“Probably not again”

Narrowsburg Inn & Grille
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Narrowsburg
Narrowsburg Inn & Grille
Ranked #2 of 2 Narrowsburg B&B and Inns
“Probably not again”
Reviewed 6 September 2011

When I came finally made it to the "inn", I had to go to the bar (many patrons drinking) to announce that I (single woman-alone) was staying the night, that I made reservations two weeks prior and that it would be just me. I was not comfortable announcing that at the bar. Then the woman takes me upstairs, had to turn on lights, unlock doors and although my room was quaint with a decent bathroom, it was hotter than Hades because the a/c wasn't turned on. So the room smelled very musty. I was told I was going to be the "only one". That made me feel so much better after announcing it to the downstairs patrons that I was rooming alone and now find out I'm the only person staying. Woman, Alone, No Cell Service. Makes for a bad movie. Bed was just a cheap mattress on bed frame. I should have stayed in PA...there were far better accommodations for the same price and only thirty minutes away. I also stayed at Eldred Preserve after a concert in Bethel, NY and was very pleased and price was comparable. I won't stay here again. Too bad...the place IS very charming.

• Stayed September 2011
9 Thank Nynurse427

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Northeast
Reviewed 18 August 2009

The building and rooms are charming. However, the management definitely needs to get it's act together.

I booked a room for 3 nights over a month and a half in advance of my date - when I called a few weeks before to reconfirm, they couldn't find my booking, so I had to re-book. The same thing happened to friends of mine who also wanted to stay there.

I checked in late in the afternoon and when I went upstairs and found that my room had not been made up - I was told the maid was gone for the day and was switched to another , smaller, room. The bed was made in this room, but I found that the air-conditioner in the window had an open gap next to it of over six inches that opened to the outside - I complained and while I was out to dinner, someone came in and taped a piece of cardboard over the opening. That night around 3am the air-conditioner started making grinding noises and was spitting our chunks of ice into the room, so I had to shut it off in order to sleep.

The next day went downstairs for the continental breakfast that had been promised - found nothing and noone to answer any questions. By 10:30 someone showed up and I moved into the larger room that I was originally booked into. The bed had been made! The bathroom shower stall had bits of hair on the walls and floor, so I had to rinse it out before getting in.

Next Day: Continental breakfast, was out in the form of some old coffee that had been made the night before along with a box of doughnuts sitting out. That night got in bed around 11 - there was live entertainment in the form of a woman with a keyboard trying to channel Patsy Cline directly underneath my room and it was very loud. The noise continued until 2am when I finally got to sleep with a pillow over my head. This is ridiculous - no thought whatsoever to patrons who are staying there and trying to sleep. Live entertainment should be cut off at midnight...
Still not meant to sleep: the airconditioner in the room started dripping lots of water down the sill and on the floor around 4am - I had to get up and stuff a towel under the unit - being careful not to let it fall out of the window, as it was not secured1

I'll never stay there again. Sad, as this is a very pretty place with lots of charm and could be a primo destination. The owner/manager needs to get his act together where this place is concerned!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
4 Thank travelguyNortheast

Travellers are raving about these Narrowsburg hotels

Long Island, New York
Reviewed 3 January 2008

My family and I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Narrowsburg Inn. We were in the area for a family reunion and stayed at the Inn for the weekend. 3 other relatives stayed at the Inn as well. I was lucky enough to get the owners suite with beautiful woodwork and floors from the 1800's. It was plenty big and very cozy.
We all ate in the Tavern one night and found the food fantastic. I actually ate a buffalo burger and loved it!
We were also very lucky to find out that a musician named Kevin Campion was playing there. There was a nice crowd with friendly people. He seemed to be a regular and was quite good.
In general our stay was fantastic. The staff made you feel at home and the owner was always available. One downside is no cell service, but we were allowed to use the Inn phone at no charge.

• Liked — The fun of staying in such an old historic building
  • Disliked — no cell service
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank fishing-family8
New York
Reviewed 11 November 2007

We stayed in the suite, which is the only room with a private bathroom. Breakfast is not included or offered for an additional price. The decor was from the 1970s and needed to be updated. We arrived very late at night and after we were settled, noticed a huge spider suspended from the ceiling. Then another one next to it and then two more very large spiders over the bed. We also found several small spiders. Total spider count was 11. I woke up every hour thinking that something was crawling on me. There were cobwebs covering the ceiling and a layer of dust over the furniture and lamps. The sheets did seem clean, but nothing else did. There was even a funny stagnant smell infused with mold coming from the bathtub. When we were asked how our stay was the next morning, we told the owner about the spiders. His response was that he bombs the place for bugs once a week, but they still get in. These spiders were there for quite some time, however, as evidenced by their size and by all of the cobwebs. It's also unusual to find that many spiders in one room. We told him about the cobwebs and that the room was dusty. He said he has a woman in to clean once a week and that since the inn is located on a corner, more dust gets in and they can't control it. The inn is on a corner, but it is not a very busy road, as it is a small town. I guess it didn't occur to him to have the room cleaned more than once a week. In any event, the room was so full of cobwebs and dust, it seemed it hadn't been cleaned in several months.

Also, when we first arrived, we were told not to open one of the windows, as there was a large bees' nest outside. The owner told us he nailed the window shut so that it couldn't be opened. We were told that he is the new owner and took over the place a few months earlier. There are not too many options in this area, but we would definitely choose another hotel.

• Stayed October 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank trpplnr
Rochester, Michigan
Reviewed 29 May 2006

The neatest thing about the Narrowsburg Inn is that it is a real inn -- not just a house that lets people sleep in the bedrooms or a motel with a B&B sign. And, it has been an inn for a long, long time.

It has sleeping rooms upstairs, including a terrific suite where we stayed. On the ground floor there are dining rooms and a great bar and restaurant. The bar is friendly all week and has entertainment on the weekends. You can't help but imagine weary 19th century travelers finding refuge in this inn. It is an easy place to lose yourself, and a hard place to leave.

The Narrowsburg Inn is the oldest continually operated inn in the state of New York, but the current owners, Tom and Rose, have restored it to just the right level of modernity. They didn't sacrifice any of its rich history or its charm though. I'm sure the ghosts of former guests and proprietors would feel at home in its present state, but we felt good there too.

It was like escaping to a simpler time. The Zane Grey museum is just up the road in the house where he and his family lived. There's no doubt in my mind that he visited the Narrowsburg Inn for inspiration. A few miles further is the Eagle's Nest, that incredible scenic stretch of mountain highway where they film all those TV commercials -- a spectacular, winding drive that will make your SUV feel like a roadster.

The inn is located in the quiet, little town of Narrowsburg along the Delaware River, where time seems to have slipped by the same gentle way the river passes through. To say it is quaint is an understatement. Somehow, Narrowsburg has resisted temptations of modern times and retained its simple elegance. They told me that every year on July 4 they close off Main Street to celebrate the birth of our country. The town springs to life, a good life. They also do that for a special Riverfest celebration, but I am not sure what that is.

We stayed at this inn because it was half way between my daughter's graduation in Philly and my nephew's house in Ballston Lake. We needed a break between visits. What a find! Only a couple hours from New York City, it is far from the fast-pace and tuned-in world as it could possibly be. We are definitely going back and we're recommending it to our friends, but only the ones we like. We found it at [--]

12 Thank John B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Narrowsburg
Wayne Inn
Wayne Inn
#3 of 3 in Honesdale
Hotel Wayne
Hotel Wayne
#2 of 3 in Honesdale
The Lodge at Woodloch
Fosterdale Motor Lodge(Closest To Bethel Woods)
Catskill Mountains Resort
Catskill Mountains Resort
#2 of 5 in Barryville
Cove Haven Resort
Cove Haven Resort
#1 of 2 in Lakeville

Been to Narrowsburg Inn & Grille? Share your experiences!