“Ignore the bad reviews. This is a very nice place!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Tremper
Emerson Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mount Tremper
Pawling, NY
“Ignore the bad reviews. This is a very nice place!”
Reviewed 1 June 2008

I booked a Friday/Saturday night stay, and then I read a few negative reviews on this site. All I can say is: Ignore the negative reviews.

My room was clean, well appointed, nice bathroom amenities, well maintained, nothing 'shabby' or 'cheap' was seen.

We did not use the spa, so we stayed at the Lodge section. Everyone was polite, the breakfast was great, especially the Sunday brunch.

Perhaps it was a bit expensive, but like I said, I did not take advantage of the spa/exercise equipment, etc. Me and my lady friend were there to hike and eat, and we enjoyed the Lodge at Emerson.

• Liked — Location (close to hiking trails), Cleanliness, Privacy
  • Disliked — No Cell Phone Service, TV reception was intermittent.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank localman12564

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
marleyrobertn
Reviewed 26 May 2008

someone else started their review with a ''where do i start''....they stole my opener! i don't usually do this sort of thing, but it is our duty as travelers to stick together.

just don't stay here, it is very weak. this is also one of the least family friendly places my family has ever visited. and i can tell you that this is neither resort, nor spa. if you knew me, you would trust me, trust me, this place is the pits.

gross water in the room, tons of human hair on the bed spread, oil stains in the headrest of the chairs, no curtains and blinds that looked like they had been chewed..this placed needed some tlc. bottom line is we split, and let the place keep our 50% deposit....which was generous. don't believe their website, believe the other reviews on this and other popular travel rating sites.

• Liked — ease of leaving
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank marleyrobertn
NYC, NY
Reviewed 25 April 2008

My husband and I recently stayed at the inn for a long weekend getaway. We had booked our stay with a package plan (which included room, breakfasts, afternoon tea, 3-course dinners, and a spa credit).

There was a lot of care and thought put into the overall design of the property, but small touches and staff confusion made for a less than perfect experience.

The room was very good, roomy, and well-designed with a separate seating area, fireplace and large bath. Instead of the usual 'do not disturb sign," the inn has a red or green tassel system, which the housekeeping staff seemed confused about. When I had the red (do not disturb) tassel on the door, housekeeping kept knocking until I answered only to be asked if I wanted turn-down service. The housekeeping staff was also very noisy in the mornings, giggling and talking in the hallway, which could be heard in the rooms.

I agree with the other poster, who commented on the fake flowers. The property seemed to have a great deal of imported art, carved wooden archways and doorways, beautiful fabrics, etc., and the silk flowers (while they appeared to be of decent quality) seemed to cheapen the effect.

The spa technicians were good -- professional, and well trained. The spa front desk, was a little less organzied. I asked to confirm my appointments, which they were happy to do, but when I asked for a discritpive list of their treatments (as I was interested in booking more than what I was scheduled), I was told "sorry, we're all out," and they could not even suppy a treatment price list.

The restaurant staff, was very earnest, but they also seemed confused. On our first night's dinner, our reservation was booked and noted as a package plan, but our server provided us a bill for the entire meal, when we should have been provided with a bill for beverages. Breakfasts were straightforward, and the waitress had full command of the billing situation.

There was lots of confusion regarding the afternoon tea, as no one told us where it was. We went wandering around to the restaruant and the spa cafe, and the waitress in the spa cafe knew nothing about it, and had to call to find out where we should be. We were brought to a separate seating area, where a tea was provided for us, but took about 45 minutes to serve. They were obviously taken by surpise, and while the tea tray contained some freshly prepared items there were also leftover desserts from the night before.

As another poster mentioned, the restaurant does not really serve spa cuisine. Since we were not expecting that, it was not a disappointment for us. We did feel they were trying to hard to impress with the dinners, and would have been better if a little less complicated (i.e., a filet mignon with a crabmeat crust AND a shrimp bernaise sauce had way too much going on, a bread pudding with an overly salted and inedible fleur de sel carmel sauce). Their goat cheese terrine, Rockefeller salad, and version of a motlen chocolate cake, however, were very good.

Because of the confusion during our stay, I did ask for a printout of the bill a few hours before checkout. As I suspected there were major errors, with our being charged for the entire dinner for our first night, and our spa credit was not applied. The front desk staff corrected this, and all was sorted out when we were finally ready to check out.

We selected the Emerson because we wanted a quiet getaway where all needs could be met without having to leave the property. While it did cover the basics -- it lacked the more professional touches that would have made it a truly memorable experience.

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — Staff Confusion
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MoxieGirlNYC
NY, NY
Reviewed 22 April 2008

Trying to figure out how to describe this place, I compare it to a really great looking sandwich. The waiter brings it to your table and it looks fantastic. But then you bite into it and it all falls apart. That's what staying at the Emerson Resort is like. we stayed at the more pricey and upscale Inn. From the outside, it looks fantastic. Mountain all around. a river running through the back. But then you are greeted by a couple of high school students who barely say hello or tell you what to do. At at least they are uniformed. Arriving at the front desk, we were greeted by a very pleasant woman (we later learned her name...Shona). But with all due respect, she looked like she just got out of bed, and that it had been a rough night. Not to be picky, or snobbish, but if I'm paying nearly $600 a night, I'd like the staff to be, well, dressed better. But she wasn't the only one; many others looked equally as unkempt. And that kind of typified the service level at the Emerson. It was ok. Passable for a mid-level Marriott or Sheraton but, not four-star (as its web site claims) and no where near 5-star. We didn't have many requests outside the norm but the ones we did have seemed to send the staff into a tizzy. Such a fuss. Though they eventually delivered, it was frenzied, chaotic and unprofessional. The restaurant and the spa were about the same...good, not great, and a bit of an attitude that seemed to say, "Hey, we're the best thing up here in the CAtskills so, we don't have to be much better than average." This place has a long way to go before it becomes a "real" resort, starting with a dress code and a little bit ...ok..a LOT...of customer service training. We were there when it wasn't very busy. I can't imagine how this staff could handle a full house. Give it a few years to see if it survives its current mediocrity. For now, I'd pass.

• Liked — Suites were great
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank woodchuck16
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 March 2008

Let's start by saying that I had high hopes for this visit. I had passed the Emerson a number of times on the way to a day of skiing nearby. I had also stopped in to get dinner on one of these occasions. In any case, my wife and I reserved a one nite stay at the Emerson and since we were w our kids, we were put in "The Lodge". For a AAA discounted rate of $277 per nite before taxes, we were put into a somewhat fancy MOTEL room.

The room was nice, decorated in mountain lodge style - but certainly not over the top and not worthy of almost $300 per nite.

The stay was pleasant and we were given buffet breakfast for 4 in the main hotel. Good granola and fried eggs. Also used the gym which was small but of high quality. Lots of people working out.

I think that the lodge is a good family option but should be priced at about $150 per nite. My wife was disappointed and I was a bit underwhelmed. I would not stay at the lodge again but overall it was an average experience.

Stayed March 2008
3 Thank travelingmannyc
New Jersey
Reviewed 1 February 2008

We wanted to get away for a quiet New Year's celebration and chose the Emerson Resort for its Spa and inclusive package offered for the holiday weekend. From the moment we entered, we were greeted like royalty. There was a door man inside who showed us to the reception desk. Our weekend itinerary was printed out and gone over thoroughly with the check-in manager. The hotel room was exactly as pictured on their website, if not better (we stayed in the Main Hotel; there are "lodges" next door that looked very nice from the outside). There were only a couple of hiccups in our stay, which were quickly tended to by the staff, but prevented me from rating this place 'excellent'.

The restaurant needs to work out a few kinks:

- Breakfast was very disorganized. The staff didn't explain there was a buffet; they just seated us and left us there without menus for 10 minutes before my husband got up and asked one of the wait staff running around for some information. She said, oh, this is a buffet and it's located in the other room. After we ate, we found out that you could order anything you want as well.... included in the package we were on.

- Dinner was the polar opposite. Extremely organized (almost annoyingly); Wait staff almost trip over themselves to whisk away your first course to make room for your second course before you're done. It's too abrupt and we felt rushed each night we ate there. The second night we asked our server to slow down and said we're trying to enjoy the atmosphere and food. She smiled and apologized and yet we still felt rushed.

- Lunch: there is no lunch.
The dining room closes at 11am and reopens at 5. However, there is afternoon tea served, but you need to make a reservation the day before. It is worth it. So much food - both savory and sweet. This is served from 2 - 4 daily. This was my favorite meal at the place! ! !

The SPA was amazing. One dislike was the main area where guests wait for their name to be called in robes. I noticed the men were all standing awkwardly. It's hard to sit down in mixed company in a robe....bare underneath...

Overall, the experience was worth the price. Excellent service, great room with amenities and very central to activities (skiing - Hunter Mt and Bellaire Mt very close).

The Emerson lived up to our expectations of a quiet, relaxing setting for us to ring in the New Year! We wanted to get away for a quiet New Year's celebration and chose the Emerson Resort for its Spa and inclusive package offered for the holiday weekend. From the moment we entered, we were greeted like royalty. There was a door man inside who showed us to the reception desk. Our weekend itinerary was printed out and gone over thoroughly. The hotel room was exactly as pictured on their website, if not better (we stayed in the Main Hotel; there are "lodges" next door that looked very nice from the outside). There were only a couple of hiccups in our stay, which were quickly tended to by the staff, but prevented me from rating this place 'excellent'.

• Liked — The Spa and the Room amenities
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank IrisheyesNJ
Little Falls, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 January 2008

The Emerson Resort & Spa is amazing! It is one of the nicest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. I am very picky and pay much attention to detail and I have nothing negative to say about these luxuriously appointed rooms. The rooms are decorated in a Moroccan theme with a modern, warm feel. The room is very large, with a fireplace, a balcony, a wine refrigerator, a regular refrigerator fully stocked with liquor, juice, water and sodas.
The same attention to detail and luxury can be seen in the bathroom as well. The large, soaking, jetted tub was relaxing and very clean. The separate shower is a Vichy- overhead and side jets. The towels are plush and top of the line.
The maid came twice a day to tidy up room and replenish towels, etc. Note, this was a holiday weekend and the service was great and consistent.
I called the day before arrival and asked for an early check-in and Shona at the front desk assisted with pleasure. We were able to check in to our room and have full use of all the resort's facilities at no charge by noon. I also requested a late check out 11pm the night before we were scheduled to leave. By the time I woke up and called down to the front desk, Shona, had arranged for us to have a 3pm check-out! Again, this was a holiday weekend and and the resort was at a full capacity but the customer service was warm, attentive and consistent. The other reviews I have read noted that the customer service was lacking- if there were kinks, there are absolutely none now.
The Spa is decorated in a moccoran feel as well and is relaxing and is deserving of the accredition. The staff was professional, helpful and attentive to the needs of myself and my boyfriend. The women's locker room was brand new, clean large Kohler showers, sauna and steam and had full array of products from lotions to hair products.
The Phoenix restaurant is a stand out and compares to those in Manhattan. The attention to detail in the food, the service the decor is apparent immediately. We had a great waiter, John, who happened to serve us both nights of our stay. He remembered what foods we were interested in trying, etc. The bartender, Theresa, remembered our drink order from the previous night and knew not to add fruit to cocktails without even seeing us. This may not seem like something to note, but these are just some of the personal touches and attention to detail that you will receive at this resort. The food has some asian flair and dishes are delicious. The sunday brunch has a large variety of sumptuous foods as well. The buffet breakfast is perfect- all the staples including low fat options.
In previous reviews, I have noticed travelers' negative opinions of the resort. Many of these traveler's were staying at the Lodge which is not connected to the resort (short walking distance away) and is an older property built around 1970's. It is an adirondack style- not luxurious accomodations. It is family friendly and the Catamount restaurant is very cozy, but not "chic" at all and isn't trying to be. The Inn at the Resort is all new and is chic, well decorated with the best furniture, etc imported from all over the world.
The Resort is located between magnificent mountains and the Esopos Creek runs behind the whole length of the resort. The sound is relaxing and adds to the charm of this resort.
If you are looking for a relaxing weekend getaway with a wonderful spa and luxurious accomodations and fine dining- this is it. I hope to be back at the Emerson very soon!

• Liked — The luxurious inn rooms, impeccable service, spa
  • Disliked — Nothing to dislike
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
#1 of 6 in Hunter
Starlite Motel
Starlite Motel
#1 of 2 in Big Indian

Been to Emerson Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!