“Leave the cannolis, take the spa”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Tremper
Emerson Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mount Tremper
Reviewed 5 April 2014

A new friendship resulted in a weekend invitation at a Sharon, Ct country home, but I held a soon-to-expire winning auction certificate for one night and dinner at The Emerson. I suggested one night in Mt. Tremper, and one in Connecticut, and suddenly we had an adventure to share!

Arrival and check in was efficient and friendly, 'though the big fireplace lounge off the lobby was off limits, being prepared for an event. Disappointing, as that was the best spot for lobby
hang-out and private conversation. And I love to sit in lobbies, watch people and have conversations.

Our room, however, was lovely and spacious and clean. A fireplace/gas heater was a pleasure to sit by, and provided a nice sound and warmth in the morning. (not quite like sitting by a lobby fireplace, however). Mattresses were excellent, pillows excellent, bathroom large with privacy toilet which I like.

Shortly after arrival, my generous friend invited me to a spa treatment, and they were able to fit us in at short notice: She had a massage (good) and I had a facial (very good). The spa was clean, well run, lovely space, and in warmer / drier weather one can sit outside on a back deck facing trees. There's also a hottub on the deck, and pleasing sculpture and art throughout the entire space--- lots of stonework and wood and sculpture and paintings. I really relaxed with this decor, very peaceful. There was a workout room nearby with good equipment, and at least one yoga/exercise room. NICE PLACE. Staff, friendly and helpful. Spa aetheticians, excellent.

But the bottom line is we won't return: A major drawback was the restaurant which is part of the compound in another building.

Ribs, burgers, fried food, heavy handed attempts at an "interesting menu"--- not a hint of healthy food or artisinal sophistication in an area where good ingredients are bountiful. My friend had ribs (granted a mistake post-massage) and later on felt ill.

We agreed that because of the restaurant and menu--- and mostly the quality of the food--- we wouldn't return to the spa, no matter how good it was. There was some lack of understanding apparently about all the facets of running a spa. And there are many alternatives from which to pick. in the Northeast. We want the whole package. This restaurant is sub par.

But once again, we liked the spa, the main building and the staff.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Jodi M

Reviewed 9 March 2014

After we left the "disastrous" Copperhood retreat and SPA, 2 days earlier, we went to Emerson Hotel and SPA.... WHAT a GREAT hotel, What a great SPA.. what a great experience, Everything there is fabulous... specially comparing to where we came from... and guess what?? was really cheaper then Copperhood, and Elizabeth prices...even the treatment prices... HOW COME????
Emerson is a great place to stay in Catskill mountain... their employees know what they are doing.. they are all very good professionals .. specially at the SPA.

Room Tip: ANY place at this hotel is nice... and is compatible with the price .
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank valery s
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Just want to again thank you for your help and for the incredible stay at the Emerson! We had an amazing time and enjoyed the views of the area as well as the accommodations! The room we stayed in was beautiful (I especially enjoyed the fireplace) and the staff were all friendly and made us feel welcome... especially the young woman who gave me my facial and my body scrub! She was great to chat with and made me feel comfortable and relaxed! We had a fantastic time and would like to thank everyone involved in making our stay so perfect! We will absolutely recommend The Emerson as a great getaway spot!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ashley W
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

We arrived during the storm on the 13th. The staff was very helpful throughout our entire stay. We dined at the restaurants on site , which had amazing food. Our wedding elopement was great! & the wedding coordinator Marci was a pleasure to work with as well as the photographer Jill. I definitely recommend if you are looking to elope. The loft suite at the inn was awesome & we love the fire place & 2 large bathrooms(all very clean). the spa and spa staff was excellent .The only downside is that there is no where to dine for lunch on site . the Phoenix closes at 12 noon and the catamount opens for dinner. But there are mini refrigerators in the room so just pack snacks and beverages. Also only basic cable in the rooms. Good idea to bring DVDs . overall The Emerson is a great winter getaway in the Mountains.

• Stayed: February 2014
6  Thank Tootsie061811
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We spent the week of Christmas in one of the family suites in the Lodge. We loved the quiet and spacious rooms. Staff took excellent care of us during our stay. We didn't eat at either Catamount or Phoenix. We did enjoy a massage at the spa. It was relaxing and clean.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Laurie B
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We had the Family Suite for one night this past November. About a 2 hour drive from New Jersey but if you are looking for a quiet and peaceful hotel, this is it. The suite was huge with 2 floors. The kids stayed upstairs and had a blast up there especially with the view overlooking the river. The only thing missing from the suite was a fireplace. Would have been perfect with the cold temperatures. Had dinner at the Catamount. A little dark and food was just OK. My son had the wings which were swimming in bbq sauce. Nothing too memorable except that the waiter seemed annoyed and impatient with my sons food allergy requests. The next morning my wife had the hot stone massage and said that it was the best massage she's ever had, which I was surprised to hear. Breakfast at the Phoenix was great. Excellent view and the pancakes and french toast were tasty and gobbled up by the kids. Shops were interesting and had many antiques to check out. Only annoying issue was that my request for a late checkout were denied. It was extremely inconvenient because my wife's massage was till 11am which was checkout so my wife couldn't sit and relax after the massage. Other than that, it was a nice trip. May go back in the warmer weather to try and experience the outdoors.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jack081212
Reviewed 2 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Inn for an anniversary weekend. We overall enjoyed our stay but feel conflicted over the star rating and identity of this hotel. If like us, you are seeking a refuge from city noise, work and stress of life, the Inn isn't a bad place to stay. In fact I might even recommend it, but I do want to point out some oddities that struck us while there.

After checking in, we were surprised that there was no bellhop to escort us to our room or assist with our bags. It's not a huge deal, but that little touch would have made a big difference, especially after a 2 hour drive! Also, there was a staff member idly standing near the lobby desk doing absolutely nothing while we went off to 'find' our room. Granted that bellhop duties may not be his job, but he also wasn't making himself useful by just standing there looking at us. Then upon entering our room, I must say we were wowed with the more than spacious size and comfort of it, so no complaints there. But, we did have to scout out all the different light switches, fireplace switch, closet and heating controls. Also we nearly missed the fact that we had a balcony due to this inconvenient process. Again, the 3-5 minutes it would take to have someone assist with this would go a long way! For the price per night, it's definitely more than reasonable.

Then the bathroom which was very beautiful, was surprisingly lacking in bath compliments. There was no liquid soap for the sink but rather an awkwardly shaped soap bar which I didn't enjoy using, one very tiny lotion tube which wasn't even enough for me, never mind my husband, and although the soaking tub looked inviting, I noticed there was nothing use in the bath: no soap, no spa compliments, nothing. Its a good thing I didn't plan on taking a bath because there was nothing to take a bath with. I would think that with a spa the hotel boasts about, they would feature some of the spa bath products in their guest bathrooms. But it was really the lack of the bathroom basics that turned me off and did not give me restful feeling.

That night although the bed was comfortable, I kept waking up to an annoyingly bright light shining through the windows near the ceiling that had a measly silk covering which did not offer any shade. I am extremely sensitive to night light and have never had a problem at any other hotel. I was so miserable and couldn't wait to vent to the hotel the next morning about it. The one redeeming feature up till this point was their eagerness to fix the problem. They immediately had it covered and apologized. No push back or attitude about it. I appreciated that and my inner wrath subsided!

Later that day I enjoyed a facial which was very relaxing. For me it was the highlight of the weekend. It was only then that I felt somewhat pampered and looked after. But should I really have to spend an extra $100. on top of what I'm spending per night to feel this way??

Both nights we ate at the Catamount restaurant. The food was just ok. I must say that my husband and I are foodies and only ate there out of convenience, not because the food was particularly great. I was also disappointed over the lack of dining options for dinner. It seemed odd to me to go from the adults only, peaceful, impeccably designed Inn, to the rustic, family friendly, tavern style Catamount for dinner, and average food quality at that! For those traveling with their significant others, you won't feel any romance at this restaurant! And while I don't blame anyone there with kids (as it is after all "family friendly"), there was a family with extremely rowdy children running around the whole restaurant while the waiter chatted it up with the parents! They were all oblivious to the fact that everyone else was disturbed. At one point I couldn't even hear myself speak! For guests opting for "adults only" accommodation, these experiences are exactly what you try to avoid! Again, all of these things I felt robbed my relaxation and poorly fell short of my expectations.

We did not have an opportunity to dine at the Phoenix for breakfast on either morning. First, because of needing extra sleep in the morning due to a bad nights sleep, then because of rushing to check out the next day and running out of time! Thanks to my resourceful husband, he found the Phoenician Diner just a few miles down the road where we had breakfast/lunch each day. I highly recommend this place to travelers of the Emerson as they offer organic/local food at a great price. They serve breakfast all day and the service and food quality was great! The Inn never recommend any places such as this in the neighborhood, or asked if we were even interested. We found everything ourselves.

This is what I think future guests need to know if deciding to stay at the Inn: it's a beautiful, peaceful wonderfully decorated place. The spa is like any good spa: relaxing and clean. But thats pretty much it! Between these two things, what you see is what you get, nothing more. If you need to get away, want a beautiful room to relax in all weekend and maybe get a spa treatment, then the Emerson might fit the bill for you. But if you're expecting much more than that, you won't find it there unfortunately. For what they offer, it was an overall nice weekend. Yet my husband and I remain conflicted if we would return ever again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel Dylan
Hotel Dylan
#2 of 3 in Woodstock
Best Western Plus Kingston Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Emerson Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!