“Great Graduation Retreat”

Rosemary's Legacy
Rosemary's Legacy
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Montour Falls
Reviewed 1 June 2010

We just returned from Rosemary's Legacy having spent Memorial Weekend there with family. It was a great retreat away from graduation festivities. We were exhausted by the crowds and activities in Ithaca and were all able unwind in Montour Falls. Great advice from John led us to a wonderful wine/distillery tour and lunch overlooking Lake Seneca. We look forward to returning to explore more of the area and enjoy John's cooking!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 May 2010

Table for Two is a must if you are spending time in Watkens Glenn. My wife and I spent a long weekend touring the local wineries and enjoying the lakes. We worked with John (JP) to design a special dinner which consisted of a 5 course meal (which was simply the best I have had in years) and the best dining service you can get. John is a terrific chef and even a better person. We got to know John through this experience and will be using table for two for years to come.

To schedule your special dinner just visit: http://www.mftlimited.com/table

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2010

My husband and I just stayed at Rosemary's Legacy for 3 nights and will definitely be back. The owner/host, John, was wonderful to us. The home is very comfortable...my favorite spot was the garden room...very clean and very unique. Special touches everywhere you look.

The food was amazing. John is not only the host, but also a chef. And, a very good one at that. We asked him to prepare dinner for our night of arrival, as we had a very long drive. It was excellent. And, soooo relaxing. The best fillet mignon we ever had...

Breakfast each morning was delicious...muffins, bisquits, fresh fruit, belgian waffles, frittata, stuffed french toast....everything homemade from scratch served fresh from the oven/stove.

John is a wealth of information on the area and the house is centrally located to easily visit the wineries and sites around either Seneca or Cayuga lake. We hired a limo for our first full day there (a recommendation of John's) and couldn't have been more pleased.

Would highly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2010

In March 2010 I spent a total of 4 weeks at Rosemary's Legacy and my only disappointment was having to leave. This truly is your home away from home. It's very roomy but has an incredible warmth and cosy feel to it. Add to that the fact that you could not wish for more wonderful hosts. John and Mary Alice made me feel very welcomed. Having spent so long there, I truly count them amongst my good friends and can't wait to go back and see them again. John is also a walking encyclopedia for the area. There's a great selection of brochures for businesses in the area that he will have left for you and if there's anything in particular you're interested in, I'm sure he can point you in the right direction. His knowledge is outstanding.

One thing I do suggest, get John to cook for you!!!! It's a must. His cooking is outstanding. If you come as just a couple, you can have a beautiful romantic dinner or if there's a group of you, sit down to a fantastic dinner party. But i warn you, get in early. This man is in demand!!!! Once you taste his food, you'll understand why. :)

As for the area, well Montour Falls is a very beautiful place. The actual falls themselves are quite spectacular and as John pointed out to me, there is actually a sketch of them in the Louvre in Paris. He can fill you in on the details of that, if you're interested. lol. Montour is just a few minutes down the road from Watkins Glen which I must say, I have fallen in love with. It's that small town feel with many of the larger town perks. Seneca Lake is breathtaking and I was fortunate enough that the Seneca State Park opened for walking tourists the day before I left. WOW! Mind you, if you're going to take a hike through there, you wont need to be going to the gym that day!

I suppose the best thing about this place, besides the fantastic people and it's natural wonders is it's location. Take a run up to Corning to the Corning Museum of Glass. What an incredible place. Elmira became a regular trip for me, as I loved to do some gourmet food shopping at Wegmans. Ithaca and Syracuse are both within driving distance and for International travellers like myself, a trip to Canada was only a few hours drive.

All in all, I loved Rosemary's Legacy. If everyone got to experience this level of hospitality, I'm sure we wouldn't need reviews like this to seperate the good from the bad. Rosemary's Legacy definately sits at the top of my list of best places to stay. I'll take it over a 5 star hotel any day. :)

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 March 2010

We just returned from an amazing experience at Rosemary's Legacy. My husband and I decided to take my parents, sister, and brother-in-law to the Finger Lakes for a wine country long weekend. It was their first experience at a bed and breakfast, and what a great time! When a guest walks into the home, he/she feels immediately like they are a guest of Rosemary herself. The "Innkeeper", John, was extremely knowledgable about the wineries in the area and the restaurants and made wonderful breakfasts. Each day there was fruit, a homemade bread, and an amazing "entree" (a vegetable strata, blueberry french toast, and a spinach/egg bake that was to die for!). The rates were very affordable, and it is important to note that when you rent the house, you rent the ENTIRE house, so you are not sharing the place with any strangers. The only downside I can think of is that there was only one, shared hall bathroom for the three bedrooms upstairs, but since we were all family, and there was a 1/2 bath on the main level, it was never a problem!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
#5 of 9 in Watkins Glen
Gorgeous View Motel
Gorgeous View Motel
#2 of 9 in Watkins Glen

Been to Rosemary's Legacy? Share your experiences!