“Bed bugs!! Terrible customer service.”
Review of Inn at Monticello

Inn at Monticello
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Monticello
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Bed bugs!! Terrible customer service.”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I would give this place a negative star if possible. Synopsis: DO NOT STAY HERE- THERE ARE BED BUGS, SPECIFICALLY IN ROOM 212. There are also bed bug stains on the sheet in Room 210 (the room we were moved to after we found bed bugs in Room 212). My boyfriend has approximately 60+ bites (perhaps more) and I have about 25+ (with more appearing in the past 2 days- bed bug bites can appear immediately to 14 days after the bites have occurred). Note: I am an extremely clean person (some say I almost have OCD) and my boyfriend is clean as well. We have never experienced bed bugs in our life and was startled to have experienced it. We arrived at the hotel on Friday March 30, 2012 at 10:30AM. We had to ring the doorbell a couple of times before the manager appeared. She checked us in. We went to our room, which seemed pretty comfortable. We immediately unpacked and headed off to the music festival. We returned at 4AM and tried to take a shower. THE SHOWER WATER WAS BROWN! We ran it for a few seconds but it was still brown. We even caught the water with a cup to double check that it was the water and not the tub discoloring it. Yup, it was the water. We called down to the front desk- no answer. So we skipped the shower and went to bed. We woke up at noon and took a shower (water was clear this time). We went out to eat and came back at 2pm to take a nap. We slept from 2pm to 6pm. My boyfriend woke up at 6pm feeling pretty itchy. I saw bites about 30 bites on his back (later we found about 20 more on his feet, eyelid, forehead, cheek, neck, arms, hand, etc). I told him to lift up the sheets and we saw BEDBUGS! Absolutely disgusting. The worst part about this all was not the bites but it was the terrible customer service we received. At first manager only offered us 15% off Sat night (but nothing for Friday night). Then I called again to talk to her and we received 50% off. We asked her to check the next room they gave us for bed bugs but she said maintenance/cleaning staff had left so no one could check. We asked her to check herself but she flat out refused several times so we did a thorough check ourselves. We saw bed bug stain on the sheets in the 2nd room as well but saw no bed bugs. Between dealing with the bed bugs, cleaning up our stuff, bagging whatever clothes could've been contaminated and moving our stuff, we lost 2-3 hrs of going to our event :( We even told the manager that moving to the 2nd room could possibly mean that we would bring bed bugs over but she didn't seem to understand the effect on her business. Later that Saturday night, I noticed bites on myself as well and worried that the 2nd room had bed bugs. Upon research, we noted that bed bugs can take 1 day or 14 days to appear. Manager would not give us a refund for Friday night, which is when we could have techincally could've gotten bitten. Please don't stay here. It is not safe! Manager won't do anything either 'cept give you an additional 15-50% off if you get bed bugs.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah K
Amit P, Manager at Inn at Monticello, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
We did not have bed bugs in the hotels as all rooms are newly renovated and in good condition. If there was an issue with bed bug, guest would not stay at our hotel for 3 consecutive nights. Atfer the check out, guest has reported complaint to Health Dept., in result room was inspected by Health Inspector and did not find anyhting. Please kindly remove this review as it's representing false information to other guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Location. The town of monticello is the slums of upstate new York.
Service. The people at the front desk are hard to get a hold of u can just ring the bell knowbody is going to come to the counter. I did request a refrigerator and they brought me on.
Rooms The beds were lumpy and seam like they have a slope to them. The pillows were thin. Rooms were stinky. At least they didn't have bugs. If I had to stays in monticello I would stay there again, but if I can avoid this town I would

• Stayed April 2011

Travellers are raving about these Monticello hotels

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Please do not waste your time here. Stayed here for a few days and needed to go to the hospital. I had bed bug bites. This was the only hotel I had been at. When I told them where I was staying, they told me that there are also bed bugs there.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed 27 December 2011

The worst place ever! First room we entered, battery in fire/smoke detector beeping; had to move to other room. Rooms were dirty and smelly. One of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in. Do not book a room. I agree that the place should be condemned. If it hadn't been so late when we checked in, we would have found another place. I can't even give this a one "Dot" rating.

Room Tip: No comment
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lele s
Saint Albans
Reviewed 27 November 2011

By time I got around to reading the other reviews it was too late to cancel my reservation, so I went bravely on my trip and well prepared for what I was going to encounter, no one could have prepared me for what I saw in this hotel it was the worst place I've ever laid my head. This hotel should be condem by the Health Department, the towels were dirty and dingy, bathroom was clogged you could'nt take a shower and the water was cold, the room was so cold I had to put a towel under the door to keep the room warm, the bed looked like it was'nt change in weeks I could'nt wait to get out. Do not stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Read reviews before you book there are helpful.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mousey-13
Saratoga NY
Reviewed 20 August 2011

DO not go to the Monticello Econo lodge under an circumstances. Period.
Overpriced, bad area, crumbling and dirty, and noisy.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
troy ny
Reviewed 6 July 2011

Ok ive camped out, slept in tents, and lean-tos. This hotel was by far the worst accomodations i have ever experienced. Ill start off by saying the smell of the room was horrible and the bed did not have clean sheets on it. The TV is from 1989 and came in fuzzy every channel. Remote for tv was broken. Wi-fi did not work. It rained and we woke up to the ceiling leakkng and ruining a dress and a pair of shorts with its rotten old wood smell and stains. The room doesnt have an alarm clock or a coffee pot. Waited for 10 minutes for someone to check us in and we rang the bell several times for assistace. The place needs to be painted at a minimum and they need a health and buildig inspection asap. Totally dissatisfied. Pool not open in july Would not recommend to anybody.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shannonm1234
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monticello
Best Western Monticello
#2 of 3 in Liberty
Days Inn Wurtsboro
Days Inn Wurtsboro
#1 of 1 in Wurtsboro

Been to Inn at Monticello? Share your experiences!