“not worth the hype!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mount Tremper
Kate's Lazy Meadow Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mount Tremper
“not worth the hype!”
Reviewed 28 April 2005

As huge fans of kitch 1950's. we were beyond excited to finally have the chance to stay at Lazy Meadow. Unfortunately, we were disappointed from the time we arrived. The vintage airstream trailer out front is stuffed full of junk! Not a good first impression! There was nobody in the office, and we were totally confused as to where to find the manager. We were never told to find our key in the office. When we got into our room, we felt totally ripped off! 170 dollars. You've got to be kidding! The TV was so small you could hardly see it! The "eclectic collection of DVD's" consisted of Blockbuster left overs like "Glitter", "Beach Party" and other titles nobody actually wants to watch. The bathroom is the size of a shoebox. The "designer" bed linens? IKEA. The grounds? The beautiful "Lazy Meadow"? Well, the neglected to tell us that the whole place had flooded the week before, leaving the "Lazy Meadow" awash. Bits of debris scattered the grounds (a picnic table was stuck in the trees). So much for sitting by the creek to relax near a bonfire. A note was posted on the office door saying that fires were not allowed because of the dry weather. The chairs were all rusted out anyway. On top of paying an arm and a leg for a room, I would have to buy new clothes as well if I sat on those chairs! We were especially insulted by the sign in the room telling us that there was no maid service and that we were expected to do our dishes if we had used them. I realize that this is not a 5 star hotel, but this is ridiculous! When we were ready to check out, there wasn't a soul around. After calling all possible numbers listed in the room and not getting anyone to pick up, we left our key in the drop box and headed on our way! Maybe they didn't want to hear our complaints upon check out!

• Stayed April 2005
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Reviewed 13 April 2005

If you love kitsch, chachke, psychedelic colored shower stalls, 50's kitchens, Kate Pierson, woods, bonfires and creeks, head out to Kate's Lazy Meadown just outside of Woodstock, NY. This funky motel is not for someone seeking a pristine boring hotel, this is for people with a sense of adventure who love the zanier things in life. This is a remote-ish area and you have to be a self entertaining sort of person who doesn't need a full service hotel.

Like Somerville, MA reviewer, I too met a friend from Boston at the Rhinecliff train station having come from NYC. I booked my room last minute and was greeted when I got there by a friendly guy who showed us around the place (including some rooms that were not even finished yet). Our suite was spectacular. It was 2 bedrooms and 2 baths and it was funky thru and thru! It had a fully equipped 50's style pink GE kitchen and being a chef, I can tell you there was everything you need to whip up a faboo meal!

The property is beautiful, woodsy with a great stream out back. It is kind of in the middle of nowehere, but some of us love that kind of getaway! And there is plenty to do, we had a meal at the CIA in Hyde Park, toured Woodstock, and Kate recommended this breakfast place in Phonecia (sp?) a small town right next to Mt. Tremper that had the MOST amazing breakfast! It is listed on the door of the rooms.

Hope on the cosmic wagon train and get ur booty to Kate's Lazy Meadow!

• Stayed March 2005
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 March 2005

I stayed at the Lazy Meadow twice last year (visited NYC & upstate from Texas) - once in summer, then in the fall. I can't wait to go back! The atmosphere was relaxing and fun. Unique decor - tchotchkes, clever wallpaper murals, cool tile work in bathrooms. The meadow is beautiful & faces the Esopus Creek. There's a place for a pit fire too. I think the website makes it clear that this is a laid-back setting. We like to be left to ourselves a bit more on vacation, but we did not lack for a thing during our stay. The staff was very friendly, helpful, & fun - we had no problems getting extra towels, having the hot tub heated up in advance... We appreciated getting some directions for the area & recs for restaurants, etc. Loved it - perfect for a long weekend, or, if you're lucky, a longer stay!

• Stayed October 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 November 2004

I absolutely adored Lazy Meadow! We stayed in #8, the duplex suite and it was great. The decor is stunning, not a detail has been overlooked. I thought the kitchen was well stocked and had everything i could've wanted.
The only difficult thing was to make a reservation, I do agree that the email policy is a bit complicated. However once we got there Ken was so helpful and kind. I believe he lives on the grounds so there is always someone around. He also gave us recommendations of things to do and where to get groceries.
This place is perfect if you want an escape from the city. The decor is absolutely great and so funky. The creek in back is beautiful as are the view of the mountains. I loved this place and can't wait to return!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 September 2004

My friend and I decided last minute that we wanted to get out of our respective cities (NYC and Boston) and go away for Labor Day weekend. She remembered reading about the Lazy Meadow in some travel magazine and figured she'd give it a shot. And we lucked out! The woman who answered told her that there had been a cancellation and that we had a choice of two rooms. We opted for #7, one of the two duplexes that are in a separate building from the other motel style rooms.

Two days later, we were packed and ready to go. My friend took the train from NYC to Rhinecliff (about 30 miles from the motel) where I picked her up on my way from Boston. Mapquest directions to the train station and the motel were great - the motel is right on Rte 28 which is one of the main roads, so it's not like there were any tricky side roads to worry about. It's a pretty straightforward ride.

We arrived around 530pm and found our key on the office door (as we had been told we would). The place was awesome. The decor is not for everyone, but if you like this sort of thing, you'll love this place. The living room had a pullout couch, and there was a bedroom upstairs. I don't know how four people would fit comfortably in the room we had, but it was perfect for two. We weren't expecting to find food of course, but we had a kitchen full of pots and pans, dishes and drinkware, coffeemaker, microwave, toaster, even a martini set. There was coffee and brand new Coffeemate in the fridge too. The ethernet was plugged in and ready to go. There's a little stereo, but be sure to bring CDs since we were hard pressed to get any good stations (we came across one, but their programming was a bit erratic). We also had a full video library - unfortunately our room didn't have a VCR, but we hit it off with our neighbors who did. The only thing we really needed was a set of sheets and extra pillows for the pullout, but Ken the caretaker (who we met when we arrived) got them for us right away.

Aside from the decor, it's really a beautiful place. From the balcony you can appreciate the meadow and mountain in the back while listening to the creek. It doesn't take long to walk to the creek, it's just past the bonfire site. On our last night there (we stayed for three nights), some of the guests in the other rooms invited us to join them at the fire.

As for things to do in the area, right down the street there is a place to go horeback riding. There are also hiking trails and lots of yard sales in the area (at least when we went there were!) A little further down is the town of Phoenicia - you'll find a couple of shops and some places to eat there. Woodstock isn't that much further down the road - apparently there are some nice restaurants and such. We brought food and drink with us, so we didn't go out to eat very much. If you don't feel like bringing food with you, there is a grocery store and a couple of liquor stores on Rte 28 not far from the motel.

You figure that anyone who would want to stay at the motel would have a certain kind of attitude, laid back and fun. And that's what we found from the folks we met. We really lucked out too, in that our neighbors were so cool, which helped add to the overall fun of the weekend.

So, if you're looking to be pampered by waitstaff, it's not the sort of place where you get room service knocking on your door. If you're looking to leave the city behind and get away for a couple of laid back days, you might want to consider Kate's.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 21 August 2004

From the moment we arrived (really, from the 5 weeks beforehand when we made the reservation), our experience went from bad, to worse, to completely untenable.

Making reservations was like pulling teeth - numerous phone calls and emails were required, and though a followup "confirmation" was promised two weeks ahead of our arrival, none was delivered until we called and emailed repeatedly to ask for one.
The trip up there from Philly was more or less fine - though the "directions" offered from MapQuest and Yahoo Maps were less than stellar - most competant hoteliers would have known that, and provided more specific and thoughtful directions in a confirmation email or on their website. Not so here.

We arrived well after 5pm, which is apparently quitting time at Kate's Lazy Meadow. I suppose we should have taken the repeating warnings that "if no one's here when you arrive, just check the office door for your key." Apparently no one intended to be there on our arrival - and after gropping around the quickening darkness to find our cabin, we entered to find:

- A phone which barely operated at all, and then only allowed for local calls, with no directions on how to make a long distance call (but hey, how many people travelling from out of town need to make a long distance call?)
- A kitchen that was not quite as "stocked" as we were led to believe - unless you consider a fridge with stale milk, and a single saucepan for cooking to be "stocked".
-3 unanswered pages to their "emergency" number
-High speed internet access that we could only access after moving every piece of furniture in the place to find the jack... good thing I remembered to bring my own ethernet cable, 'cause none was provided (standard fare at every establishment I've been to in the last 5 years.)

So we left, drove home in the pitch black from Upstate New York back to Philadelphia. Upon arriving home I called Amex and told them not to accept any charges from Kate's Lazy Meadow, and I called the motel to tell them how unhappy we were to have wasted an entire day and night driving, and to have ruined a vacation.

And now, the next day, have I received a call or an email apologizing? No, but I do see that they took the time to update their webpage at 11:27am this morning (August 21st) to include this information:

"... and there is no cellphone service here and we do not provide long distance service from the room - bring a CALLING CARD! also... if you'd like to use the internet while here let us know in advance if you'll need an ethernet cable... or you can bring your own."

Of course, as recently as July 28th (the last time that page was updated), that's not what the site said. Don't take my word for it, check out the Google cache:

We emailed them, told them how dishonest we felt it was for them to update their site first rather than get in touch with us, and received a reply which included the phrase, "I'm sorry we did not provide you with the level of service you were expecting - we're not a hotel and do not provide hotel services that you may be accustomed to receiving." Oh, and they won't be charging my card - lucky me.

Really, the level of service I was expecting was not one whit more than was promised on the website, though I received a lot less.

Up until this morning, when I saw they had changed the text on their site before responding to my complaint, I was ready to write this off as just a disappointing experience, a complete farce. But now, I'm totally convinced that these people are just lazy, and lacking even the slightest clue as to how to operate a service-oriented business. But hey, who needs customer service when you can just pay a designer to put together a cabin full of 50's retro kitsch, and leave the key hanging on the office door?

23 Thank blevin3000

#2 of 7 in Windham
Starlite Motel
Starlite Motel
#1 of 2 in Big Indian

Been to Kate's Lazy Meadow Motel? Share your experiences!