“Somewhat disappointed...”

Ranked #9 of 36 Restaurants in Montgomery
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Description: The Cauldron has been serving the Hudson Valley region for over 30yrs as a Coletta Family business. We offer Home-made pasta, breads, soups & artesian pizza's!!! Daily specails avaiable & Hudson Valley's ONLY Oxygen Bar. On/off site catering avaiable.
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Went to this place based on other TA and other reviews. We went early on a Friday afternoon to beat the crowd. There was no one there so we were seated immediately. We had several questions for the waiter, but he did not seem informed about what the soup of the day was, if they had a certain topping for pizza. He had to "go ask" the kitchen twice. Waiters need to know what they have or don't have, period.

We placed our orders for soups and the waiter did not ask if we were also ready to order main course. He placed order for soups and once they came, he then asked us for our entree order. We ordered some gourmet pizzas which appeared to be nice on the menu. We waited 45 minutes for pizzas and the restaurant was empty. What's up with that? Once the pizzas came they were good, but not worth that kind of wait at all. What were they doing in the kitchen all that time escapes me. Also, there was some nice music playing in the dining room but it was competing with other loud music that was blaring in the kitchen. This should not be. There should be no music in kitchen if it can be heard in dining room, period. Each time waiter opened door to kitchen the music was that much louder. I can't believe that mgmt. or anyone else has not noticed this. Also, if you have a nice car, leave it at home. Their parking lot is gravel and full of large holes from the winter. It was a total mud bog and I had to dart around the mud filled holes to get in and out of the parking lot. Then I needed a carwash due to all the mud on my car. I feel the food is good but all other things that were not attended to made for a bad experience. I hope mgmt reads this review and makes some changes. Great potential, but potential does not drive people to come back.

2  Thank OpinionsGalore

Reviewed 27 February 2013

Not much curb appeal, but don't let that stop you. Warm inviting dining room with classic background music. Good service and friendly waitstaff. Very reasonable prices and good homemade food. Our group of 7 ordered the anti-pasta platter appetizer. We thought of ordering 2, but the waitress assured us that it was a good portion. Ordered one and were happy we did. Seafood bisque soup was one option with dinner and was simply delicious. Entrees all good, nice portions. Would return and recommend.

Reviewed 24 February 2013 via mobile

Bought a Restaurant.com fundraising gift card from NFA volleyball players. The restaurant choices are usually pretty limited and we typically only go to Avacados with the gift certificates. Last night we didn't head out for dinner until 9:30pm which is way too late for Mexican food so we decided to give the Cauldron a try and both my husband and I are glad we did!! The only negative I can say it the plush couch that surrounds the room is the most uncomfortable thing I have sat on in a long time so I pulled a chair over and sat next to my husband and not across from him. The food in one word.... Amazing!!! I haven't enjoyed a dinner this much in quite a while. This is obviously homemade, fresh Italian food. Fresh herbs, homemade pasta.. Delicious! The complimentary foccocia bread was the best I have had. Next time I wouldn't even bother with an appetizer although the sausage bruschetta was amazing too. The room is small and intimate. Waitress was attentive and accommodating. This is a must visit for anyone who loves food!!

Reviewed 13 February 2013 via mobile

From great food to an amazing drink with an ambiance that takes you to another country this is a place you deserve to experience. With the family, special date, or friends your experience will be one to remember. Definitely a favorite of mine.

Reviewed 14 December 2012

So glad I decided to give this place a try. Server was very friendly, food was great and nice size portions. Overall a wonderful experience.