“Down to Earth, Perfect Relaxation” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of New Age Health Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Neversink
New Age Health Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Neversink
IR221
“Down to Earth, Perfect Relaxation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2007

I have been to the New Age Health Spa twice. Both times were in the off season and it was delightfully uncrowded. I enjoyed a fantastic experience both times and it was truly the perfect vacation for me. This place is not for everyone. If you can't go out without a perfect manicure, are into designer labels, require 1000 thread count sheets, this spa will not be your cup of tea. It's about a healthy, spiritually uplifting experience and it very much what the individual makes of it. There is little interaction with any kind of director during the day. The staff is warm and friendly but you have to figure out how to use the place yourself. The first time I went I did virtually every activity and there are many. From early morning meditation, to yoga to fun exercise classes to a demo in the greenhouse of drying herbs, you can have a packed schedule if you wish. The second time I knew to bring a bathing suit and enjoyed the exquisite indoor pool with giant picture windows overlooking the picturesque grounds. I took some classes, enjoyed the pool, jacuzzi and steam room and had an even better time the second time. Both times I met interesting people and shared meals and conversation in a relaxed atmosphere. The rooms are simple. The food is healthy and simple and while much of it is good, I didn't consider most of the food great but others did. I expect to go at least once if not twice a year from now on to recharge my batteries, while getting away from it all.

Stayed November 2007
4 Thank IR221

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Atlanta GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2007

A friend and I booked a "mini-week" at the New Age Health Spa and could not have been more pleased with our five day stay. The atmosphere is not posh; the setting and facilities are similar to a mountain lodge. It was warm and cozy and very comfortable. The food was exceptionally fresh and well prepared. We selected this spa over others because of the price and the extensive offerings of classes and activities. We were not disappointed. The yoga classes in the beautiful Cayuga Center were exceptional. Even though it was a slow season, the spa was fully staffed and a full offering of classes was available. My experience at New Age was more than I had hoped for and I plan to return.

• Liked — Total mind, body, spirit renewal!!
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank JYA6768
Newark, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2007

i had visited the spa a number of times over the past 8 years and this past visit was my last. it has changed and lost what made it special. the service is rushed, the check in staff impersonal and at times down right rude sadly. the rooms are the equivalent of a motel six, thin walls, cheap, small shower, lacking any decoration this has always been the case but before you were not paying much. now with prices ranging from 300 to 500 a night one expects and deserves more. the grounds are still lovely and the food remains the same-healthy and low calorie. the classes are limited and often get too crowded. they say the offer hikes, etc. but these are cancelled if a certain amount of people do not sign up. strange. the buildling where one gets spa services is in major need of a overhaul. the carpeting is so worn and dirty, the sauna/steam area needs to be completely renovated. perhaps with all they are charging for the rooms they can afford to do this.
one woman was charged 55 dollars because she showed up 2 hours early. she wasnt given her room so she had no idea what the charge was for-she paid for lunch outside of this. anything to make a buck was the general feeling. (triple check your bill!)
the spa is referred to as "rustic" when in truth its just "cheap".

• Stayed September 2007
7 Thank krywy
long island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2007

After reading some negative experiences I felt compelled to add my own which was the complete opposite one. This place is charming , natural, organic and relaxing. If you are looking for a spa to walk around pretending you're a movie star, this place is not for you. No outfit changing here. Instead you'll find simple, natural, pure accomodations and label free surroundings.
The owner, an athlete and competitive swimmer is a great example of aging gracefully and healthy.

My favorite trip was the Anti Aging week. At 46, You learn it is about the body mind connection and this place focuses on just that. With daily yoga and nature hikes, even one to a local waterfall, chanting and massages along with juicing, you can detoxify and restore yourself. OR you can sleep late and do nothing at all. I do everything.

The food is sooooooooo delicious since much of it comes from their own green house, which you can tour, like having your own Whole Food market catering your stay. Fresh blueberries and strawberries for breakfast with whole grains is ideal and amazing. Huge salads at lunch and dinner with soups and fish, chicken flavored perfectly. Desserts , I learned what a portion really is, were visually mastered and most memorable was the carob brownie with raspberries.

The lectures all focus on health, physical and mental, to help balance yourself and your life. This place is glamourous but not in a hollywood glittering made up type of way but in an authentic. true health and renewed beauty way. You will look amazing when you return home...if you're like me, you'll never want to leave. I look forward to going back every year and can't wait..

• Liked — relaxed simple quiet
  • Disliked — driving from Li
  • Stayed April 2006, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank alessa36
USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2007

My sister and I had looked forward to a second trip to new Age Health Spa for an entire year. She had heard so much about the healing stone therapy in summer 2006 that she was determined to splurge and try the pricey treatment. Instead of healing, she ended up in the emergency room at Catskill Regional Medical Center. The hot stone therapy literally burned skin off her back. The second-degree burns, coupled with the spa management's indifference to her plight left both of us anxious to escape from New Age. The spa management wasn't interested in her oozing wounds and the long-term damage that their treatment had caused. When the spa owner finally acknowledged the burn (the day after we reported it to her staff), all she was interested in was pressing my upset and disoriented sister for a quick signature so she wouldn't take legal action.

Even now, several weeks after her body has begun to heal, my sister is still feeling the effects of the incident. My sister's six-year-old is repulsed at the sight of the ugly burn marks. My sister tried to hide them but her daughter sneaked a peek, as children will do. It brought my little niece to tears to see the pain her mother must be feeling. My sister had to purchase anti-scar cream and ointments in an attempt to minimize the long-term effects of the spa's sizzling stones. Only time will tell whether her skin will fully recover.

New Age promotes itself as a destination for renewal that caters to the total mind, body and spiritual health of the guests. That may be true until something goes wrong. When my sister was hurt through no fault of her own, the spa management tried to blame her and claim it must be something about her skin that was the cause of the burn. Outrageous! We will never frequent that establishment again and, furthermore, we will recommend that others not only skip the stones, but skip the whole New Age Health Spa experience.

• Liked — Proximity to the hospital for emergency medical care
  • Disliked — Burns to my sister's back caused by a purported healing stone therapy and the rush to get her to waive her right to legal action
  • Stayed June 2007
6 Thank sttlynch
Newton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2006

I went to New Age for a different experience from the normal tourist trip last September and loved it. It was definitely something I did just for me. From the moment I arrived, I felt welcomed. The entire staff was friendly and helpful. I went on hikes, took some classes and enjoyed the pool as often as possible. We took trips to see bald eagles early in the morning as the mist rose from the water [amazing], we went for long, long hikes which ended at a small waterfall where we went barefoot in the water, rested and had a healthy snack before heading back and went to the paddock to feed apples to the horses.

The food was wonderful! There were plenty of choices to make at all meals and you really could taste what you were eating. Fresh fruit salads, healthy soups and delicious breads accompanied most meals [if I remember], and the portions were perfect.

I found one of the best things about New Age is that you do what you want to, not what anyone tells you to do. You can do as many or as few things as you want. It's not a camp where you have to attend all meetings or classes. They even have a lounge where a movie is shown each night.

I, too, can't understand the previous reviewer's comments. Yes, it is a bit basic, but that's what I was looking for -- not a 4 star accommodation. If you want that, go somewhere else. You will meet down to earth, real people at this place and I plan to go back in September for another week of relaxation and fun!

• Stayed September 2005
5 Thank RidingGirl
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2006

What a wonderful place! I had such an excellent stay at New Age, and I brought my first-time spagoer friend, and we both had a blast. I just can't understand the other reviewer's negative impressions. I have to offer this balancing opinion.

First, the accommodations are not those of a four star hotel. Get over it, if you want that go to Nemacolin or Golden Door. The rooms were, however, perfectly adequate, perfectly clean, and the temperature control was fine. I chose a midlevel priced room, and I was pleased with the rustic paneling and newly renovated bathroom, though I thought the bedspreads a little country-cute. But who cares! If you're spending all your time in your room you're missing the point anyway!

The draw for this spa is the classes, both the yoga instruction (which is amazing -- appropriate for all levels, and takes place in a beautiful heated-floor temple with such an atmosphere of calm) and the interesting cardio and sculpting classes (filipino faux fencing, bellydance, Nia -- it was all new to me, and amazing fun).

The food was wonderful -- creative, healthful, and filling, and different every day. Breakfasts were hearty with oats, baked apples, cereal options, and protein options like eggs and cottage cheese. Lunch featured beautiful soups, a salad bar brimming with vegetables and just-picked greens, and a vegetarian entree that was excellent every time.

Likewise, dinner offered soups, salad bar, and either a fish or chicken or veggie option. I loved every meal, and even my meat-eating guest enjoyed trying the vegetarian options like tofu and tempeh in different dishes.

Having gone in February, I can't say much about the outdoor activities -- I eschewed the rainy hikes for back to back exercise classes from 7am to 1pm. But the grounds were lovely, even in the early spring before the green came back! I can't wait to go back for a summer sweat lodge weekend and do all the hiking, though it will be tough to forego the excellent yoga classes.

Another HUGE highlight are the spa treatments, like the AMAZING hot rock massage that seemed to go on for hours, and the facial that left me feeling clean clean clean. The technicians were well-trained and very accomplished. I had one of the best massages of my life!

But the best part were the gorgeous, wonderful women I met there, who were all so nice and friendly and decent and funny. We all needed some time and space to relax, and it was so pleasant to do it among such pleasant people.

I think you get out of New Age what you put in to the experience. There were a few execeptionally needy and demanding guests who just seemed to be unhappy people, and we avoided them because they tended to infect the atmosphere with their discontent. I think that's a hazard of the spa experience, since there will always be those who expect to be waited on hand & foot. Perhaps the negative reviewer fell into that category.

Just wanted folks to know that I thought New Age was a fabulous experience, that left me feeling energized, cleansed, relaxed and joyful. Most important, I found that it really jump started my committment to taking care of myself and my health. I still think of the great lessons that I learned there. Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Neversink
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
BEST WESTERN Monticello
#1 of 3 in Monticello
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa

Been to New Age Health Spa? Share your experiences!