“Where's The Attention To Detail?”
Review of The Grainery

The Grainery
Ranked #9 of 23 Restaurants in Naples
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed 24 August 2016

We hit Naples at lunch time and decided to satisfy hunger before anything else. The Grainery was nearby and had the look of a local place. After a look at the menu board, we decided to share a turkey wrap. Four peole were running back and forth between the large open kitchen and the counter with looks of confusion. There were six customers in the place at the time and it seemed like a light load for such running around.

When our order was finally taken, we got and "Oh Oh" and a run to the kitchen. "The turkey is not ready, but it shouldn't take long." Fine, we'll wait. As we sat at a high bench, the same person came running up. ""We're out of regular wraps, would you like B, C or D? We picked B and it finally came. Okay, but with a very pungent dressing dripping on my plate. The wrap would have been better with no dressing, but who knew?

As we were waiting and regretting our choice just a little (Trip Advisor #1 restaurant was just up the road a mile), an other couple who had been waiting walked out the door and was chased by a staffer who assured them they would be served quickly.

We wanted plain drinking water, but the pitcher on the counter was empty.

I think gloves on food handlers are essential, but ours was wearing them on both hands while she grabbed the back of our stool, made change, ran to the kitchen to grab several things she needed, reached under the counter for containers. Later, I noticed that the glove was missing from her right hand while she made our wrap and rolled it up. Message to food handlers everywhere: "The gloves are not to protect your hands, they are to protect the customer from contamination!"

The single restroom was reasonably clean, but you have to walk through the food prep area to get to it making it very difficult to contol contamination.

This is a small place with four on staff and limited customers, so there's no excuse for not doing as my title suggests. Your customers notice the details even if you don't.

Reviewed 10 August 2016 via mobile

Good for bkfst or lunch. Quality fresh made bkfst or sandwiches. Locally owned and managed. No beer or wine. Has a nice chill/bistro feel. Would go back.

Reviewed 20 July 2016

Quick meal with excellent choices = healthy breakfast or lunch.
Fresh bagels and bread with creative combinations of toppings.

Reviewed 20 July 2016

While I have had inconsistent experiences at this place in the past, never has it been as bad as today. A friend and I arrived between 12:30 and 1:00 to have lunch before attending a matinee at the Bristol Valley Theater. One of the specials listed on the chalkboard was a BLT with avocado...yet, when I ordered it, the man at the register informed me that they were out of bacon and lettuce!!! Then why was it still on the board?? They were also out of egg salad and almost out of tuna. And also no iced tea! This is not a new place so they should have a better sense of what the lunch crowd is like on the day of a matinee and order accordingly. I work in a tourism industry in the area and unfortunately cannot recommend this restaurant any more, nor will I be back.

Reviewed 13 July 2016

We stopped late Sunday morning. When we ordered, the staff were friendly and warned that we had a number of people ahead of us, so there might be a delay. But I didn't expect a wait of more than 45 minutes for our wraps. There's a board prominently listing multiple types of 'fancy coffee', but when we ordered cappachino, the staff said they would 'try to make a cappachino'. My 'cappachino' was full of coffee grounds.
Suggestion: don't go on a Sunday morning, order bagels and regular coffee.