Super 8 Monticello
US$134
US$89
US$80
US$110
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 July 2011

The hallway floors are covered in carpeting that is coming loose and covered with dirt. The non smoking room smelled like smoke, especially the bathroom when the fan was on. The bathtub looked like it had never been cleaned. Blankets had holes and stains.Felt like the floor would give way in spots. Cost us $100 for a night in this filthy room. Time to update this disaster of a motel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank niknakia
Reviewed 3 July 2011

Stayed at the Super 8 for one night with daughter and small dog on way to Toronto. Room #127 was clean, with good king-sized bed, small couch, fridge and microwave, desk and TV. There is free wi-fi - very convenient. Bathroom was clean. Pet fee is reasonable: $10. Breakfast room in lobby serves cereal, muffins, doughnuts and surprisingly good coffee for upstate New York. There is a mini-supermarket right next door and the neighborhood doesn't seem to be a problem at all. Minor drawbacks: carpet was shabby, desk furniture banged up a bit, soap and shampoo are tiny. But we had a good night's sleep, everything in the room worked and the man at the desk was quite nice and personable. Given the bad reviews of other Monticello motels, I would stay at the Super 8 again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Sally60763
Reviewed 7 May 2011

This by far is the best hotel in town. The town is a little runned down so please check out the other hotels as many need updating. This hotel offered all the quality and comfort of more expesive hotels at a fraction of the cost. The staff is very friendly and helpful with your concerns in mind. I stayed here for 2 weeks and room service was great with clean rooms.

Room Tip: rooms on top seem to be newer.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank CaliWine80
Reviewed 27 October 2010

I booked this motel having read the reviews on Tripadvisor. It seemed like a decent, no frills motel for an area with few good options (I.e. near the Bethel Woods site). At $72 for one evening (on Expedia), I figured it was a sound choice for the solo traveler.

When I arrived at 8 pm, I was informed that my room was not yet ready. "We sold out yesterday and they're still cleaning the rooms." The man at the front desk was perfectly nice, and I was in no hurry, so I had some dinner at a local diner he recommended.

When I finally entered the room, it struck me as your standard shabby motel room with dated, worn furniture. The door didn't open well (had to force it a bit), but that's no big deal. Typical small town budget motel.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed tons of long black hairs in the sink, counter, and on the hairdryer. Clearly, the bathroom had been wiped down in a hurry with a rag. I grabbed a Kleenex from the dispenser and it was the last one....I felt like Charlie Chaplin for a second. The tub wasn't too clean so I wouldn't be taking a hot bath that evening.

When I returned to the bedroom, I noticed a Trojan condom wrapper near the bed. This didn't freak me out so much as depress me. Does anyone even TRY to try anymore? I inspected the bed and found a few hairs on the sheets (maybe from the maid?).

I called the front desk and they were pretty nice about it, but did nothing. Later, I heard the same guy walking by my door and I called him over. I invited him in and pointed to the wrapper, which he kindly picked up with a tissue.

I finally got comfortable and watched some tv. Before turning off the light, I caught a glipse of a bunch of old trash (plastic cups, napkins etc.) behind the nightstand.

I was a little wary of the continental breakfast the next morning but it seemed fine. The desk staff is very friendly and checkout was easy.

You may have a better experience than me, but I found my room to be carelessly filthy. I imagine they frequently sell out due to their competitive rates on Expedia. That said, they need a total overhaul of their cleaning process. I might have been a lot more upset if I'd been traveling with my wife or some children.

I've stayed at all manner of high quality hotels and dumpy motels, but I've never come across a condom wrapper. That's etched in my memory forever (it was bright yellow). And, hopefully, yours too.

Think before you click.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
5  Thank EricHearst
Reviewed 14 October 2010

Was exhausted on drive into NYC. Found this online at a really inexpensive rate and wasn't expecting much. I read some of the reviews which all noted cleanliness which is my biggest issue. It isn't the most modern but for the cost, you more than get what you pay for. Staff is friendly, room is very clean and comfortable. I would stop here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo