“The best B&B”

The Borland B&B & Brunch House
Ranked #1 of 2 Montgomery B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 26 October 2006

A family I work for told me about the wine trail in upstate NY, and we decided to plan a last minute weekend getaway with another couple. It was also my friends birthday, so we thought this would be a nice and different way to spend her birthday. After being told by a travel agent that there were no available B&B's I decided to do some research on my own, and I found the Borland House online. My husband called the next day and spoke to Bill, the owner. He said that Bill was so nice and accommodating on the phone, and he even held the room a few minutes while we called our friends to confirm. We booked, and were off, we stayed from Sat to Sun. We are from the city, and are always suspicious of country towns, fortunately, the Borland House will put any suspicions to rest. We were greeted by Bill at the door, (he makes you feel comfortable instantly!) and he gave us a nice tour of the house. The house is beautiful, it has three different parts, all built in different time periods. Everything is immaculate and up to date, i.e. modern appliances in the kitchen. Somehow it still remains quaint and comforable and there is such a calm wonderful feeling throughout the house. We met Carol on our tour and she was fantastic. She made our dinner reservations for us and was so sweet and caring. We stayed in the Artists annex, the 2006 addition.. as Bill likes to call it. It was spotless and tastefully decorated. The beds were so comfortable and they leave cute little after 8 mints at your bedside. The bathroom was immaculate and new, there was not a single speck on the white tile floor, and there were fluffy, clean towels in our rooms. I loved the room but really wanted to find a comforable chair downstairs to curl up and read a book in. We didn't have time to stop and and buy one, but the book I wanted to read was in their house! There are interesting books all over the house, on shelves and in cases tucked here and there. Bill drew us a map of the area and wineries, and reccommended a little coffee shop, the Daily Bean, for lunch. The lunch was delicious, taragon chilcken salad with apples and walnuts and butternut squash soup. We went to the wine and cheese reception at 6:30 and had a chance to meet all the other guests. The snacks were delicious. Bill put out smoked gouda, among other cheeses and some fantastic dips, veggies and crackers. The conversation was great and everything was so nice and stress free. Breakfeast the next day was amazing. The table was set beautifully and coffee and juice were served with bananna cake. We were then served yourgut, with fruit and granola in fluted glasses, followed by an apple french toast with home made whipped cream and cantolupe slices. The breakfeast was finished with a lemon sorbet. Absolutley perfect.
Do not pre-judge the B&B, shops and restaurants by their apperances or small town locations, everything is great inside. I can not reccommend this vacation enough and I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank PsyED
There are newer reviews for The Borland B&B & Brunch House

Reviewed 8 September 2006

The Borland House is a stunning 19th century house, fully equipped for 21st century living. We stayed in the newly added "Artist Annex"--cozy and clean, without those privacy concerns of shared bathrooms, thin walls and 'strangers in the hallways' we've found common to other B&Bs.

We visited mid-week on short notice. Exploring Montgomery's quaint streets, walking to dinner, relaxing on the front porch and feeling completely at ease helped us unwind after too many weeks of the daily grind. Next time, we hope to stay for two nights because we weren't ready to leave!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank biking
Reviewed 21 August 2006

Rarely does a place compel me to write a review about it, but The Borland House is an exception. What impressed me the most was Carol and Bill's attention to detail- from the extra soft Egyptian sheets, to the late afternoon wine and cheese, to their excellent dinner suggestions and their charming antique store. I even had the fortunate expereience of trying one of Carol's deliciously unbelievable Black and White cookies... but don't get your hopes up too high folks- I'm told the cookies still remain a secret family recipe. After my stay at the Borland House, I felt like family (just without the cookie recipe... but who knows, maybe next time!)

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled solo
2  Thank tglobal
Somerville, MA
Reviewed 5 March 2006

I had a GREAT night at the Borland House. Carol and Bill were the perfect hosts. We started off the afternoon with a tasty Pinot Noir and an assortment of cheese and crackers. The stately Montgomery Room with majestic views of the Village was perfect for a good night sleep. But the piece de resistance was Bill's breakfast. He began with a wonderful breakfast parfait of yogurt, granola and blueberries. The second course was a fritatta with cheese and veggies along with country bacon and a bagel. And to close, the homemade apricot glase was very refreshing - a nice amuse bouche to send me on my way. Their rates are very reasonable during the week so I recommend you stay their as soon as possible. As a business traveler, this was a wonderful alternative to the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: February 2006, travelled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Austin
Reviewed 5 March 2006

I traveled to Mongomery a lot on business and once I discovered the Borlard House, I really looked forward to my trips to NY. The house itself is beautiful and decorated with tasteful antiques. The room I stayed in each time was very cozy and comfortable. A large front porch overlooks a lovely lawn and garden where wine and cheese are offered in the evening. What really makes the place special though are the owners who I became friends with. They are incredible cooks too and the breakfasts are out of this world. Mongomery is a charming quiet town with great restaurants. I felt like I was on vacation everytime I visited eventhough I was there on business. Now that I no longer travel on business, I will be going back to visit the Borland House for vacation.

• Stayed: June 2005, travelled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York City
Reviewed 24 February 2006

The Borland House B&B is everything I wanted for a memorable B&B experience! A perfect escape from the City. It's definitely a must for anyone looking to stay anywhere near this area.

Arriving at the house, I felt like I was a time traveller or was on a Greek Revival movie set. Yet all the furniture, ambience and stunning architectural elements of common rooms and the bedroom where I stayed are real!

Carol and Bill treated me with just the right amount of customer service--not too overbearing like other innkeepers, but always available, attentive, warm and responsive to my needs. The high quality breakfast featured multiple courses including fluffy and generously-filled omlettes, freshly baked scones and an elegant fruit parfait--in addition to a fruit plate, juice and coffee.

Very easy to reserve a room as Bill was quite helpful on the phone. However, as word of this Orange County jewel spreads, I'm sure rooms will be harder to come by.

• Stayed: January 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Framingham, MA
Reviewed 24 February 2006

We just spent a wonderful weekend at the Borland House B & B, located in the charming village of Montgomery, NY. This is the first time I have ever written an online review. We enjoyed our hosts, Carol and Bill Freeman, and their wonderful hospitality so much that I just had to spread the news about this gem of a B & B. The Borland House is just beautiful -- a Greek Revival home, with majestic ceilings and lovely furnishings. Carol and Bill opened their B & B less than a year ago, but you'd think they've been in the business all their lives! They greeted us Sat. afternoon with Carol's freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, which made me their immediate friend. The public rooms and our sumptuous guest room -- the regal Montgomery Room, complete with a remotely operated electric fireplace -- were furnished with lovely antiques and with attention to every detail, especially the comfort of guests. The Borland House feels like a home because it is Carol and Bill's home, and they have a real knack for making guests feel welcome. A visit to the Borland House is more like a combination of visiting your dearest friend and your grandmother than staying at an inn. I knew I was in heaven when I found our room furnished with big, soft towels; ample bath robes; a down comforter; and lots of soft pillows of all sizes. Everywhere you look are books to borrow (and keep, Carol insists), along with plush, comfy seating -- beckoning you to curl up, read a book, and relax. It was so inviting that I found it hard to pull myself away and enjoy some of the antiquing that had attracted us to the area. Did I mention that Carol and Bill also run a first-class antique shoppe in the Borland House -- which just happens to be perfectly located in the oldest part of their home, an 18th c. kitchen complete with brick fireplace and beehive oven? Carol and Bill have countless furniture and smaller treasures for sale, but their unique specialty is antique French enamelware -- exquisite utensil racks, canisters, coffee pots, etc., in all sorts of colors and designs. I don't know how many visits I made to their shoppe. Our hosts were delighted to share their extensive knowledge about antiques with us. And when you finish admiring their offerings, you only have to walk down the block to a really nice group shop in the village of Montgomery. The town itself also has many historical homes and churches, and is a great place to explore on foot. Carol and Bill offered excellent recommendations for dinner; there are a surprising number of fine restaurants right in Montgomery. In the early evening, they invited us to join them for wine and cheese, and I have to admit it was difficult to tear ourselves away from their company. They are fascinating people who take a real interest in their guests. After a delicious meal out and a great night's sleep, we awoke to the aroma of freshly ground coffee and a fabulous breakfast! The dining room table was beautifully set, and Bill -- whose specialty is breakfast -- greeted us with fresh fruit cups, followed by a delicious baked German pancake, a house favorite. We found it hard to say goodbye later Sunday morning. Our plans included a visit to Beacon, a wonderfully preserved town on the Hudson River, where countless antique shops and art galleries awaited us. We also visited the Dia Gallery, which has an impressive collection of very modern art. We thought the Borland House was definitely the best B & B we had ever stayed in, with the nicest, most welcoming hosts ever. It is very reasonably priced and a great value. We will definitely return, and will keep in touch with our hosts and new friends, the Freemans!

• Stayed: February 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montgomery
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Montgomery
#1 of 9 in Middletown
The Thayer Hotel
The Thayer Hotel
#1 of 1 in West Point

Been to The Borland B&B & Brunch House? Share your experiences!