“Fantastic Board Retreat”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Tremper
Emerson Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mount Tremper
Albany, NY
“Fantastic Board Retreat”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I brought my Board here for a strategic planning session - and what a perfect location! The rooms were so luxurious that several Board members thought they had accidentally been upgraded. Each room in the main building has a fireplace, balcony with a view of the Esopus creek, wine refrigerator, waterfall head and body jet shower and Jacuzzi tub. Cell phone reception is not great, but you can get texts and emails (free wifi) and there is no charge to use the phone in your guest room. That's right - you read that correctly - no charge to use the hotel phone.
Since we had a two-day business event there, we paid a per-person charge for a package including 2 breakfasts, two lunches, one dinner and water and coffee breaks throughout the day. The food, even by the standards of my picky members, was terrific. The only problem I ran into was that Kosher meals have to be ordered from off-site and they are somewhat expensive.
The wait staff (Eva and others) was terrific - very attentive, always checking in to see if we needed anything. The AV guy, (Fred) had us up and running quickly and efficiently. The front desk was very accommodating, even arranging a shuttle to the train station for one of my members at the last minute.
Although some members complained that it was a remote location - and as they come from all across New York State, wherever we go is going to be remote for someone - it was by and large, pretty easy to get to. The best way to get there is to take the NYS Thruway to Exit 19, then take Rte 28 all the way into Mt. Tremper. Your GPS may want to take you another way, but this is the most direct. Be aware that if you are taking Amtrak up from the City, you will need to exit at the Rhinecliff train station, which is still 45 minutes from the Emerson. A shuttle from the hotel may be available at a $75 charge. A cab will cost more.
Many of my folks enjoyed the exercise room and the steamer; a couple got massages and even more spent some time in the cute shops that precede the meeting space. And the kaleidoscope was a big hit for one of our staff!
All in all, this was a great experience and the facilities and staff at the Emerson made me look like a rock star to my Board!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank AnitaClone

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This is an immaculate hotel and resort. From the moment you step into the lobby to the regretful second you need to leave, you are surrounded by friendly, helpful resort professionals, incredible surroundings, and luxury experiences. The room was very large and all the appointments were first class. The spa was amazing and offered a wide variety of services as very competitive prices. We enjoyed breakfast at the Phoenix restaurant while overlooking the creek.

The whole experience was first class and makes one want to return as soon as possible.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Inn rather than the Lodge to be conveniently located by the Spa.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Travelforfun996
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Spent a night here for girls weekend. What a great little property. Room was spacious and clean, front desk was accommodating, Spa and amenities were lovely. Artwork in the hotel is amazing. We had a room that was upstairs and downstairs beds were very comfortable.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Gina P
River Edge, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We are extremely pleased with our experience at The Emerson. Our streamside room was fantastic and the view amazing. Everyone was extremely friendly and accommodating. The room was immaculate and cozy. Our couple's massage at the spa was wonderful. Our only complaint was the herd of elephants, aka the family of 4 (2 parents and 2 children) directly above us. The constant running back and forth, banging, constant dropping of heavy items, crying, screaming, and carrying on was incredibly irritating and distracting. We could not hear the television at night and were woken at 7am to the sound of children running back and forth. It was a huge disappointment that we could not get the full night's sleep were so looking forward to. We did not complain to management because we knew it was not The Emerson's fault that they acquired incredibly rude guests. Our only suggestion to The Emerson would be to keep families with children on the first floor and allow couples first priority to the second floor. Nonetheless, The Emerson really is a beautiful establishment and we hope to return one day and have better luck with our neighboring guests.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer B
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

We just recently visited the Emerson on our honeymoon and very much enjoyed it. Our room was clean and spacious and the front desk staff was friendly and helpful. There were a few small maintainance problems with our room, but nothing to become upset with. My only real complaints are with the hvac unit that really struggled to keep the room comfortable and if you are on the ground floor, the lower cost ones in the Inn, you are stream side but there is an embankment and a service road between you and it. We still enjoyed our coffee on the deck and admired the leaves. We loved our room and wanted to steal the bed. The bathroom too. Check out the artwork and the spa.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Cook-from-Derry
Rye Brook, New York
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Just back from an overnight at the Emerson - while the location is gorgeous (particularly this time of year) the staff would do well with some customer service training. When booking my 'stream side' room with a small balcony and fire place - I was expecting to sit out on my balcony, stream side enjoying the views. While I was stream side (although you would never know it) my balcony was next to the service road and maintenance area where I could see bags of dirty towels and enjoy the sounds of the exhaust fans. All hotels know which rooms are considered their least appealing and I am sure this one tops their list. The front desk staff was completely unconcerned with our dissatisfaction and without masking their annoyance offered us the opportunity to upgrade our room at a fee. They were more concerned with my signing the piece of paper that agreed to my paying additional fees than they were about my enjoying my stay with them. After agreeing to the new room, they handed us the keys and informed us they would now tell housekeeping we were vacating the original room as they would have to go back in and re-clean it. No one offered to help us move our things. The next morning at 9:20 am, housekeeping knocked on our door (despite the Do Not Disturb sign) informing us the front desk had sent them up to clean the room. Upon check out when we mentioned this to the Front Desk - there was again no concern for us or our experience. I should mention that we were paying full price for our original room and had booked directly through the hotel. On a brighter note - the folks at the Spa were lovely as were the people and food at the Catamount Restaurant. That said - i think I will look elsewhere for my next trip to the Catskills.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms closer to the front desk side.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank JXA2013
Emerson07, General Manager at Emerson Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
We apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Hearing feedback such as yours is always of great concern to us. Our business depends on satisfied customers and we do our best to make sure each of our guests is happy and treated with care.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Our day started beautifully, a nice drive through the changing foliage up to Mt Tremper, some horseback riding at a riding club nearby, and a delicious dinner at Peekamoose. But then disaster when we came back to Emerson Resort at 7:30pm.

A rock band was playing on an outdoor deck attached to the resort restaurant apparently for a wedding party. We had the good fortune of having a room directly next to it. The music was so loud, and the room insulation so poor, I could hear it as clearly as if I were in the wedding party, only that I am not.

If it were just me, I might have suck it up and gone out for a drive. But I have two young children with me, a fact I told the hotel when I made the reservation and we also requested a crib for my two year old.

So the hotel clearly knew we are traveling with young kids, who need to go to sleep early. So why did they put us closest to a noisy party? No idea.

When I called the front desk to complain, did they offer to do anything? No. I was told the wedding party paid for the after party till 11pm and the hotel is full. Can they ask the wedding party at least turn the sound level a bit lower? No. Apparently at this place, you can so whatever you want.

They even kindly referred me to the email reservation confirmation that stated there might be event happening at the hotel.

Did the email or the reservationist ever mention to me that I should be required to listen to a third rate wedding band till 11pm while I tried to get my two young kids to sleep? No.

Should a nice resort which advertised itself as an escape from the noise from the cities host noisy wedding parties that disrupt all the other paying guests? I don't think so.

It is the false advertising and complete irresponsiveness that bother me.

If you like playing with the odds and gamble with your not-so-often family get away, then come to stay here.

But please do yourself a favor, pick some other places if you were looking for a country side experience in the beautiful Catskills.

I have traveled the world and stayed at all sorts of places from the low budget motels to the five star hotels, and this, I can confidently say, is the worst night ever.

• Stayed October 2013
8 Thank Explorenew
Emerson07, General Manager at Emerson Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
As you mention, the foliage in the Catskills is definitely a sight to see and the Emerson was completely booked this weekend with guests enjoying the scenery and attending a joyful wedding event. We do our absolute best to ensure all our guests have a wonderful stay with us whether they are coming for the outdoors, the spa, an event, or simply a place to stay for the night on their way to their final destination. You selected one of our largest suites to accommodate the number of people in your party. Due to the size of the suite, we have a limited amount of this type of room available. We were also happy to provide additional amenities at no charge to meet your room requirements. You are correct – we did state in your confirmation to please be aware we are a full service hotel and there may be special events taking place during your stay. And as you and I discussed during your check-out, your comments have prompted us to look into providing more information regarding special events during the reservation process. You may not have been happy with your stay at the Emerson, but we encourage you to return to the Catskills again to enjoy the natural beauty of all the seasons!

Tamara Murray
#1 of 1 in Gardiner
Starlite Motel
Starlite Motel
#1 of 2 in Big Indian

Been to Emerson Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!