“This isn't downtown JA, it's New Paltz, NY, and we loved it!”

Jamaica Choice Caribbean Cuisine
Ranked #57 of 101 Restaurants in New Paltz
Cuisines: Caribbean
Description: Jamaica Choice Caribbean Cuisine is a locally-owned and operated restaurant that offers authentic and delicious Jamaican food.
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

Was in the area Apple picking, and found this place through tripadvisor. I'm pretty good at filtering bad reviews, so don't believe the negative ones. I'm American, and my wife's side is Costa Rican. The food here was delicious. My wife's father had the jerk chicken, rice & peas (beans), plantains and cleaned his plate. My wife had the Coconut chicken, rice & peas (beans), plantains, and cleaned her plate. I had the Jerk ribs, dumplings, and cabbage, and clean my plate also. The Jerk had excellent spice to it, and my cabbage was to die for. My daughter found her happy place in a Jamaican beef pie.
The service was friendly and fast. You definitely step into a small part of Jamaica hidden in the Hudson Valley town of New Paltz when you walk through the doors to this place. The place was very clean, and worth mentioning. Only thing I didn't get was the dining area layout. I think they inherited the layout from a place that didn't cut it the area. We ate in, and take out looked busy, that is a sign of freshness. Enjoy if you try, we did.

2  Thank VespaJersey
Dalmain G, Owner at Jamaica Choice Caribbean Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2016

Wow! Thanks for the kind words a few years back, friend. It's such a compliment that we could transport you to Jamaica for a while. Really hope you'll come see us again soon!

Until then,
Rose - VP

Reviewed 27 April 2013

I agree that sometimes the service can be a little slow but I think the food is very good - the place is always very clean and the people very friendly

Reviewed 18 April 2013

Excellent Jerk pork and creole chicken. Nice choice of sides too! Very clean and nice friendly service .

Reviewed 3 April 2013

I eat at Jamaican Choice fairly often and these reviews really surprise me. It's not high gourmet, but if you are a frequenter of Jamaican restaurants, you certainly shouldn't be disappointed. the jerk chicken is always juicy and well-flavored, and the sides are good... Don't let these 1-stars scare you away.

Reviewed 11 August 2012

Jamaican restaurants are often primarily steam table food plus jerked meats, so I don't expect made to order haute cuisine. But this place was the bottom of the barrel. Had "coconut chicken" entree. Well, at least the fried plaintain was OK. The chicken? It appeared to have been a Restaurant Depot frozen chicken cutlet that was cooked several days ago, then breaded and fried again. It was COMPLETELY dried out, brown to the core, and had the texture of shoe leather. Had one bite and left the rest. The callaloo was very bitter and unseasoned.

The staff was disinterested. Each table had a table of Pickapeppa sauce, but a few had Jamaica's Choice crushed red pepper sauce (hotter). But they were essentially empty. There was a wall of full bottles for sale. I let the woman at the counter know that the bottle at my table was empty. Her response: "that's all there is."