“Excellent Friendly Service”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Monticello
Chicago, IL
“Excellent Friendly Service”
Reviewed 7 May 2011

This by far is the best hotel in town. The town is a little runned down so please check out the other hotels as many need updating. This hotel offered all the quality and comfort of more expesive hotels at a fraction of the cost. The staff is very friendly and helpful with your concerns in mind. I stayed here for 2 weeks and room service was great with clean rooms.

Room Tip: rooms on top seem to be newer.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank CaliWine80

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 October 2010

I booked this motel having read the reviews on Tripadvisor. It seemed like a decent, no frills motel for an area with few good options (I.e. near the Bethel Woods site). At $72 for one evening (on Expedia), I figured it was a sound choice for the solo traveler.

When I arrived at 8 pm, I was informed that my room was not yet ready. "We sold out yesterday and they're still cleaning the rooms." The man at the front desk was perfectly nice, and I was in no hurry, so I had some dinner at a local diner he recommended.

When I finally entered the room, it struck me as your standard shabby motel room with dated, worn furniture. The door didn't open well (had to force it a bit), but that's no big deal. Typical small town budget motel.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed tons of long black hairs in the sink, counter, and on the hairdryer. Clearly, the bathroom had been wiped down in a hurry with a rag. I grabbed a Kleenex from the dispenser and it was the last one....I felt like Charlie Chaplin for a second. The tub wasn't too clean so I wouldn't be taking a hot bath that evening.

When I returned to the bedroom, I noticed a Trojan condom wrapper near the bed. This didn't freak me out so much as depress me. Does anyone even TRY to try anymore? I inspected the bed and found a few hairs on the sheets (maybe from the maid?).

I called the front desk and they were pretty nice about it, but did nothing. Later, I heard the same guy walking by my door and I called him over. I invited him in and pointed to the wrapper, which he kindly picked up with a tissue.

I finally got comfortable and watched some tv. Before turning off the light, I caught a glipse of a bunch of old trash (plastic cups, napkins etc.) behind the nightstand.

I was a little wary of the continental breakfast the next morning but it seemed fine. The desk staff is very friendly and checkout was easy.

You may have a better experience than me, but I found my room to be carelessly filthy. I imagine they frequently sell out due to their competitive rates on Expedia. That said, they need a total overhaul of their cleaning process. I might have been a lot more upset if I'd been traveling with my wife or some children.

I've stayed at all manner of high quality hotels and dumpy motels, but I've never come across a condom wrapper. That's etched in my memory forever (it was bright yellow). And, hopefully, yours too.

Think before you click.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
5 Thank EricHearst

Travellers are raving about these Monticello hotels

Montreal
Reviewed 14 October 2010

Was exhausted on drive into NYC. Found this online at a really inexpensive rate and wasn't expecting much. I read some of the reviews which all noted cleanliness which is my biggest issue. It isn't the most modern but for the cost, you more than get what you pay for. Staff is friendly, room is very clean and comfortable. I would stop here again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank inspiron007
West Yorkshire
Reviewed 2 September 2010

We were very pleasantly surprised after reading the reviews. The hotel is excellent. The manager Mr Nat Gajipara is charming and very helpful. The room, 119 was very clean and well equipped with a fridge, microwave, TV, and a really comfy sofa. It is approx 105 miles from JFK. which made it possible to drive up the day we arrived.
We would also reccommend the Nugget Restaurant, just 10 minutes walk up the main street. We had the best burger ever with a Jack Daniels sauce, a don't get me started on the onion rings. It is also a pub which is a plus in the US.
An excellent base to explore the Catskills area.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KD's Mommy
Valley Stream, New York
Reviewed 26 August 2010

The manager couldn't do enough for you. rooms had great ammenties, microwave and refridge in room. free internet in rooms. iron and iron board. rooms were very spacious. offered a continetal breakfast. would recommend this property.

Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank maggie13042
New York City
Reviewed 12 October 2009

Not the newest nor most inviting place from the outside (and Monticello is definitely down on its luck), but room was clean, beds comfortable, bathroom new, and staff friendly. Donuts, cereal, juice and coffee for breakfast. Not a bad stay at all.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank roymogi
GodFather1
Reviewed 22 August 2009

We came for the Woodstock 40 festival at Bethel New York. Limited amount of motels in area and this one seemed to have the best reviews. Room was a little small but decent for two people. It was overall clean and very quiet at night which surprised me considering it was completely sold out with lots of folks staying over. The place has numerous amenities for a budget motel including an iron and ironing board , hairblower, and shampoo and conditioner, and all different coffees and teas and a coffeemaker.Also a fridge and microwave..Air conditioner worked extremely well and was quiet.Perfect location for the area and the surrounding neighborhood was safe and away from downtown area a bit. The best part was the management..very nice folks and very helpful. Will stay here again as I come to the area from time to time for concerts. Keep in mind this is a budget motel, not the Ritz Carlton so keep expectations on that level and you will be pleasantly happy.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GodFather1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monticello
Best Western Monticello
#1 of 3 in Liberty
Days Inn Wurtsboro
Days Inn Wurtsboro
#1 of 1 in Wurtsboro

Been to Super 8 Monticello? Share your experiences!