“Cheap, great eats ”

Tilly's Diner
Ranked #4 of 53 Restaurants in Monticello
Cuisines: Diner
Reviewed 4 March 2017 via mobile

Tilly's is in one of those great dining cars with stool seats along the bar and small booths next to the windows. The Elvis and Beatles decorations help complete the old school ambience, which we enjoyed. My husband got the hot chili over rice and cheddar (daily special) and I got the veggie wrap with chicken and onion rings. Excellent, yummy warming food for a reasonable price ($20, including my husband's soda). It's also a short distance from the casino and raceway, if that attraction strikes your fancy.

Date of visit: March 2017

Reviewed 18 January 2017

While traveling to NYC from Western NY we decided to get off on this exit and look for food. We found the building interesting and decided to check it out. It looks like a 50's dinner. They serve American cuisine. Food was good and we where pleased with the prices. The staff friendly, the place, including the bathrooms was clean. There is a lot of parking. It didn't appear handicap accessible unless I missed it somehow. There were three to four stairs to climb to get in the place. They had a counter, booths and some tables. There is a juke box in the right hand corner by the bathrooms and you can watch them cook from the counter.

Date of visit: January 2017
1  Thank Queenofdenial
Reviewed 20 November 2016

My husband and I stopped here for dinner on our way to a concert at Bethel Woods. We had seen it listed in our hotel "Things to Do" brochure in our room the last time we were in the area, but didn't have an opportunity then to stop.

I didn't have a chance to read the whole menu, as my husband spotted my favorite, chicken cordon bleu, on the specials, so of course that's what I got. The portion was huge, came with a nice side salad, veggies, roll, and real - not instant - mashed potatoes. And I know that everything was made to order, as I took half of my meal home, requesting some extra cream sauce for the chicken; glad I asked ahead of time, because they had to make some up for me to take home. I'm very picky about my salads and dressings; I asked for no onions or peppers on my salad, and it came out exactly as I asked. The honey mustard dressing was delicious.

Hubby had a nice toasted club sandwich; again, the portion was huge and half of it came home with us as well.

The decor was adorable, the restaurant itself as well as the restrooms were all very clean.

The only thing I need to mention that keeps me from giving a full five stars is that there is a small step at door at the top of the steps to get into the building; there's no sign warning of it, and, while it looks like it was painted with bright yellow
"caution"-type paint at one time, the paint was considerably worn away (plus, if you're looking forward, you wouldn't see the paint anyway.) I walk with a cane, and I tripped over it. Nothing bad at all, but I'd hate to see someone get really hurt. A sign on the door would at least help alert anyone trying to come in or go out.

And they take credit cards, for a $10 minimum. Even our beloved Chelsea Royal in Vermont can't say that!

All in all, we can't wait to make a visit to this diner again!

Date of visit: November 2016
1  Thank BaileyMeister
Reviewed 16 October 2016

Friendly waitresses but cannot handle a crowd. Food ok. Should have expected it to be busy with the Jeep Jamboree in town. They only had one cook with people waiting out the door. Took forever just to get an egg sandwich.

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed 12 October 2016

You don't really see these places around anymore so its worth the trip. Homemade style, good ole greasy spoon diner like back in the day. Staff is tough like the neighborhood.

Date of visit: September 2016