“A nice mess”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Tremper
Emerson Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mount Tremper
NY, NY
“A nice mess”
Reviewed 22 April 2008

Trying to figure out how to describe this place, I compare it to a really great looking sandwich. The waiter brings it to your table and it looks fantastic. But then you bite into it and it all falls apart. That's what staying at the Emerson Resort is like. we stayed at the more pricey and upscale Inn. From the outside, it looks fantastic. Mountain all around. a river running through the back. But then you are greeted by a couple of high school students who barely say hello or tell you what to do. At at least they are uniformed. Arriving at the front desk, we were greeted by a very pleasant woman (we later learned her name...Shona). But with all due respect, she looked like she just got out of bed, and that it had been a rough night. Not to be picky, or snobbish, but if I'm paying nearly $600 a night, I'd like the staff to be, well, dressed better. But she wasn't the only one; many others looked equally as unkempt. And that kind of typified the service level at the Emerson. It was ok. Passable for a mid-level Marriott or Sheraton but, not four-star (as its web site claims) and no where near 5-star. We didn't have many requests outside the norm but the ones we did have seemed to send the staff into a tizzy. Such a fuss. Though they eventually delivered, it was frenzied, chaotic and unprofessional. The restaurant and the spa were about the same...good, not great, and a bit of an attitude that seemed to say, "Hey, we're the best thing up here in the CAtskills so, we don't have to be much better than average." This place has a long way to go before it becomes a "real" resort, starting with a dress code and a little bit ...ok..a LOT...of customer service training. We were there when it wasn't very busy. I can't imagine how this staff could handle a full house. Give it a few years to see if it survives its current mediocrity. For now, I'd pass.

• Liked — Suites were great
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank woodchuck16

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 March 2008

Let's start by saying that I had high hopes for this visit. I had passed the Emerson a number of times on the way to a day of skiing nearby. I had also stopped in to get dinner on one of these occasions. In any case, my wife and I reserved a one nite stay at the Emerson and since we were w our kids, we were put in "The Lodge". For a AAA discounted rate of $277 per nite before taxes, we were put into a somewhat fancy MOTEL room.

The room was nice, decorated in mountain lodge style - but certainly not over the top and not worthy of almost $300 per nite.

The stay was pleasant and we were given buffet breakfast for 4 in the main hotel. Good granola and fried eggs. Also used the gym which was small but of high quality. Lots of people working out.

I think that the lodge is a good family option but should be priced at about $150 per nite. My wife was disappointed and I was a bit underwhelmed. I would not stay at the lodge again but overall it was an average experience.

Stayed March 2008
3 Thank travelingmannyc
New Jersey
Reviewed 1 February 2008

We wanted to get away for a quiet New Year's celebration and chose the Emerson Resort for its Spa and inclusive package offered for the holiday weekend. From the moment we entered, we were greeted like royalty. There was a door man inside who showed us to the reception desk. Our weekend itinerary was printed out and gone over thoroughly with the check-in manager. The hotel room was exactly as pictured on their website, if not better (we stayed in the Main Hotel; there are "lodges" next door that looked very nice from the outside). There were only a couple of hiccups in our stay, which were quickly tended to by the staff, but prevented me from rating this place 'excellent'.

The restaurant needs to work out a few kinks:

- Breakfast was very disorganized. The staff didn't explain there was a buffet; they just seated us and left us there without menus for 10 minutes before my husband got up and asked one of the wait staff running around for some information. She said, oh, this is a buffet and it's located in the other room. After we ate, we found out that you could order anything you want as well.... included in the package we were on.

- Dinner was the polar opposite. Extremely organized (almost annoyingly); Wait staff almost trip over themselves to whisk away your first course to make room for your second course before you're done. It's too abrupt and we felt rushed each night we ate there. The second night we asked our server to slow down and said we're trying to enjoy the atmosphere and food. She smiled and apologized and yet we still felt rushed.

- Lunch: there is no lunch.
The dining room closes at 11am and reopens at 5. However, there is afternoon tea served, but you need to make a reservation the day before. It is worth it. So much food - both savory and sweet. This is served from 2 - 4 daily. This was my favorite meal at the place! ! !

The SPA was amazing. One dislike was the main area where guests wait for their name to be called in robes. I noticed the men were all standing awkwardly. It's hard to sit down in mixed company in a robe....bare underneath...

Overall, the experience was worth the price. Excellent service, great room with amenities and very central to activities (skiing - Hunter Mt and Bellaire Mt very close).

The Emerson lived up to our expectations of a quiet, relaxing setting for us to ring in the New Year! We wanted to get away for a quiet New Year's celebration and chose the Emerson Resort for its Spa and inclusive package offered for the holiday weekend. From the moment we entered, we were greeted like royalty. There was a door man inside who showed us to the reception desk. Our weekend itinerary was printed out and gone over thoroughly. The hotel room was exactly as pictured on their website, if not better (we stayed in the Main Hotel; there are "lodges" next door that looked very nice from the outside). There were only a couple of hiccups in our stay, which were quickly tended to by the staff, but prevented me from rating this place 'excellent'.

• Liked — The Spa and the Room amenities
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank IrisheyesNJ
Little Falls, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 January 2008

The Emerson Resort & Spa is amazing! It is one of the nicest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. I am very picky and pay much attention to detail and I have nothing negative to say about these luxuriously appointed rooms. The rooms are decorated in a Moroccan theme with a modern, warm feel. The room is very large, with a fireplace, a balcony, a wine refrigerator, a regular refrigerator fully stocked with liquor, juice, water and sodas.
The same attention to detail and luxury can be seen in the bathroom as well. The large, soaking, jetted tub was relaxing and very clean. The separate shower is a Vichy- overhead and side jets. The towels are plush and top of the line.
The maid came twice a day to tidy up room and replenish towels, etc. Note, this was a holiday weekend and the service was great and consistent.
I called the day before arrival and asked for an early check-in and Shona at the front desk assisted with pleasure. We were able to check in to our room and have full use of all the resort's facilities at no charge by noon. I also requested a late check out 11pm the night before we were scheduled to leave. By the time I woke up and called down to the front desk, Shona, had arranged for us to have a 3pm check-out! Again, this was a holiday weekend and and the resort was at a full capacity but the customer service was warm, attentive and consistent. The other reviews I have read noted that the customer service was lacking- if there were kinks, there are absolutely none now.
The Spa is decorated in a moccoran feel as well and is relaxing and is deserving of the accredition. The staff was professional, helpful and attentive to the needs of myself and my boyfriend. The women's locker room was brand new, clean large Kohler showers, sauna and steam and had full array of products from lotions to hair products.
The Phoenix restaurant is a stand out and compares to those in Manhattan. The attention to detail in the food, the service the decor is apparent immediately. We had a great waiter, John, who happened to serve us both nights of our stay. He remembered what foods we were interested in trying, etc. The bartender, Theresa, remembered our drink order from the previous night and knew not to add fruit to cocktails without even seeing us. This may not seem like something to note, but these are just some of the personal touches and attention to detail that you will receive at this resort. The food has some asian flair and dishes are delicious. The sunday brunch has a large variety of sumptuous foods as well. The buffet breakfast is perfect- all the staples including low fat options.
In previous reviews, I have noticed travelers' negative opinions of the resort. Many of these traveler's were staying at the Lodge which is not connected to the resort (short walking distance away) and is an older property built around 1970's. It is an adirondack style- not luxurious accomodations. It is family friendly and the Catamount restaurant is very cozy, but not "chic" at all and isn't trying to be. The Inn at the Resort is all new and is chic, well decorated with the best furniture, etc imported from all over the world.
The Resort is located between magnificent mountains and the Esopos Creek runs behind the whole length of the resort. The sound is relaxing and adds to the charm of this resort.
If you are looking for a relaxing weekend getaway with a wonderful spa and luxurious accomodations and fine dining- this is it. I hope to be back at the Emerson very soon!

• Liked — The luxurious inn rooms, impeccable service, spa
  • Disliked — Nothing to dislike
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
brooklyn, ny
Reviewed 16 January 2008

Our room at the lodge cost well over $200 with all taxes and charges. For that cost I expect that if a website touts free high speed wireless internet access as one of its many amenities that there will be. I had no cell phone or Blackberry service so this was a major inconvenience. When I went to inquire about it at the front desk I was told that access was only available in the main building we were standing in. I said to the woman that I was fairly certain that the website state that wi-fi was available in all the rooms which she told me was not the case and that I was getting the Lodge and the "Resort" confused. I was under the impression that the Resort was the collective name and didn't just pertain to the fancier Inn. Either way, internet access is clearly listed on the site as one of the IN-ROOM amenities, along with "plush slippers" (never saw these, not that I would have used them) and "Kama in-room bath amenities."

About these bath amenities, I was rather shocked to find that the toiletries left in the room had clearly been used. One of the bottles was half full and if that didn't give it away, certainly the residue left around the screw tops of the other bottles certainly did. This is the first time I've ever experienced this and made me question just how thoroughly my room had been cleaned and checked.

The walls are super thin - I could hear every car door that opened and closed and the television from next door. In the bathroom, I could hear word for word the conversation our neighbors were having.

I would suggest that the Emerson install extra lights to further illuminate the way from the Lodge area to the Inn. I stayed there on a rainy night and walking along a muddy, dark path to get to a spa treatment was not the most pleasant experience.

That said, my massage was great. I did have to change in and out of my shoes in check-in area outside the locker rooms which I found a little odd.

Emailed the resort about my disappointing stay nearly 2 weeks and have not heard back.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank youthlarge
LONG ISLAND, NY
Reviewed 14 January 2008

My 2 girlfriends and myself had appointments for spa manicures, spa pedicures and back facial treatments at the Emerson Spa this past weekend.We all three had the exact same procedures booked but since they had to take two at a time, one of us had to wait. It's hard to believe, but since the one who had to wait, switched with one of us because she was already undressed & in her robe, it threw the entire spa staff into such a tizzy that one of my friends left without polish on her toenails (no time to finish!) and my other friend could not get her manicure AT ALL !

NO ONE at the Spa Registration desk (they seemed so dim) told us that if we switched people we would throw all of the plans for our special day off kilter and in the end they lost out on charging us for a service we came for, and no one got extra tips.

In all honesty, the price for the spa manicure & spa pedicure (a total of $110) was nothing short of armed robbery. I have received better manicures & pedicures from the local nail places for $25 ! Nothing special in the way of service from the nail techs. Of course, the ambiance is wonderful, but not worth that much money; I expected a really amazing experience, it wasn't.

The sad part is that they seemed to blame us for all that went wrong, and could really care less. The "manager" even came into the treatment room and had the nerve to ask if we wanted to see her schedule so we can see how things got thrown off. Of course, they said this was not the norm there, but I doubt that. This is a beautiful place, but the people running it are clueless and can't handle a simple change like that without ruining our experience there. It's seems amazing to me that they were so incompetent, but it's obvious some of the staff there need retraining.

• Liked — beautiful & clean
  • Disliked — front desk staff
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with friends
4 Thank MURRIE
new york
Reviewed 30 December 2007

Stayed for a few days, thought we were staying at a high end property since it was $355 per night plus another 20 with tax room was ok but niothing really to brag. Shower didnt work.. Rude on Checkin, indifferent restaurant staff. No Indoor Pool. Says its kid friendly but if you have kids you are shuttled into a cave of a dining room. Breakfast was the only thing good about this place. because of the rude and indifferent treatment we cancelled our spa treatments which would have easily added another thoiusand dollars to the bill. Dont waste you money at this place it is not close to being worth it. We never complain about this stuff but this place got under my skin I will never again set fooot near this place and I have stayed in great properties around the workd.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — terrible servicee and indifferent staff
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
#2 of 7 in Windham
Diamond Mills Hotel
Diamond Mills Hotel
#1 of 6 in Saugerties

Been to Emerson Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!