“spotless and peaceful”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Paltz
Hungry Ghost Guest House
Ranked #3 of 8 New Paltz B&B and Inns
“spotless and peaceful”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The location is idyllic. The house is located near town (New Paltz) but you feel like you're in the middle of nowhere. As we drove down the driveway, we felt our stresses vanish. The house is engulfed with nature.
We were welcomed with a cozy fireplace. The guesthouse is spotless. Every surface is clean. The linens are a pristine white. The hot tub is easy to use and a delight at night.
The house is a half a mile from the rail trail. My husband enjoyed morning runs on the trail while I took a brisk walk. We really felt like "we got away from it all."
The breakfast and coffee in the morning is a "disco of heaven." Petra is wise with nutrition. She is also a wonderful guide. She had many suggestions that fit our personalities. Per her suggestions, we went to the waterfall in Lake Minnewaska State Park and on a rainy day, we went to Olana. We enjoyed both adventures.
Hungry ghost is very reasonably priced.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ricemuncher
ppetraj, Owner at Hungry Ghost Guest House, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
The Disco of Heaven.... I can't thank you enough either, for your amazing suggestion for my dining experience near your home base!... love when we all share ideas and pointers. all good, as they say. We will let you know when we are headed your way again. p.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Waldwick, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 24 September 2013

My wife & I stayed here back in 2010 and again earlier this month (Sept 2013) this time with our two boys ages 8 and 5. Petra and Mike are great. It's very relaxing there and they treat you like family. Petra made DELICIOUS breakfasts for us both mornings including getting up at 5 a.m. on Sunday to accomodate us (and the other guests as well) before a big triathlon. My boys are still talking about the pancakes. The rooms are clean and super relaxing. Heated beds are a really nice touch. There are beautiful glass pitchers in the room to fill up with the filtered water which is especially delicious there. Mike and I went on a nice run on Saturday morning on a nearby rail trail which was right off a postcard. Green, lush, and scenic. I would stay there again in a heartbeat and frankly I'm looking for an excuse to go back soon!

Room Tip: We stayed in the rooms on the first floor... both are clean, cozy, with nice natural light.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your very lovely review. What a weekend! It was so heart-warming to be a part of a very special weekend for your wife. She was, and is, amazing!!! Any plans to return to the Shawangunk Mts and the SOS triathlon in the near or distant future?

Each year we seem to fill up with the SOS athletes. I love getting up super super early (just this once) to feed you all lots of sustaining food, and then have time myself to head out to the course and cheer you on.

stay well, my best to the boys; they too are pretty incredible.
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We spent the past weekend at Hungry Ghost Guesthouse and we will return for sure to our wonderful hosts, Petra and Mike. Their b&b is a special retreat from the city. The bedroom (room no 1) was very comfortable, bed and towels of good quality. Petra cooked for us every morning a breakfast made from fresh products from the local farm. She also picked us up from New Paltz - since we came by bus from nyc - and drove us to Mohonk Preserve the next day, with detailed recommendations on trails and places to eat. We enjoyed having breakfast on the porch, overlooking a small pond and manicured landscape. We relaxed in their outdoors jacuzzi. There is an outdoor shower which we did not try but looked very appealing - there are so many things to do at the house and in the vicinity. There is a trail in walking distance from the house which leads to Rosendale, a small town Petra recommended; we had sandwiches and excellent deserts at the local bakery. People, including taxi drivers ($8-10 from New Paltz) are so friendly. Tavola in New Paltz is an excellent choice if you like Italian food and we were impressed with the rich selection of beers at Bachus. We felt so relaxed after the weekend we spent at Hungry Ghost Guesthouse. Thank you Petra!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
So happy that you enjoyed your weekend away. It is pretty incredible what is only an hour and 35 minutes away from the bustling city! The bus is only four miles away from the house (by car or trail), and although cabs are readily available, we are happy to pickup our foot-travelling guests. It did work out nicely that we were able to get you up to the mountain house, and although we can't do it always, it is nice when we can.

Spring is almost upon us, so we hope to hear from you soon!

P.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We just returned yesterday from a wonderful stay at Hungry Ghost. Petra and Michael are the perfect hosts - Petra in particular is a genuinely kind, considerate and excellent host and person. I can see why they are always booked - it is like visiting good friends you've known for years, even if it's your first time there. Petra's cooking is also phenomenal. We have a fantastic time, and cannot wait to go back this winter. Thank you Petra!! :)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Candi_HappyVegan
I have to admit, that here it always seems, guests turn into friends, and friends into family. We have collected so many wonderful guests, friends and family over the years. Glad that you are a part of it!

P.
Port Washington, New York
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I fully agree with the many stellar reviews below. Petra and Mike are incredible souls whose house is a refuge of peace and well being. Their caring, intelligent and empathetic approach to all visitors makes them stand apart from all other bed and breakfasts I've experienced in my many travels. Worn out and emotionally raw from strenuous challenges, my partner and I found ourselves relaxing and releasing our tensions just being in this wonderful place. And we didn't even get a chance to enjoy the hot tub, which looks fantastic, or the famous pancakes (we overslept and had to leave in a hurry but they smelled delectable!). You will never regret going out of your way to stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank flyermontana
I will accept this as quite a complement as I remember you travel all over the world for work and play. I also know that you will be jumping out of planes this summer right here in the gorgeous Hudson Valley. Stop in to visit or stay. or both! p.
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I'm going to use this review to thank Petra and Mike for the wonderful time we had at their place 3 weeks ago. Do yourselves a favor, stay with them, the house is awesome, they are really nice and genuine people. Besides the great time we had there (and the delicious breakfast and beautiful hot tub) they kindly sent my swimsuit back after I left it in the outdoors shower (which we recommend, specially at night).

We will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BrooklynJose
Thank you for staying with us! and for reminding me how much I also love the outdoor shower at night. It is easy to take it for granted. hope we see you soon. P.
Voorhees, New Jersey
Reviewed 7 July 2013

This was my second stay at the Hungry Ghost with my fiance and this time another couple we traveled with stayed as well. Returning was like visiting family! Mike and Petra welcome people into their home so effortlessly. Their laid back energy/vibe is contagious and instantly puts us into vacation mode. As usual, they had perfect recommendations for food, sights, and directions. Petra's vegan breakfasts were perfect as always. This visit was a reminder that I will never stay anywhere else in the Gunks. The house and property are beautiful. Don't miss the outdoor shower! It's impossible to not love this place! The only bad part is leaving!

Room Tip: We have staid in both of the first floor rooms (1 and 2). Though 1 is larger, they are both equally...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eartraveler
ppetraj, Owner at Hungry Ghost Guest House, responded to this review, 9 July 2013
Seriously, your names are engraved in my brain, 'nough said. such fun. (sorry there was no wood to stack in July...)
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Paltz
1850 House Inn & Tavern
1850 House Inn & Tavern
#1 of 2 in Rosendale
Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa

Been to Hungry Ghost Guest House? Share your experiences!