“Could have been perfect.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Tremper
Kate's Lazy Meadow Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mount Tremper
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Gets a 4 for being so unique, but the reviews here pretty much sum it up. Good and bad. Pricy and quirky. Suite #1 was funky and spacious, but my first impression was sullied by a big dirty rag left by housekeeping on the coffee table. Décor-wise it was like a psychedelic dream, until I started to notice things weren’t kept up: several lightbulbs out, couldn’t get the oven/stove to work, or TV, or CD player, and one of the outlets was kaput (a light-up goat picture wasn’t quite as cool without the light). Sorry for the pun but it’s like the staff got kind of lazy about keeping up a great concept. Don’t get me wrong… I had a blast here. The remote-controlled fireplace was the sh-- and there are fascinating flourishes everywhere - a memorable and one-of-a-kind place for sure. But for $285/night in the dead of winter? Tough to recommend at that price when “little” things that shouldn’t be overlooked are.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Jester1
There are newer reviews for Kate's Lazy Meadow Motel

Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Kate's Lazy Meadow was the perfect setting for our 2 day winter adventure in the Catskills. We stayed in cabin #5 and loved the 50's decor! The 2 bedroom, 2 bath space was ideal for 2 couples to share. The space was very clean, well maintained, and warm (with help from space heaters and a gas fire place)! The bathrooms, attached to both bedroom, are tiny (NYC tiny) but very functional.
We cooked breakfast in the vintage kitchen and enjoyed a card game while blasting the B-52's on Pandora via Wifi provided at a very small fee.
This is the perfect place to relax, take a step back and time and escape!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2013

My partner and I recently spent a wonderful week at Kate's Lazy Meadow. We stayed in suite 5 which was large and very comfortable. The rooms were furnished in a groovy mid century style and sparkling clean. There was a cozy fireplace and a full sized retro pink kitchen. We cooked and enjoyed most of our meals in thereby saving money by not eating out. The grounds are beautiful and feature and upper and lower meadow. A beautiful sparkling stream runs through the property. There are apple trees heavy with fruit to which we were invited to help ourselves by co-owner Monica. All of the staff that we encountered from Monica, Carmon in the office, and Carrie the cleaner were friendly and helpful. I especially enjoyed lolling in the salt water hot tub at night gazing at the starry sky. From the other reviews that I've read it seems that many misunderstandings and dissatifaction come from not reading the information that Kate's sends you with your confirmation. The confirmation very clearly states what Kate's does and does not offer and tells you what to expect. We loved our stay at Kate's and look forward to returning in the future!

Room Tip: Look carefully at the many choices of rooms and take your time deciding which type of room best suit...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

I love this place. Coming from the W on Broadway to here might be a bit of a surprise but the environment is really beautiful. Now I have to say that we were invited there and did not pay for it, because paying $250 a night for this type of comfort might feel a bit too much. But it is really funny as far as design, you have to love it

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank weho69
Reviewed 3 September 2013

You would think that with the amount of travel a celebrity musician does that their hotel would be perfect! I am sure that Kate would never stay on the road in this motel that she puts her name on.
However sad but true, do believe all of the negative comments and reviews they are spot on and all true.
I will admit that this was not our first choice for lodging the others were sold out and now I understand why. We thought that for the rate they charged $300.00/per night that there must be something memorable/interesting about this place. Well the only thing interesting was how amazing it is that because you are a celebrity that people will put up with mediocre service and amenities and pay for the privilege.
The concept of the motel is cute if you like flea market chic but……………
Kate if you read this I would have loved for my $300.00:
• Cookies in your cookie jars.
• Bottle of water in fridge.
• Tea bags or coffee by the coffee maker. I think that even the most economical hotel has that.
• Somebody/Anybody running the place. Self-serve motel. Key left in envelope stuck to the door at arrival of 3:00pm. Knocked on the office door at 9:00 am still no one there.
• Upgrade the sheets to at least hotel standard rather than sale sheets from a discount store. I mean really this is a $300.00/night room.
• Maybe a free B52’s CD would be memorable
• Free Wi-Fi the additional $12.50 charge just adds insult to injury.

Room Tip: Pay as little as possible. Value is no more that $150.00/per night
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank llbarbie
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We first visited here in 2007 and I remember being charmed for the most part by the whole kitschy aspect of everything and only had a few minor issues. On our recent visit in 2013, I kind of feel like the honeymoon is over with me and Kate.
Granted, this is the Catskills - not the most with-it area of our fine state. It's an old mountain resort. I just have to think that there are better options. Here are my notes:
- Yes, to the musty smell. Luckily it was warm and dry outside so we opened every window and this subsided. But, if it was rainy or cold, that might be a real deal breaker.
- Small. We stayed in #3 which is one of the single bedroom units. We were up here for a wedding and it's a tight space to have two people trying to get dressed in. I travel for work constantly (here and overseas) and this is pretty much the smallest hotel room I've stayed in over the past three years.
- Showing age. In our room, the wallpaper was peeling in two places (kind of majorly). Lots of obvious spider webs - for instance next to the phone and the lamp right by the door. I realize we're in the "woods" and spiders are everywhere, but this is a housekeeping issue, not a "woods" issue.
- The shower is tiny. We live in NYC and have a small shower. My wife's review of the shower was, "it's impossible".
- The price. I'm torn on the price. Our room was $200/night. Six years ago I may have thought that was a good price for the fun decorating and the whole adventure and history of it all... My little internal value voice is making a bit of noise. It was fun to stay there once - but I know there have to be better values and properties in the Catskills. Right?

It needs a freshening up.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank OhFranklin
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We stayed in a room where the smell of mustiness was really strong, the wallpaper was falling off the wall, the room was small and very dark, and the bed uncomfortable. The garbage dumpster was prominently displayed. Perhaps if it didn't cost so much, we wouldn't have been as disappointed. The photographer who took the photos is a talented person who captured something that is no longer there. Yes, it must have been really cute, I loved some of the details, but all together it was unfortunate. After all of the notes from Kate displayed, I hope she is paying attention.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
#2 of 7 in Windham
Starlite Motel
Starlite Motel
#1 of 2 in Big Indian

Been to Kate's Lazy Meadow Motel? Share your experiences!