“Peaceful and Relaxing”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Tremper
Emerson Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mount Tremper
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We had the Family Suite for one night this past November. About a 2 hour drive from New Jersey but if you are looking for a quiet and peaceful hotel, this is it. The suite was huge with 2 floors. The kids stayed upstairs and had a blast up there especially with the view overlooking the river. The only thing missing from the suite was a fireplace. Would have been perfect with the cold temperatures. Had dinner at the Catamount. A little dark and food was just OK. My son had the wings which were swimming in bbq sauce. Nothing too memorable except that the waiter seemed annoyed and impatient with my sons food allergy requests. The next morning my wife had the hot stone massage and said that it was the best massage she's ever had, which I was surprised to hear. Breakfast at the Phoenix was great. Excellent view and the pancakes and french toast were tasty and gobbled up by the kids. Shops were interesting and had many antiques to check out. Only annoying issue was that my request for a late checkout were denied. It was extremely inconvenient because my wife's massage was till 11am which was checkout so my wife couldn't sit and relax after the massage. Other than that, it was a nice trip. May go back in the warmer weather to try and experience the outdoors.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jack081212

Reviewed 2 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Inn for an anniversary weekend. We overall enjoyed our stay but feel conflicted over the star rating and identity of this hotel. If like us, you are seeking a refuge from city noise, work and stress of life, the Inn isn't a bad place to stay. In fact I might even recommend it, but I do want to point out some oddities that struck us while there.

After checking in, we were surprised that there was no bellhop to escort us to our room or assist with our bags. It's not a huge deal, but that little touch would have made a big difference, especially after a 2 hour drive! Also, there was a staff member idly standing near the lobby desk doing absolutely nothing while we went off to 'find' our room. Granted that bellhop duties may not be his job, but he also wasn't making himself useful by just standing there looking at us. Then upon entering our room, I must say we were wowed with the more than spacious size and comfort of it, so no complaints there. But, we did have to scout out all the different light switches, fireplace switch, closet and heating controls. Also we nearly missed the fact that we had a balcony due to this inconvenient process. Again, the 3-5 minutes it would take to have someone assist with this would go a long way! For the price per night, it's definitely more than reasonable.

Then the bathroom which was very beautiful, was surprisingly lacking in bath compliments. There was no liquid soap for the sink but rather an awkwardly shaped soap bar which I didn't enjoy using, one very tiny lotion tube which wasn't even enough for me, never mind my husband, and although the soaking tub looked inviting, I noticed there was nothing use in the bath: no soap, no spa compliments, nothing. Its a good thing I didn't plan on taking a bath because there was nothing to take a bath with. I would think that with a spa the hotel boasts about, they would feature some of the spa bath products in their guest bathrooms. But it was really the lack of the bathroom basics that turned me off and did not give me restful feeling.

That night although the bed was comfortable, I kept waking up to an annoyingly bright light shining through the windows near the ceiling that had a measly silk covering which did not offer any shade. I am extremely sensitive to night light and have never had a problem at any other hotel. I was so miserable and couldn't wait to vent to the hotel the next morning about it. The one redeeming feature up till this point was their eagerness to fix the problem. They immediately had it covered and apologized. No push back or attitude about it. I appreciated that and my inner wrath subsided!

Later that day I enjoyed a facial which was very relaxing. For me it was the highlight of the weekend. It was only then that I felt somewhat pampered and looked after. But should I really have to spend an extra $100. on top of what I'm spending per night to feel this way??

Both nights we ate at the Catamount restaurant. The food was just ok. I must say that my husband and I are foodies and only ate there out of convenience, not because the food was particularly great. I was also disappointed over the lack of dining options for dinner. It seemed odd to me to go from the adults only, peaceful, impeccably designed Inn, to the rustic, family friendly, tavern style Catamount for dinner, and average food quality at that! For those traveling with their significant others, you won't feel any romance at this restaurant! And while I don't blame anyone there with kids (as it is after all "family friendly"), there was a family with extremely rowdy children running around the whole restaurant while the waiter chatted it up with the parents! They were all oblivious to the fact that everyone else was disturbed. At one point I couldn't even hear myself speak! For guests opting for "adults only" accommodation, these experiences are exactly what you try to avoid! Again, all of these things I felt robbed my relaxation and poorly fell short of my expectations.

We did not have an opportunity to dine at the Phoenix for breakfast on either morning. First, because of needing extra sleep in the morning due to a bad nights sleep, then because of rushing to check out the next day and running out of time! Thanks to my resourceful husband, he found the Phoenician Diner just a few miles down the road where we had breakfast/lunch each day. I highly recommend this place to travelers of the Emerson as they offer organic/local food at a great price. They serve breakfast all day and the service and food quality was great! The Inn never recommend any places such as this in the neighborhood, or asked if we were even interested. We found everything ourselves.

This is what I think future guests need to know if deciding to stay at the Inn: it's a beautiful, peaceful wonderfully decorated place. The spa is like any good spa: relaxing and clean. But thats pretty much it! Between these two things, what you see is what you get, nothing more. If you need to get away, want a beautiful room to relax in all weekend and maybe get a spa treatment, then the Emerson might fit the bill for you. But if you're expecting much more than that, you won't find it there unfortunately. For what they offer, it was an overall nice weekend. Yet my husband and I remain conflicted if we would return ever again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank MissJetNY
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Spent Thanksgiving at the Emerson....Everything exceeded my expectations. Less than 3 hour drive from NYC. Beautiful Native American/Asian decor throughout...Very friendly and efficient staff, although considering it was a busy weekend, they could have had an extra person at the front desk...Good food at both the Catamount for dinner (also small cozy bar) and the Phoenix for breakfast. We had a Junior Suite...worth the small price difference between that and a regular deluxe room. Mountain and river view - Bi-level...first floor bedroom and huge bathroom with whirlpool tub and double-head shower stall. Second level, living room with queen sleeper bed, comfortable lounge chair, small dining table and chairs, small fridge, sink, coffee set-up. Also small balcony off the second level. Very comfortable although we thought both beds were a little soft for our taste. Fitness center - not large but had all the equipment you would need for a good work-out. Beautiful spa with jacuzzi on outside deck, although we did not have time to have any treatments. Indoor connection to shops. You really don't ever have to leave the premises. Best part - dog-friendly, with a $35 fee, and there's a good-sized dog park on the grounds. We will definitely be returning in the summer - seems like there are a lot of activities in the area we would like to check out.

Room Tip: Go for the junior suites - they have balconies facing the river. One - room 109 - has both mountain...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank cleopatramagnolia
Reviewed 21 November 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at the Inn. What an amazing treat.

The imperial suite was luxurious. My favorite part was the tub, plenty of room for two to soak. The shower was fabulous as well. The bed was beyond comfortable with comfy linens. The fireplace is a nice feature to lounge in front of, especially with the chilly outside temps.

We ate in the village of Phoenica the first night, as well as breakfast the next day. I wish there was a shuttle of some sorts so that we could have enjoyed a few more drinks at dinner.

Dinner at the Catamount was good. Nothing over the top fancy, but well priced.

We didn't use the spa, but it's a must do for our next visit.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TammyHilfiger
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I brought my Board here for a strategic planning session - and what a perfect location! The rooms were so luxurious that several Board members thought they had accidentally been upgraded. Each room in the main building has a fireplace, balcony with a view of the Esopus creek, wine refrigerator, waterfall head and body jet shower and Jacuzzi tub. Cell phone reception is not great, but you can get texts and emails (free wifi) and there is no charge to use the phone in your guest room. That's right - you read that correctly - no charge to use the hotel phone.
Since we had a two-day business event there, we paid a per-person charge for a package including 2 breakfasts, two lunches, one dinner and water and coffee breaks throughout the day. The food, even by the standards of my picky members, was terrific. The only problem I ran into was that Kosher meals have to be ordered from off-site and they are somewhat expensive.
The wait staff (Eva and others) was terrific - very attentive, always checking in to see if we needed anything. The AV guy, (Fred) had us up and running quickly and efficiently. The front desk was very accommodating, even arranging a shuttle to the train station for one of my members at the last minute.
Although some members complained that it was a remote location - and as they come from all across New York State, wherever we go is going to be remote for someone - it was by and large, pretty easy to get to. The best way to get there is to take the NYS Thruway to Exit 19, then take Rte 28 all the way into Mt. Tremper. Your GPS may want to take you another way, but this is the most direct. Be aware that if you are taking Amtrak up from the City, you will need to exit at the Rhinecliff train station, which is still 45 minutes from the Emerson. A shuttle from the hotel may be available at a $75 charge. A cab will cost more.
Many of my folks enjoyed the exercise room and the steamer; a couple got massages and even more spent some time in the cute shops that precede the meeting space. And the kaleidoscope was a big hit for one of our staff!
All in all, this was a great experience and the facilities and staff at the Emerson made me look like a rock star to my Board!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AnitaClone
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This is an immaculate hotel and resort. From the moment you step into the lobby to the regretful second you need to leave, you are surrounded by friendly, helpful resort professionals, incredible surroundings, and luxury experiences. The room was very large and all the appointments were first class. The spa was amazing and offered a wide variety of services as very competitive prices. We enjoyed breakfast at the Phoenix restaurant while overlooking the creek.

The whole experience was first class and makes one want to return as soon as possible.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Inn rather than the Lodge to be conveniently located by the Spa.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Travelforfun996
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Spent a night here for girls weekend. What a great little property. Room was spacious and clean, front desk was accommodating, Spa and amenities were lovely. Artwork in the hotel is amazing. We had a room that was upstairs and downstairs beds were very comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
9 mi away
The Lodge at Woodstock
The Lodge at Woodstock
#3 of 3 in Woodstock

Been to Emerson Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!