“Beloved landmark still packs 'em in”
Review of P & G's

P & G's
Ranked #4 of 100 Restaurants in New Paltz
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My parents had their first date here. My sister and her husband had their first kiss here. Any visit to New Paltz calls for a visit to P&Gs, but as I get older, it's lunch I enjoy there most rather than the nightly bar scene. My biggest complaint continues to be that the "hard roll" the menu promises is actually a soft kaiser roll. Excellent french onion soup and chili, good varied menu. The windowed area in the back is especially nice at lunch time. If you're not from New Paltz, went to college there, or are otherwise unaffiliated with the town, you might not think much of the place. The food is decent and filling but don't expect a foodie paradise--that's not what they're selling. Wait staff is pleasant and accommodating.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stopped for lunch and, I guess, to see how the place had changed since the last time we were here 10 years ago. This was one of our go to places when we were in college here in the 70's. I would say it has held up pretty well. It expanded a bit in the back but the food was really good and the selection was better than back in the good old days. The prices were pretty good too. Lunch for two with a couple of drinks and it was still under $40.
My one complaint was that we tried to come back for dinner and forget it. It is still a great drinking spot for the college kids but way too loud to eat in and talk with our nephew and his girlfriend. Some things never change and this was one too.

1  Thank librarian81
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I went here to celebrate a friend's birthday. It was a busy Friday night and this place was a madhouse. Definitely not the place to go if you are looking for good food and a peaceful ambiance. It is too busy, loud, and drunk. Yes, the whole place is basically drunk. I definitely don't plan on going back unless it is for lunch. But knowing this town, they will still all be drunk. But the food was alright, nothing special. Not really memorable. I got a burger, I think. And it was fine. I remember the bill being pretty expensive all together for four. Definitely reevaluate where you want to eat dinner and when. Go earlier or don't go unless you're there for the bar crowd.

1  Thank GlorifiedHijinx
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Great little restaurant. We were seated right away--we had gone on a Sat at 5 pm. Menu has some great stuff on it. The prices are VERY reasonable and the amount of food you get is just right.
We tried the new item--Mack Truck Burger. It was a grilled cheese with a burger and mac and cheese on it!! AWESOME!! It was not sloppy at all. Burger was cooked just the way i like it--med rare. Sweet potatoes were great.
HIghly recommend this place.

Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Great place for a burger and the homemade Mac and cheese was a home run. Great beer selection will be back