“Hiked the price from the reservation price”

Rodeway Inn and Suites
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Ponca City
“Hiked the price from the reservation price”
Reviewed 1 September 2010

The front desk manager at this hotel is the rudest, least helpful, and most obnoxious man I have met in over 40 years of traveling. Rooms were supposedly reserved for family wedding guests at a rate of $99.00 per night. Members of the wedding party contacted the hotel several times, prior to check-in to confirm the rate. At that time they left credit card information to hold the rooms. When I stopped to pick up keys on the wedding day I was told I had to pay for the rooms, at a rate of $121 for the first room with two guests and $132 for the room with three guests. If I was not 100's of miles from home and due at the wedding reception I would have walked out right then. In addition to the rude, larcenous personnel, the rooms were in poor repair, with rusty water and broken lights. And, the coffee machine turned out some lightly tinted brown water in lieu of coffee.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank ljw_k

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 22 August 2010

We had been on vacation upstate in the Adriondacks for a week and needed a place to crash for the night on the drive home. We got off at exit 18 on I 87 because I knew there were good dining options in the area (try Mexicali blue if you love burritos). The Rodeway Inn was cheap, clean, quick and exactly what we expected. A 3 or 4 star hotel this is not. However if you are checking in at night, sleeping and leaving the next day then this place will do the job. It is basically like a motel with indoor corridors. The shower/bathroom was fine. The remote for the TV didn't work, I am sure I could have gotten a new one but I was going to bed anyways. The breakfast is a few doughnuts and a coffee machine. They said there was wi-fi but I didn't turn the laptop on to use it. Essentially this is the least expensive of a few hotels right off of I 87 at Exit 18. Skip the continental breakfast and head to the College Diner down the road instead.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cmg2101
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 21 August 2010

We pulled off the highway after a long drive looking for a comfortable place to take a shower and sleep in a bed as well as a safe place to leave our kayaks. The Rodeway quoted us the cheapest price in town--$70 for a king. The room was huge; it included a bed, TV, fold-out couch, desk and a good-sized fridge. The shower was decent--there was certainly ample hot water--and the bed was a bit lumpy but very big. The remote for the TV and the clock radio were both broken. We were right near the soda machine so we had our sleep disturbed pretty early when they came to refill. We didn't know they had breakfast, but it wasn't very much--a coffee machine and some donut/muffin things. It was a fine, average place to stay.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Manasquan, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 August 2010

Well, our room was adequate, clean (as opposed to some other reviewers) and as the website advertised. The vending machines were almost empty and there was garbage piled up outside the entryway with flies buzzing about. That was the good part. The worst was the front desk stafff. I arrived at 1:50 after a 2+ hour drive with 3 young children and was told "check in isn't until 2". That was Indian front desk girl on Friday. The Saturday woman was even worse. My wife had a question for her (after a 20 min. wait with no one at the front desk) and she quippd back at her with a nasty tone. Replying"I can sleep if I choose to", this at 8:45 AM. The question was regarding their free breakfast. Which was coffee, no drinks for kids, doughnuts, muffins and bagels. However with the flies in the hotel, I wouldn't eat a thing. So, save yourself the trouble, check into a different hotel and patronize one the diners in the area.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these New Paltz hotels

Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed 27 April 2010

This was the worst hotel I have ever been in. Not only was the hotel filthy and falling apart the manager was so nasty and rude. I hope everyone who reads these reviews take heed to what is being said. Stay away from this dump!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
NJ
Reviewed 23 March 2010

If you are on a last minute trip, and are allowed to a view room (like I was), make sure to check vending machines, check sink and shower water too. (Wish I had). Stayed here when we visited the mountains. Last minute trip. We stopped in to the Super 8 which was nice and clean for same price but they did not have a room with a view of parking spot (we needed this to keep an eye on our bike). Went to Rodeway Inn. The gentleman at the front desk was very nice. He told me the price was $90 per night and showed me a room with King Size bed, frig, micro and was very clean. I asked if he had same room with view of parking. He said yes. So I paid up. Room he gave us had 2 double beds no frig or micro. It was clean. I called front desk, he said if I wanted King Room it would be $10 more. Ridiculous. So we stayed put. No remote for TV. Call front desk, he said look around for it. Can't be found. No offer to give us another room or get us a remote. Go to dinner in New Paltz. Return to room around 10 pm, go to brush teeth. Water in bathroom sink smells very irony. Go to vending machine to buy bottled water. The machine is broke. Call front desk. Tells us to go to gas staion to buy water. No offer to get us bottled water or check vending machine etc. Go to take shower next morning and water is brown then black then clear but still same irony smell. Packed our stuff and left. Will not stay again. You can find a better place, better rates. .

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
DC
Reviewed 1 November 2009

I preface this review with stating that the young lady at the front desk was, for the most part, polite. Also, should this review serves its purpose in detracting potential guests from staying here for the following reasons below then I apologize to the maid staff who may be affected by any loss in business to this particular Rodeway Inns and Suites in New Paltz, NY.

After checking in at approximately 1:50 PM and paying approximately $109 for a room with two double beds, we entered the room (#135) and were completely disgusted by the conditions. There was obvious and extensive water damage and mold growth at the junction of the ceiling and bedroom wall, just above the beds. This is completely unsanitary, unsatisfactory and entirely unhealthy, particularly given that one of the guests was a pregnant woman. Additionally, the water flowing from both the bathroom faucet and shower was dark brown, likely a result of the source being well water, but nonetheless a health hazard. My first visit to the front office resulted in the young lady at the desk suggesting that I run the water for a few minutes. Upon return to the room, it took more than 8 minutes of the water running for some dissipation of the brown color.

Deciding that this was not a healthy place to stay (and also considering the rate of $109 given the "quality" of the room conditions), we decided to check out after only 35 - 40 min. During my second visit to the office, the young lady at the front desk told me I would still be charged for the night's stay even though I cited that the room was unhealthy/unsanitary and no one should pay to stay there – nor be allowed to stay in such a room. I then asked to speak with the manager. She was told beforehand to "deal with the brown water guy" herself. I asked her to call him down from his office/home upstairs. She obliged and called. He repeated to her on the phone for her, again, "to deal with that guy." I then asked to go to his office and was told she couldn't allow that. I asked her then to request his presence downstairs again; she agreed and called. He answered and then finally came downstairs.

In a quite disrespectful tone, the manager, Minah Patel, told me that I was not going to get my money back. I repeated to him that I had been there for less than one hour after my ~2:00 PM check-in and the majority of hotels refund customers' money for the very reason I cited (unsanitary conditions) within two hours of hotel check-in. He said "I do not care. That is not our policy." I informed him that one of the guests was to be a pregnant woman and the fungi growing on the ceiling is not healthy. He repeated, yet again in a disrespectful tone, that I would not be getting my money back. I then told him that I would be canceling this transaction with my credit card company and he, in essence, sarcastically wished me luck as that would not happen because the transaction already took place with my credit card upon checking in.

I subsequently checked out and found a room at another hotel 10 miles north in Kingston.

At the moment, this led me to the impression that the manager had encountered or experienced a complaint or issue of this nature before. Just now (a few days after my visit to Rodeway) I inquired with the New York Better Business Bureau [www.newyork.bbb.org or [--]] where I learned that they've have at least 4 complaints in the last 3 years officially filed with them against this one particular Rodeway in New Paltz, NY.

Also, I came to learn from speaking the Ulster County (NY) Health Department [http://www.co.ulster.ny.us/resources/health.html or [--]] that there have been multiple complaints regarding the conditions of this hotel, most notably the color of their water. There have also been several requests by the Health Dept. for Rodeway to resolve their water source problems for some time now and, clearly, no effective action has been taken.

Needless to say, do not stay at this place. If you have a few extra dollars (only $30 more in this case), we found reasonable accommodations just one exit (~10 miles) north in Kingston.

Best of luck with your travels.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Days Inn Poughkeepsie
Days Inn Poughkeepsie
#7 of 13 in Poughkeepsie
Americas Best Value Inn - New Paltz

Been to Rodeway Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!