“I loved every minute!”
Review of New Age Health Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Neversink
New Age Health Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Neversink
Newton, Massachusetts
“I loved every minute!”
Reviewed 17 May 2006

I went to New Age for a different experience from the normal tourist trip last September and loved it. It was definitely something I did just for me. From the moment I arrived, I felt welcomed. The entire staff was friendly and helpful. I went on hikes, took some classes and enjoyed the pool as often as possible. We took trips to see bald eagles early in the morning as the mist rose from the water [amazing], we went for long, long hikes which ended at a small waterfall where we went barefoot in the water, rested and had a healthy snack before heading back and went to the paddock to feed apples to the horses.

The food was wonderful! There were plenty of choices to make at all meals and you really could taste what you were eating. Fresh fruit salads, healthy soups and delicious breads accompanied most meals [if I remember], and the portions were perfect.

I found one of the best things about New Age is that you do what you want to, not what anyone tells you to do. You can do as many or as few things as you want. It's not a camp where you have to attend all meetings or classes. They even have a lounge where a movie is shown each night.

I, too, can't understand the previous reviewer's comments. Yes, it is a bit basic, but that's what I was looking for -- not a 4 star accommodation. If you want that, go somewhere else. You will meet down to earth, real people at this place and I plan to go back in September for another week of relaxation and fun!

• Stayed September 2005
5 Thank RidingGirl

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 May 2006

What a wonderful place! I had such an excellent stay at New Age, and I brought my first-time spagoer friend, and we both had a blast. I just can't understand the other reviewer's negative impressions. I have to offer this balancing opinion.

First, the accommodations are not those of a four star hotel. Get over it, if you want that go to Nemacolin or Golden Door. The rooms were, however, perfectly adequate, perfectly clean, and the temperature control was fine. I chose a midlevel priced room, and I was pleased with the rustic paneling and newly renovated bathroom, though I thought the bedspreads a little country-cute. But who cares! If you're spending all your time in your room you're missing the point anyway!

The draw for this spa is the classes, both the yoga instruction (which is amazing -- appropriate for all levels, and takes place in a beautiful heated-floor temple with such an atmosphere of calm) and the interesting cardio and sculpting classes (filipino faux fencing, bellydance, Nia -- it was all new to me, and amazing fun).

The food was wonderful -- creative, healthful, and filling, and different every day. Breakfasts were hearty with oats, baked apples, cereal options, and protein options like eggs and cottage cheese. Lunch featured beautiful soups, a salad bar brimming with vegetables and just-picked greens, and a vegetarian entree that was excellent every time.

Likewise, dinner offered soups, salad bar, and either a fish or chicken or veggie option. I loved every meal, and even my meat-eating guest enjoyed trying the vegetarian options like tofu and tempeh in different dishes.

Having gone in February, I can't say much about the outdoor activities -- I eschewed the rainy hikes for back to back exercise classes from 7am to 1pm. But the grounds were lovely, even in the early spring before the green came back! I can't wait to go back for a summer sweat lodge weekend and do all the hiking, though it will be tough to forego the excellent yoga classes.

Another HUGE highlight are the spa treatments, like the AMAZING hot rock massage that seemed to go on for hours, and the facial that left me feeling clean clean clean. The technicians were well-trained and very accomplished. I had one of the best massages of my life!

But the best part were the gorgeous, wonderful women I met there, who were all so nice and friendly and decent and funny. We all needed some time and space to relax, and it was so pleasant to do it among such pleasant people.

I think you get out of New Age what you put in to the experience. There were a few execeptionally needy and demanding guests who just seemed to be unhappy people, and we avoided them because they tended to infect the atmosphere with their discontent. I think that's a hazard of the spa experience, since there will always be those who expect to be waited on hand & foot. Perhaps the negative reviewer fell into that category.

Just wanted folks to know that I thought New Age was a fabulous experience, that left me feeling energized, cleansed, relaxed and joyful. Most important, I found that it really jump started my committment to taking care of myself and my health. I still think of the great lessons that I learned there. Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Long Island, New York
Reviewed 27 February 2006

I just spent a week at New Age and I have no idea why the last reviewer was so negative. I thoroughly researched a variety of spas before choosing New Age and it was clear to me that there would be no alcohol, nicotine, or caffeine. My room was rustic, as many are in the Catskills, but nicely furnished and more than adequate for my needs. The heat worked fine as did the hot water. I believe that the food was wonderful overall, but it did take some getting used to if one does not normally eat so healthfully. The range of programs from Tantric Aerobics to Walking Meditation were wonderful. I would only add that it would be nice to have some of them in the evening as they were geared more toward the early riser. The informational lectures in the evening were helpful and all of the spa treatments were first rate. I went for rest, relaxation, and to jump start my fitness goals. New Age was perfect for all of these. I would definitely visit again.

• Stayed February 2006
11 Thank TLutz
South Salem, NY
Reviewed 6 August 2005

I have just returned from a "mini-week" stay at New Age Health Spa in Neversink, NY (south Catskills). The stay was horrible. I will never return, and will urge my friends and anyone else who will listen not to waste valuable vacation time and money at this place.
We encountered the following issues in our 5 night stay:
-Upon entering past the security gate, guests are greeted with the following (paraphrased) sign near a trash barrel: "Please deposit all sugar, candy, alcohol, drugs, caffeine here." Throughout the grounds and/or in guest rooms there are NO SMOKING signs and reminders that caffeine and alcohol are strictly prohibited. Not a huge problem in and of itself (although I did sneak in some real coffee!) but my first impression was one of mandatory re-hab not a relaxing spa.
-No staff were available in the front office when I arrive at Sunday night, 6:00pm, to check in. I wandered until finding the dining room, and was told by waitstaff that I would have to wait until 7pm to check in, as "staff were eating dinner."
-Our room ($2540 +tax for the stay) was dark, with only one small window overlooking the parking lot. The shower stall was so small that I was forced to shave my legs in the sink. The pink walls and fussy bedspreads did not seem to match the Spa's self-purported aim of simplicity & relaxation.
-There was no adequate climate control in the room. Air conditioning was on at full blast, and the first night we froze, even with windows open (as suggested by the staff) and extra quilts. We requested our vent closed, and turned on the baseboard heaters... which then would never shut off. Our room was over 95 degrees (the highest point on the thermostat) for an entire day. Maintenance did not seem to believe that there was a problem with the heat, and insisted it was hot because we had requested our AC vent closed.
-After complaining, we were moved to a room across the hall, much nicer (although same price category), with a big window overlooking the grounds. Unfortunately, this room had no hot water and, despite multiple complaints, we did not get hot water for the remainder of our stay (3 days).
-The pool & yoga facilities were quite lovely; unfortunately, neither the indoor nor outdoor pools opened until 10am. The spa facilities were clinical (pale green tile on floor, ceilings & walls in every room) and not quite clean. During my massage I stared down from the massage table at an unkempt pile of dusty wires.
-The services (massage & pedicure) were well done and the therapists pleasant and competent. The rest of the staff (front office, wait staff, instructors) ranged from surly to merely incompetent. One housekeeper and one yoga teacher were very pleasant exceptions.
-There was no consistency in the classes; Hatha Yoga was offered every day, but one class was excellent and enjoyable, one the next day, with a different teacher, was miserable. I thoroughly enjoyed Tai Chi... which was offered only once in the week.
-Lastly, the stay included all food; three meals daily. The food was unendurable. Several people at meals told me that the Spa was essentially a "reducing" spa, although the website seems to position it as a relaxation/de-stress spa. There was no variety in meals... in 4 days that we had meals there, the same exact fish dish was served twice for dinner, the other two dinners were similar chicken BBQ. The salad bar consisted of exactly: greens, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, sprouts, shredded carrot and shredded jicama every day. Breakfast was similarly static - fruit, oatmeal, toast, hard boiled eggs, low fat cottage cheese.
There were many small aggravations... waiting 20 minutes for silverware... the one pepper mill broken and the waitstaff simply saying "that's all we have"... not being able to do anything during the dinner hour as every facility is closed so the staff can eat. Simply put, the experience was miserable. I am more stressed now than I was when I checked in. What baffles me most is that, for every person we heard complaining (about the room, about a bad massage, about a class) we heard from people who were on their 4th or 5th visit and simply loved the place. For the life of me, I cannot understand why. I could not recommend it less.

• Stayed August 2005
42 Thank kmportero
Also consider these accommodations in or near Neversink
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Cold Spring Lodge
Cold Spring Lodge
#2 of 2 in Big Indian

Been to New Age Health Spa? Share your experiences!