“Love this Place” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of New Age Health Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Neversink
New Age Health Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Neversink
long island
“Love this Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2007

After reading some negative experiences I felt compelled to add my own which was the complete opposite one. This place is charming , natural, organic and relaxing. If you are looking for a spa to walk around pretending you're a movie star, this place is not for you. No outfit changing here. Instead you'll find simple, natural, pure accomodations and label free surroundings.
The owner, an athlete and competitive swimmer is a great example of aging gracefully and healthy.

My favorite trip was the Anti Aging week. At 46, You learn it is about the body mind connection and this place focuses on just that. With daily yoga and nature hikes, even one to a local waterfall, chanting and massages along with juicing, you can detoxify and restore yourself. OR you can sleep late and do nothing at all. I do everything.

The food is sooooooooo delicious since much of it comes from their own green house, which you can tour, like having your own Whole Food market catering your stay. Fresh blueberries and strawberries for breakfast with whole grains is ideal and amazing. Huge salads at lunch and dinner with soups and fish, chicken flavored perfectly. Desserts , I learned what a portion really is, were visually mastered and most memorable was the carob brownie with raspberries.

The lectures all focus on health, physical and mental, to help balance yourself and your life. This place is glamourous but not in a hollywood glittering made up type of way but in an authentic. true health and renewed beauty way. You will look amazing when you return home...if you're like me, you'll never want to leave. I look forward to going back every year and can't wait..

• Liked — relaxed simple quiet
  • Disliked — driving from Li
  • Stayed April 2006, travelled solo
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank alessa36

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2007

My sister and I had looked forward to a second trip to new Age Health Spa for an entire year. She had heard so much about the healing stone therapy in summer 2006 that she was determined to splurge and try the pricey treatment. Instead of healing, she ended up in the emergency room at Catskill Regional Medical Center. The hot stone therapy literally burned skin off her back. The second-degree burns, coupled with the spa management's indifference to her plight left both of us anxious to escape from New Age. The spa management wasn't interested in her oozing wounds and the long-term damage that their treatment had caused. When the spa owner finally acknowledged the burn (the day after we reported it to her staff), all she was interested in was pressing my upset and disoriented sister for a quick signature so she wouldn't take legal action.

Even now, several weeks after her body has begun to heal, my sister is still feeling the effects of the incident. My sister's six-year-old is repulsed at the sight of the ugly burn marks. My sister tried to hide them but her daughter sneaked a peek, as children will do. It brought my little niece to tears to see the pain her mother must be feeling. My sister had to purchase anti-scar cream and ointments in an attempt to minimize the long-term effects of the spa's sizzling stones. Only time will tell whether her skin will fully recover.

New Age promotes itself as a destination for renewal that caters to the total mind, body and spiritual health of the guests. That may be true until something goes wrong. When my sister was hurt through no fault of her own, the spa management tried to blame her and claim it must be something about her skin that was the cause of the burn. Outrageous! We will never frequent that establishment again and, furthermore, we will recommend that others not only skip the stones, but skip the whole New Age Health Spa experience.

• Liked — Proximity to the hospital for emergency medical care
  • Disliked — Burns to my sister's back caused by a purported healing stone therapy and the rush to get her to waive her right to legal action
  • Stayed June 2007
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
6 Thank sttlynch
Newton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2006

I went to New Age for a different experience from the normal tourist trip last September and loved it. It was definitely something I did just for me. From the moment I arrived, I felt welcomed. The entire staff was friendly and helpful. I went on hikes, took some classes and enjoyed the pool as often as possible. We took trips to see bald eagles early in the morning as the mist rose from the water [amazing], we went for long, long hikes which ended at a small waterfall where we went barefoot in the water, rested and had a healthy snack before heading back and went to the paddock to feed apples to the horses.

The food was wonderful! There were plenty of choices to make at all meals and you really could taste what you were eating. Fresh fruit salads, healthy soups and delicious breads accompanied most meals [if I remember], and the portions were perfect.

I found one of the best things about New Age is that you do what you want to, not what anyone tells you to do. You can do as many or as few things as you want. It's not a camp where you have to attend all meetings or classes. They even have a lounge where a movie is shown each night.

I, too, can't understand the previous reviewer's comments. Yes, it is a bit basic, but that's what I was looking for -- not a 4 star accommodation. If you want that, go somewhere else. You will meet down to earth, real people at this place and I plan to go back in September for another week of relaxation and fun!

• Stayed September 2005
5 Thank RidingGirl
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2006

What a wonderful place! I had such an excellent stay at New Age, and I brought my first-time spagoer friend, and we both had a blast. I just can't understand the other reviewer's negative impressions. I have to offer this balancing opinion.

First, the accommodations are not those of a four star hotel. Get over it, if you want that go to Nemacolin or Golden Door. The rooms were, however, perfectly adequate, perfectly clean, and the temperature control was fine. I chose a midlevel priced room, and I was pleased with the rustic paneling and newly renovated bathroom, though I thought the bedspreads a little country-cute. But who cares! If you're spending all your time in your room you're missing the point anyway!

The draw for this spa is the classes, both the yoga instruction (which is amazing -- appropriate for all levels, and takes place in a beautiful heated-floor temple with such an atmosphere of calm) and the interesting cardio and sculpting classes (filipino faux fencing, bellydance, Nia -- it was all new to me, and amazing fun).

The food was wonderful -- creative, healthful, and filling, and different every day. Breakfasts were hearty with oats, baked apples, cereal options, and protein options like eggs and cottage cheese. Lunch featured beautiful soups, a salad bar brimming with vegetables and just-picked greens, and a vegetarian entree that was excellent every time.

Likewise, dinner offered soups, salad bar, and either a fish or chicken or veggie option. I loved every meal, and even my meat-eating guest enjoyed trying the vegetarian options like tofu and tempeh in different dishes.

Having gone in February, I can't say much about the outdoor activities -- I eschewed the rainy hikes for back to back exercise classes from 7am to 1pm. But the grounds were lovely, even in the early spring before the green came back! I can't wait to go back for a summer sweat lodge weekend and do all the hiking, though it will be tough to forego the excellent yoga classes.

Another HUGE highlight are the spa treatments, like the AMAZING hot rock massage that seemed to go on for hours, and the facial that left me feeling clean clean clean. The technicians were well-trained and very accomplished. I had one of the best massages of my life!

But the best part were the gorgeous, wonderful women I met there, who were all so nice and friendly and decent and funny. We all needed some time and space to relax, and it was so pleasant to do it among such pleasant people.

I think you get out of New Age what you put in to the experience. There were a few execeptionally needy and demanding guests who just seemed to be unhappy people, and we avoided them because they tended to infect the atmosphere with their discontent. I think that's a hazard of the spa experience, since there will always be those who expect to be waited on hand & foot. Perhaps the negative reviewer fell into that category.

Just wanted folks to know that I thought New Age was a fabulous experience, that left me feeling energized, cleansed, relaxed and joyful. Most important, I found that it really jump started my committment to taking care of myself and my health. I still think of the great lessons that I learned there. Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Long Island, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2006

I just spent a week at New Age and I have no idea why the last reviewer was so negative. I thoroughly researched a variety of spas before choosing New Age and it was clear to me that there would be no alcohol, nicotine, or caffeine. My room was rustic, as many are in the Catskills, but nicely furnished and more than adequate for my needs. The heat worked fine as did the hot water. I believe that the food was wonderful overall, but it did take some getting used to if one does not normally eat so healthfully. The range of programs from Tantric Aerobics to Walking Meditation were wonderful. I would only add that it would be nice to have some of them in the evening as they were geared more toward the early riser. The informational lectures in the evening were helpful and all of the spa treatments were first rate. I went for rest, relaxation, and to jump start my fitness goals. New Age was perfect for all of these. I would definitely visit again.

• Stayed February 2006
11 Thank TLutz
South Salem, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2005

I have just returned from a "mini-week" stay at New Age Health Spa in Neversink, NY (south Catskills). The stay was horrible. I will never return, and will urge my friends and anyone else who will listen not to waste valuable vacation time and money at this place.
We encountered the following issues in our 5 night stay:
-Upon entering past the security gate, guests are greeted with the following (paraphrased) sign near a trash barrel: "Please deposit all sugar, candy, alcohol, drugs, caffeine here." Throughout the grounds and/or in guest rooms there are NO SMOKING signs and reminders that caffeine and alcohol are strictly prohibited. Not a huge problem in and of itself (although I did sneak in some real coffee!) but my first impression was one of mandatory re-hab not a relaxing spa.
-No staff were available in the front office when I arrive at Sunday night, 6:00pm, to check in. I wandered until finding the dining room, and was told by waitstaff that I would have to wait until 7pm to check in, as "staff were eating dinner."
-Our room ($2540 +tax for the stay) was dark, with only one small window overlooking the parking lot. The shower stall was so small that I was forced to shave my legs in the sink. The pink walls and fussy bedspreads did not seem to match the Spa's self-purported aim of simplicity & relaxation.
-There was no adequate climate control in the room. Air conditioning was on at full blast, and the first night we froze, even with windows open (as suggested by the staff) and extra quilts. We requested our vent closed, and turned on the baseboard heaters... which then would never shut off. Our room was over 95 degrees (the highest point on the thermostat) for an entire day. Maintenance did not seem to believe that there was a problem with the heat, and insisted it was hot because we had requested our AC vent closed.
-After complaining, we were moved to a room across the hall, much nicer (although same price category), with a big window overlooking the grounds. Unfortunately, this room had no hot water and, despite multiple complaints, we did not get hot water for the remainder of our stay (3 days).
-The pool & yoga facilities were quite lovely; unfortunately, neither the indoor nor outdoor pools opened until 10am. The spa facilities were clinical (pale green tile on floor, ceilings & walls in every room) and not quite clean. During my massage I stared down from the massage table at an unkempt pile of dusty wires.
-The services (massage & pedicure) were well done and the therapists pleasant and competent. The rest of the staff (front office, wait staff, instructors) ranged from surly to merely incompetent. One housekeeper and one yoga teacher were very pleasant exceptions.
-There was no consistency in the classes; Hatha Yoga was offered every day, but one class was excellent and enjoyable, one the next day, with a different teacher, was miserable. I thoroughly enjoyed Tai Chi... which was offered only once in the week.
-Lastly, the stay included all food; three meals daily. The food was unendurable. Several people at meals told me that the Spa was essentially a "reducing" spa, although the website seems to position it as a relaxation/de-stress spa. There was no variety in meals... in 4 days that we had meals there, the same exact fish dish was served twice for dinner, the other two dinners were similar chicken BBQ. The salad bar consisted of exactly: greens, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, sprouts, shredded carrot and shredded jicama every day. Breakfast was similarly static - fruit, oatmeal, toast, hard boiled eggs, low fat cottage cheese.
There were many small aggravations... waiting 20 minutes for silverware... the one pepper mill broken and the waitstaff simply saying "that's all we have"... not being able to do anything during the dinner hour as every facility is closed so the staff can eat. Simply put, the experience was miserable. I am more stressed now than I was when I checked in. What baffles me most is that, for every person we heard complaining (about the room, about a bad massage, about a class) we heard from people who were on their 4th or 5th visit and simply loved the place. For the life of me, I cannot understand why. I could not recommend it less.

• Stayed August 2005
42 Thank kmportero
Also consider these accommodations in or near Neversink
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
BEST WESTERN Monticello
#1 of 3 in Monticello
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa

Been to New Age Health Spa? Share your experiences!