“Surprisingly Delightful”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Nanuet
Baltimore, Maryland
“Surprisingly Delightful”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

After reading some of the reviews of this property I was hesitant to stay here for 5 nights while visiting family in the area. But my experience was perfectly delightful.

I did not know it was a long term stay hotel when I booked it. What does this mean exactly? Mostly it just means that they don't come into the room to make your bed and change your towels everyday, they only do it once a week. That made no difference to me.

A long term stay hotel also means that the room was more like a little effiency apartment. I didn't really need the kitchen, but I found I used it anyway. It had a nearly full sized fridge with automatic ice maker (turn that off at night or it will scare the crap out of you), a full sized automatic dishwasher, a small electric 2 burner stove, a microwave, as well as dishes, glasses, cookware, utensils. If so desired, a large toaster oven can be borrowed from the front desk. Someone could basically live in this room.

The bed was small, only a full size, but I was alone so that was fine. The mattress was getting a bit dated as it was saggy in the middle, but not uncomfortable. The room could use a bit of freshening up, the curtains were torn a bit, the chairs worn out, but overall the room was clean. The bathroom was very nice.

I was concerned about security, being a woman alone. The front desk is not manned all the time and there are multiple entrances to this property (although they all require a room key to gain entry). It turned out to be fine, but still a concern. Also surprised there were not room safes.

Overall a surprisingly delightful sfay.

Room Tip: As for a room facing the front of the hotel if you don't want to hear noise from the train
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
massapequa
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I booked 3 nights just this past weekend. I went up to Rockland to attend a 14 year olds funeral. After staying at this hotel for 2 nights and after attending the wake and funeral, I was so emotionally drained and just wanted to be at home. When I tried to speak to the person at the desk, I was told that I would have to speak to priceline since I booked with a third party. He told me it was strictly up to priceline. Once I spoke to priceline, I was told that wasn't true that it was up to the manger. Well the manager declined my request for one night refund. We did not stay at the hotel and lost the money. Apparently the manger wasn't going to be in until Monday and I needed to know on Saturday as I was supposed to stay Saturday night. Being I go up to Rockland a lot, I would have wanted to use this hotel again, but now I never will and will advise all my friends not to use it either

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Nanuet, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Dear dtully2013,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I apologize for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay with us but please understand that when you book your reservation in a third party site certain restrictions apply to this reservation, and as such, we are unable to make any changes or modifications through our office/hotel. In order to modify or change your reservation you will need to contact the third party site were you booked your reservations. Nevertheless, I appreciate you for bringing this into our attention as the feedback we receive from our guests like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve our guest services.

Krysllin G.
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Nanuet hotels

Montreal, QC, Canada
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We booked this hotel because it was close to Woodbury Outlets. We stopped here for a night on our way home from NYC. The rooms are big, bed is small. Bed is for one person. When we checked in, the front desk clerk was nice, but he saw that we were two people. Why give us only a double bed? Kitchenette in the room. TV, VCR/DVD player. All included plus a funky smell and hair in the bed before we even got in it.. I don't think I will stay here again, even if the price was right.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 24 July 2013

this is one of the cheaper hotels in an expensive area. slowest internet computer in lobby. i am platinum priority club so called ahead and reserved top floor room facing north so not disturbed by train. my colleagues had worse luck. one got a smoking room, which he found unbearable. another took a room south and was bothered by train all night. his toilet also did not function properly. staff was OK. Male person checking in was rather grouchy but check out lady clerk was friendly and helpful. better option is best western though they are ten dollars more expensive but offer free breakfast which candlewood does not

Room Tip: take room on top floor facing north else you will be bothered by train noise all night
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank PULAOKHAO
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Nanuet, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Dear PULAOKHAO,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club Platinum member and for leaving us a feedback. I sincerely apologize for the experience you and for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Janice A
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I stayed here on business, so price and location were my most important factors. As I anticipated when I booked my reservation, this hotel hits the mark right on with respect to both, it was super value priced and a perfect location for getting in and out in the busy Rockland County metro area. What I didn't expect was such super service, friendly folks and spacious rooms. The gentlemen at the front desk was smiling when I arrived, and was helping me find a room on a top floor when the woman who was responsible for cleaning the third floor walked by and chimed in with a great suggestion for a room I would like, quiet third floor at the end of the hall, and she was spot on. I slept great, never heard a sound, enjoyed the coffee set up in the room and started my day fresh. Thank you so much for the wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms are quieter, but lower floor have easier access to the parking lot if you have a l...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 01dale
Bellmore, NY
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Was not able to book the usual places I stay at so I had to book an overnight stay here. Hotel is clean, room was comfortable and clean. Bed and Bathroom were huge. The place just doesn't have the feel of an overnight accommodation, geared more towards long term stays.

Room Tip: Get as far from the elevator as possible
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank srcesq
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Nanuet, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Dear srcesq,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. I am happy that you noticed the cleanliness not only of the room but of the entire hotel. On the other hand, I truly apologize for the not up to par experience you had during you stay with us. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen G.
Pune, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I stayed at Candlewood Suites for two months. Candlewood Suites is designed for long term stay, with every studio furnished with a kitchen. That, along with free laundry facility made my stay pretty comfortable. And a fixed time shuttle to drop me to my office and pick up in the evening, taking us twice a week to a nearby Indian Store to get our regular grocery supplies was an icing in the cake. This is a very thoughtful amenity from the management keeping in view there are quite a lot of people from India visiting on business and staying there for weeks at a time. Saves lot of time and money.

Candlewood Suites is good in most counts - amenities within the hotel and the room, upkeep and maintenance, ambience, front desk service for most part. Few things that were annoying are quite noisy equipments (refrigerator, air conditioning), three instances during my stay where all of a sudden I was unable to dial toll free numbers from my room, and an inordinately high amount they held up in my prepaid card (I went into a negative balance for a brief time). Front Desk never had convincing answers why I faced these issues - it was a plain "it is the way your reservation is set up" which is not quite helpful. Dryers frequently went down with clothes not drying even after the dryer running for one hour. Housekeeping services were not uniform, some weeks it was excellent, some weeks it was just ok.

Overall, it is quite ok and recommended for long term stay. For short term stay do bear in mind the hotel doesn't have an in-house restaurant (though there are eateries nearby).

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nanuet
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Nanuet
#1 of 2 in Spring Valley
The Time Nyack
The Time Nyack
#1 of 3 in Nyack

Been to Candlewood Suites - Nanuet? Share your experiences!