“Needs major improvement”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Tremper
Emerson Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mount Tremper
Reviewed 14 January 2008

My 2 girlfriends and myself had appointments for spa manicures, spa pedicures and back facial treatments at the Emerson Spa this past weekend.We all three had the exact same procedures booked but since they had to take two at a time, one of us had to wait. It's hard to believe, but since the one who had to wait, switched with one of us because she was already undressed & in her robe, it threw the entire spa staff into such a tizzy that one of my friends left without polish on her toenails (no time to finish!) and my other friend could not get her manicure AT ALL !

NO ONE at the Spa Registration desk (they seemed so dim) told us that if we switched people we would throw all of the plans for our special day off kilter and in the end they lost out on charging us for a service we came for, and no one got extra tips.

In all honesty, the price for the spa manicure & spa pedicure (a total of $110) was nothing short of armed robbery. I have received better manicures & pedicures from the local nail places for $25 ! Nothing special in the way of service from the nail techs. Of course, the ambiance is wonderful, but not worth that much money; I expected a really amazing experience, it wasn't.

The sad part is that they seemed to blame us for all that went wrong, and could really care less. The "manager" even came into the treatment room and had the nerve to ask if we wanted to see her schedule so we can see how things got thrown off. Of course, they said this was not the norm there, but I doubt that. This is a beautiful place, but the people running it are clueless and can't handle a simple change like that without ruining our experience there. It's seems amazing to me that they were so incompetent, but it's obvious some of the staff there need retraining.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with friends
4  Thank MURRIE

Reviewed 30 December 2007

Stayed for a few days, thought we were staying at a high end property since it was $355 per night plus another 20 with tax room was ok but niothing really to brag. Shower didnt work.. Rude on Checkin, indifferent restaurant staff. No Indoor Pool. Says its kid friendly but if you have kids you are shuttled into a cave of a dining room. Breakfast was the only thing good about this place. because of the rude and indifferent treatment we cancelled our spa treatments which would have easily added another thoiusand dollars to the bill. Dont waste you money at this place it is not close to being worth it. We never complain about this stuff but this place got under my skin I will never again set fooot near this place and I have stayed in great properties around the workd.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank BustravelerNewYork
Reviewed 23 November 2007

While looking for Catskill accomodations on line we were impressed with the Emerson's website. It appeared to be a modern and upscale resort as opposed to much older motel courts and cottages we came across for the same area. We were not disappointed! The Emerson is truly a gem in the midst of the Catskill High Peaks! We stayed in a Lodge room which was new, very spacious and decorated appropriately in mountain/Adirondack style decor. There was a dvd player which worked out well for our children since there is nothing to do and nowhere to go in that area at night. However, during the day we were quite busy right on the Emerson property! We fished in the beautiful Esopus Creek, swam in the outdoor pool, checked out the shops and kaleiodscope, and had afternoon Starbuck's coffee!- I used the fitness center for the spa (free to all guests - adults only) and we enjoyed the continental (complimentary breakfast) at the very pretty Phoenix Restaurant.The outside layout of the Lodge rooms and the outdoor pool area were adorable -- they reminded me of the Catskill motels of my childhood. We can't wait to stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank ShopBread
Reviewed 16 November 2007

My girlfriend and I just did a Ladies of Luxury package at Emersons. We arrived on Saturday and checked into our room at the lodge immediately. Our room at the lodge was a junior suite and very nice. It was two floors and had two queen size beds. Alot of room. The beds were very comfortable. We were greeted with a basket of fruit and a small bottle of merlot. We went off to our massages which were very nice. We had 3 days of massages and added to our package. The package really includes alot and I feel it was well worth the money. Here are the pros and cons.

Pros
Rooms in the lodge are rustic and nice
Rooms in the main hotel are beautiful and very luxurious
Food at the Phoenix was very good
Sunday brunch was excellent
Massages were good for the most part
Hot Stone massage was excellent
Country store nice but expensive
Staff in the main hotle was friendly
Staff at lodge friendly but new people who were a bit clueless

Cons
Service in the restaurant was very slow
Housekeeping could have been better - they left the garbage in our room. The top of the wine bottle would not screw off and my friend and I wanted a glass of wine. It took many calls to get a replacement bottle.
The Wine and Cheese platter we were to get as part of the package was a mystery at the lodge. No one knew who was responsible for getting it.
Confusion with having the bill split between two girlfriends credit cards.

On the whole we really enjoyed our Ladies Luxury package and plan to go again next year.

I went with my husband in May and it is also a great ime of year to go and it is a nice romantic getaway for couples.

Also there is no cell phone service so no that before you go;

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank lindafromNJ
Reviewed 11 November 2007

We stayed at the Emerson Resort and Spa for a two night girls getaway weekend. There were 8 women in all in 4 stunning rooms. We LOVED this place! We have been doing our weekends for several years and most of us are very experienced and demanding travelers. The rooms in the Inn rival any 5 start hotel I have been in (especially the bathrooms!). The dinner in the Phoenix restaurant was delicious and the setting was lovely. The staff could not have been nicer and more accommodating. The high tea was delightful. The spa was lovely the services were wonderful, the showers in the locker room were great, the towels were very fluffy and I loved the steam room and sauna. It is very close to Woodstock which is a fun outing. But whether you are looking for a romantic weekend or a girls getaway, this is a fabulous choice. I cant wait to go back!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank kidfree
Reviewed 6 November 2007

I wish there was a 3.5 star rating on this board because that is what I would have given The Emerson over a 4 star. The resort is clean and vast. We stayed in the Inn section in the Imperial Suite. The rooms are very modern, Asian inspired. Ours was two stories. The top floor had a loft with a giant, beautiful canopied bed, flat screen tv and full bathroom (shower). Downstairs was another fantastic bathroom (jacuzzi bath for two and shower, loo, etc.), a sitting area with a couch, table, chairs, wet bar, gas fireplace, flat screen tv and a walk-out balcony with views of the dirt road/river. We did have a problem with the electric blinds. A maintenance person came & while he couldn't fix the problem electrically he did come back with a ladder and blocked the window with some sheets so the light would not disturb us in the morning. A big negative of this place is that there is no cell service in the area (about a 10 mile radius). As luck would have it, the Emerson's phone service was out as well so that posed a rather great problem for us since we left young children at home with a sitter. Anyway, back to the resort. Hubby & I both had spa treatments. He liked his hot stone massage more than I liked my aromatherapy massage. The technicians were fine but the oil mine used on me was so diluted that I did not get any "aromatherapy" at all. We ate breakfast in the Peonix restaurant. It was traditional and very good. They had a great selections of teas. The General store was fun to browse around. I guess overall the resort is nice but it has a "conference-y" feel to it and the new construction is reminiscent of a Holiday Inn, to be frank. The staff is friendly if not a little clueless. I'm not sure there is a "better" place to stay in the area. This place fit the bill for what we were looking for: a place to spend a quiet weekend, mostly holed up in our room, enjoying our privacy.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LaLaLaura
Reviewed 21 October 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Emerson Resort & Spa for the Catskill Fall foliage. The area the resort is in is absolutely wonderful! Scenic drives, activities and a great staff make this a great destination. The best way to review this is in parts:
The lodge: A+ - no surprises, just what I expected of the lodge, rustic look, a mountain get-a-way, surrounded on 4 sides with mountains, riverwalk at rear of lodge.
The staff: A+ - Friendly and welcoming, very helpful, immediately satisfied any requests.
The room A+ - Very large room, clean, very good TV reception, quiet, comfortable bed. AC remote controlled, large whirlpool bath and large bathroom, rustic tasteful decor and plenty (and I mean plenty) of pillows. Just a perfect room!
Resturaunt A - Although we only ate breakfast (which was included in the price of the stay), the buffet was overall good. Pancakes, waffles and omlets made to order. bagel w/ lox, fresh fruit, toast, "homemade" jams, bacon, home fries, juices, sausage and VERY good coffee. The staff was attentive and friendly without being intrusive.
Gift shop A+ - Huge but pricey (as expected), there is Starbucks Coffee tucked away in the back. Everything you can imagine is in this "upscale" shop. You can spend an hoour looking at the kaleidoscopes for sale.
I have three suggestions for management:

A) Welcoming fruit basket in room was a wonderful touch but why not use New York State apples instead of Washington State apple? Why not use a wine from a local New York State winery instead on the bottle that was included? Promote the area you are in!
B) We ordered wine in the lounge, very good BUT when we asked where it was from - we were told New Zealand! Why not promote New York State wine?
C) The music in the resturaunt leaves a bit to be desired. I understand atmosphere but i couldn't quite make out what it was.Contemporary Indian? Indian Rap? My wife and I respectfully suggest a Cirque Soliel soundtrack Allegria. It fits your decor and would probably add to the atmosphere. Soothing and sophisticated.
I HIGHLY recommend this resort for anyone wanting a peaceful relaxing and secluded get-a-way.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
Hotel Dylan
Hotel Dylan
#2 of 3 in Woodstock
Best Western Plus Kingston Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Emerson Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!