocean! Couldn't beat this. We've gone to Wavecrest on and off for 16 years. They have improved the rooms, kept them clean and cared for, and the property can't be beat with regard to being on the ocean. We will return again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Linda W
New York
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Room 105 was fully renovated suite with direct ocean front deck and king size bed with sleep sofa in living room. The staff made check in and out a breeze. I decided to go back in late August for rest and relaxation at it's own beach...replete with complementary lounges and umbrellas.

• Stayed July 2013
Stamford
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Room had great view of lovely beach, but room smelled awful. Pillows smelled of body odor. Bring your own beach towels, as the ones they have are good for an infant! We were up all night as our room was near a walkway, so we heard footsteps til 2 am and then again at 6 am. Good to get back home! Only stay in top level rooms.......and take your allergy meds as air in rooms will have you sneezing all night.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Carole C

Travellers are raving about these Montauk hotels

Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This is my second stay at Wavecrest. We luckily had an updated room. It was clean and pleasant with a nice view of the ocean.
There are a lot of steps to get to your room, glad I only had one bag. The towels were one degree better than the ones we had in Ethiopia, they should really update them. It was convenient to our friends house so it worked, but certainly
No bargain.

Stayed July 2013
new york
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I have stayed at this particular hotel 4 times. We have always gone for a girls getaway but this time around we decided to bring our families. We have always been very pleased with the studio room. Being that I came with my family, we got the one bedroom suite in the overlook building. The room was very disappointing. We had very old furnishings, very old décor, and the walls and floors were buckling from the heat. I have a small baby and the smell was musty not the best for a small baby. My friend and her family on the other hand, were in a beautifully updated room in the same area, for the same price. We love the wavecrest for its location, beach, views, and atmosphere. I also love that the beach provides towels, chairs, and umbrellas. The bbq area is great and the hotel allows bonfires on the beach. We would stay again but will definitely express the need for an updated room. I am rating this room so high based upon prior visits and our overall trip to Montauk. The room this time around was really subpar.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank dme57
Long Island
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Oceanfront good. Built on a mountain, not so good. The beach is a long way from the rooms and one way is UPHILL!. The sound of the ocean is tempting, but be sure you've used the bathroom first. The rooms are inconsistently decorated, I didn't mind mine. But it was faaaaaaaaar from the beach.
The indoor (why?) pool was ok, but......it closes at 6. No night swimming with the family here. The gentleman that oversees the pool was wonderful.
The main BBQ area by the pool was nice. The deck, lounges and tables were nice. Again, far from some rooms though.
Very nice cleaning crews, pool staff and chair guys. Reservations, not so much.

Overall, this could be a gem, but there are some strange caveats. Bring your beach wheels if you go instead of lugging your things back and forth.

Go to town. You'll really like it and the kids will love the dips in the road.

Room Tip: I've heard the corner rooms are bigger. Ask for a lower floor for just a bit less walking.