“The best B+B ever!!!”

The Borland B&B & Brunch House
Ranked #1 of 2 Montgomery B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 October 2007

Stayed at the Borland in June 07, and i can honestly say it is one of the best B+B we have ever stayed in, Bill and Carol are two of the loveliest people we have met, and made us feel very welcome. The breakfasts are gorgeous, and the rooms are beautiful and also very clean,(the sheets on the bed are wonderful and soft). The whole house is full of antiques and very tastefully decorated throughout.
We went to the Wards Bridge Inn for a meal and the food is lovely and the staff are very welcoming.
On the whole we throughly enjoyed our stay at the Borland and would recommend it to anyone! we will go back there one day, i just hope it's soon.
Thank you Bill and Carol for a wonderful stay and for making us so welcome in your home.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank annjugs
There are newer reviews for The Borland B&B & Brunch House

Reviewed 6 September 2007

This is the first time we stayed in a B&B and we have a great experience. The hosts were very nice and accommodating. The place is close to good restaurants,church,parks and etc. Good breakfast and clean sheets(i agree with the other person who gave a review before).

• Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank brownpebbles
Reviewed 5 February 2007

The Borland House is a beautiful B&B, in a great location in a beautiful historic village, has the cleanest sheets I've ever experienced away from home, is beautifully decorated, and the breakfast was truly delicious!!! Carol and Bill are a lovely couple, and made us feel right at home. We will definitely return. Great romantic get-away for couples.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LoveTravel22NewYork
Reviewed 7 January 2007

I barely ever write reviews online like this, and even less frequently when it is to boast the way I plan to now regarding the Borland House. I traveled from Washington, DC to stay at the Borland House. Having lived in such a metropolitan area for so long, I have grown accustomed to being on the move, and having more than enough options at hand. So, the idea of being in a small town like Montgomery on a very rainy day caused me a bit of anxiety, yet the reality of the Borland House was the antidote.

Bill greeted my mother and I at the door with a smile and two bubbly glasses of champagne. My mother and I headed up the regal, yet inviting staircase to our rooms and dried off with the soft and fluffy towels. After drying off, we sat in the parlor and struck up a wonderful converation with Carol, accompanied by soft jazz in the background. Carol knew of so many different things to do in the area - that ranged from an art gallery, to a local food festival. Immediately, the beauty and richness of the area became obvious.

We ate dinner at the Borland House - a salad, fresh pasta dish, with a peace glace for desert (the desert I've thought about many times since - I must admit!). We had the Borland breaktast after one of the best sleeps I have had in years. The house and company were so inviting, even when the sun came out, we stayed in.

In other words, the Borland House,and its owners - Bill and Carol - are my combined cure for a rainy day. I recommend this place to any city slicker in need of a reminder of what good food, good company and a German pancake can do for the soul!

• Stayed: January 2007
2  Thank jlcWashingtonDC
Reviewed 3 November 2006

My mother, sister, and I stayed at the Borland House for two nights while on our annual Mother/Daughter trip. This year was the year to explore the Hudson River Valley. I found this B&B through TripAdvisor.com and was drawn to it by the comments about how warm and inviting the hosts, Bill and Carol, were to other guests who had stayed at the Borland House. We also found this to be true. Of the many B&B's I have stayed at through the years, Bill and Carol were just awesome!

It was very clear from the first that Bill and Carol love people. They have owned this B&B for about a year and half and their enthusiasm was evident. They went out of their way to make us comfortable, from water bottles in a little guest refrigerator in the kitchen, to big fluffy soft bath towels, to the wine and cheese gathering in the evening. It was a very relaxing place to start out your day and to look forward to coming back to at the end of your day.

The first morning we had breakfast by the "remote" controlled fireplace in the dining room. The "German Pancake with Fruit" was excellent. The breakfast menu on both days was interesting and varied just enough to be pleasing.

The house, built in 1789, does show its wear in the two older parts of the house, but that is part of its charm. My sister stayed in one of the older parts of the house (in the Hanlon room), and my mother and I stayed in the new Artist's Annex. All of the rooms were very clean and had nice comfortable beds.

My sister really loves antiques and was very interested in the "Blue Shutter Antiques" shop that is located in the original kitchen of the house which features the original hearth and beehive oven. The shop's speciality is European enamelware which Carol and Bill purchase on their frequent buying trips to France. My sister purchased a great piece of enamelware for a very good price, and I bought several interesting items as well.

There is occasional traffic noise from the state highway which is located behind the B&B. I use a sound machine so usually noise is blocked fairly well. Most of the night was just fine, however, several times during each night there would be a loud noise caused by large trucks coming down an incline and when they braked it caused this noise. It was not frequent, but for people who are light sleepers they might want to be aware of this.

Also, for people visiting from other states/communities that use sirens to warn people of tornadoes. If you hear a siren going off while you are in the area, it is NOT a tornado siren, but simply a siren for the volunteer fire department.

However, both of these items are very minor, and should have minimal impact on your time spent at the Borland House. To sum it up, if you are looking for a relaxing time in a nice B&B with really great hosts, then you should have wonderful time at the Borland House.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family
3  Thank TeddyTexas
Reviewed 26 October 2006

A family I work for told me about the wine trail in upstate NY, and we decided to plan a last minute weekend getaway with another couple. It was also my friends birthday, so we thought this would be a nice and different way to spend her birthday. After being told by a travel agent that there were no available B&B's I decided to do some research on my own, and I found the Borland House online. My husband called the next day and spoke to Bill, the owner. He said that Bill was so nice and accommodating on the phone, and he even held the room a few minutes while we called our friends to confirm. We booked, and were off, we stayed from Sat to Sun. We are from the city, and are always suspicious of country towns, fortunately, the Borland House will put any suspicions to rest. We were greeted by Bill at the door, (he makes you feel comfortable instantly!) and he gave us a nice tour of the house. The house is beautiful, it has three different parts, all built in different time periods. Everything is immaculate and up to date, i.e. modern appliances in the kitchen. Somehow it still remains quaint and comforable and there is such a calm wonderful feeling throughout the house. We met Carol on our tour and she was fantastic. She made our dinner reservations for us and was so sweet and caring. We stayed in the Artists annex, the 2006 addition.. as Bill likes to call it. It was spotless and tastefully decorated. The beds were so comfortable and they leave cute little after 8 mints at your bedside. The bathroom was immaculate and new, there was not a single speck on the white tile floor, and there were fluffy, clean towels in our rooms. I loved the room but really wanted to find a comforable chair downstairs to curl up and read a book in. We didn't have time to stop and and buy one, but the book I wanted to read was in their house! There are interesting books all over the house, on shelves and in cases tucked here and there. Bill drew us a map of the area and wineries, and reccommended a little coffee shop, the Daily Bean, for lunch. The lunch was delicious, taragon chilcken salad with apples and walnuts and butternut squash soup. We went to the wine and cheese reception at 6:30 and had a chance to meet all the other guests. The snacks were delicious. Bill put out smoked gouda, among other cheeses and some fantastic dips, veggies and crackers. The conversation was great and everything was so nice and stress free. Breakfeast the next day was amazing. The table was set beautifully and coffee and juice were served with bananna cake. We were then served yourgut, with fruit and granola in fluted glasses, followed by an apple french toast with home made whipped cream and cantolupe slices. The breakfeast was finished with a lemon sorbet. Absolutley perfect.
Do not pre-judge the B&B, shops and restaurants by their apperances or small town locations, everything is great inside. I can not reccommend this vacation enough and I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with friends
3  Thank PsyED
Reviewed 8 September 2006

The Borland House is a stunning 19th century house, fully equipped for 21st century living. We stayed in the newly added "Artist Annex"--cozy and clean, without those privacy concerns of shared bathrooms, thin walls and 'strangers in the hallways' we've found common to other B&Bs.

We visited mid-week on short notice. Exploring Montgomery's quaint streets, walking to dinner, relaxing on the front porch and feeling completely at ease helped us unwind after too many weeks of the daily grind. Next time, we hope to stay for two nights because we weren't ready to leave!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank biking
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montgomery
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Montgomery
#1 of 9 in Middletown
The Thayer Hotel
The Thayer Hotel
#1 of 1 in West Point

Been to The Borland B&B & Brunch House? Share your experiences!