“No ghost”
Review of Shanley Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Napanoch
Shanley Hotel
Floral Park, New York
“No ghost”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Nice people , the smell of mold is all around the house especially in basement and third floor . I went with many believers which seemed to feel things . Which I believe its 100 percent in there heads. The people that confirm this place are going expecting things to happen . Truth is building is very old . Floors aren't level so they make noise , and the home is creepy ..and the guides tell u activity the most activity happens between the hours of 2am to 5 am .. Which happens to be when people are tired and delirious , the mind is a very powerful thing , there is no ghost here .. If there was it is 2013 ,,, they would have things on camera , solid proof , things always happen when cameras are off , come on ..

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank Robert M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I visited the hotel with a group of 6 on oct 12, 2013, all of us being skeptics for the most part. We did a guided investigation with Joe as the lead investigator who gave us a tour of each floor as we all investigated the paranormal activity taking place. We have heard that some people visiting the Shanley left without experiencing any paranormal activity but our group had experienced activity from the very beginning of the investigation. In the basement we had flashlights turn on and off to answer our yes or no type questions. The flashlights were pretty much going on and off to answer our questions without much delay as almost having a fluent conversation. Next was the bordello room where the ghost Anna took a liking to one of our male group members and gave us clear communication with him by using dowsing rods which followed him throughout the floor and he felt at some points as if someone was sitting on his lap. Next was the 3rd floor where we experience some crazy things happening. In Jonathan's room we had so much as a soccer ball move on its own as a group member enticed the spirit of the little boy to roll the ball and play with her. Their was also the use of flashlights to answer questions along with the dowsing rods which all seemed to work quite well. In Sarah's room two of our group members felt dizzy as soon as they entered the room (both female) and after learned that Sarah was killed. After, the group investigation was done around 1 am, we conducted our own investigation from 3-5 am and without the company of any lead investigator which was a completely different experience and we will all admit a little scary. We were apparently getting much more activity on our own and perhaps more negative such as the voice of the spirit Samuel in the bordello room, who guards the spirit of Anna, telling us to "get out" of later study of our voice recorder. On the 3rd floor the spirit Hook seemed to be more than happy to communicate with us and we all started getting jumpy when we asked him to roll the soccer ball and it moved forcefully across the room, then asked if he wanted us here by communicating through flashlights and he let us know that he did not so we split really quickly. At the end of the night we slept in Margarite's room and the sound room and heard the sound of running back and forth and playing with a ball all the way til sunrise and also the more startling voice of a women screeching help me all from the 3rd floor. All in all My friends and I would love to have remained skeptics but cannot disregard anything that we witnessed. We are almost forced to believe in the supernatural because our stay at they Shanley Hotel cannot be expressed or explained in any other way. As far as the owner Sal, he is an amazing guy as well as his wife Theresa. They made us feel right at home answered all of our questions, listened to our experiences, and didn't encourage us to believe in this stuff but simply let us determine for ourselves. Theresa was really nice and even let us use her investigative tools and brought us extra blankets to keep warm for our stay over. By the time we left they said we are part of the Shanley Hotel family and we left feeling like just that. We usually never write a review for anything, but after our experiences at the Shanley, we owe Sal and Theresa that much at least. Thanks again for making believers out of a bunch of city kids who thought it was all Hollywood hooblah. We look forward to visiting again and bringing more skeptics with us to convert. Hahaha (sinister laugh).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Melissa N
Liberty, New York
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I just recently spent an evening chillin with friends and Ghost hunting! There was also the Conneticut Paranormal Team infor an investigation while we were there. We had such an awesome time. Very old hotel, but, the rooms were beautiful and extremely comfortable. A great time and something very different. Sal the owner was a wonderful host.

Room Tip: Try to book when they have an investigation going on. They will take you on your own little investi...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 August 2013

My wife and I visited the Shanley for the first time the weekend of July 27th and 28th, 2013. Owner Sal Nicosia and his wonderful staff made us feel at home and we had a blast investigating the premises.
We can't wait to visit again!
Visiting experienced investigators will take you on a ghost hunt, AND/OR you can do investigations of your own---all day or all night long in the common areas, as long as you are a guest of the inn.
We were able to encounter a few pieces of interesting evidence, including EVPs, K2 and Mel Meter hits, and bright prominent orbs were very visible in our corresponding photos.
You need not own complicated equipment to enjoy yourself here. A digital camera and a small voice recorder will do just fine.
But if you get the urge to invest in ghost hunting equipment, the gift room has some devices for sale.
I recommend this inn for a unique, fun, unforgettable stay!

Room Tip: The Marguerite room where my wife and I stayed was very nice, but all the rooms are decorated in a w...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mario M
Yonkers, New York
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I have been to the Shanley Hotel every year since I've first learned of its existence. Sometimes when I go I bring someone new with me, if possible. It's a great hotel with a very friendly owner. I have slept in mostly every available room with a bed and wouldn't mind sleeping in a few rooms that don't have beds. Over the years, I have even become friends with the owner, Sal, who is a great guy. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an interesting night filled with a little mystery, suspense, and history followed by a comfortable sleep. The hotel provides a very homely atmosphere. It might not look like much from the outside, but the rooms are nicely decorated and quite cozy. Don't forget to stop at the gift shop before you leave!

Room Tip: If you are into ghost hunting, than this is the place for you. Otherwise, you can still enjoy a grea...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Oswego, New York
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Spent one night at the Shanley ghost hunting with friends. What a great experience. We didn't encounter any spirits but that is okay. The decor is so interesting, rooms are comfortable and hosts are great! You feel right at home. It's all very relaxed. I have been recommending this place to everyone since I came back as a one-night get-away for a group of friends.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Belleville, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My Girlfriend and I first went there in 2010 just to check it out ..by the time we left 2 days later we just fell in love with this fascinating hotel, Sal the owner was so gracious and kind that 1 year later we booked our team and specially picked friends to join us on a weekend of paranormal investigating // what the team didn't expect was that My girlfriend and I with the help from Sal and Diane Pressler from Dutchess Paranormal plan our wedding.,and we got Married at the Hotel that same weekend on April 9th 2011. was everyone surprised..and so were the spirits ,you see this was the first wedding to ever take place at the Shanley Hotel in almost 100 years since James Shanley got Married at the same Hotel that he owned in April of 1910 , And I do believe that James and Beatrice Shanley where also present you could just feel them in the great room when we took our vows . we plan to go back in Sept of 2013

Room Tip: great place to come and investigate,have fun or just hang out
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank richbellewoodpara
Also consider these accommodations in or near Napanoch
Minnewaska Lodge
#1 of 5 in New Paltz
Best Western Monticello
Best Western Monticello
#1 of 3 in Monticello

Been to Shanley Hotel? Share your experiences!