Moondance Ridge..the name evokes romantic images of dark tree covered mountains and star filled skies, a haven where civilization melts away to be replaced by quiet solitude. For a city dweller like myself this is the ideal escape for a night, a few days or a long weekend. Moondance Ridge..I could hardly wait to get there. The b&b is situated in the artsy college town of New Paltz, a place of meandering hilly narrow streets where you can expect to find coffee houses, old fashioned bookstores and kitschy record and bric brac shops. It is a town full of history, no more apparent than on historic Huguenot Street.
Once you get off the interstate it is all mountains, farms and vineyards – and in the midst of this, there is Moondance Ridge, a haven for the weary traveler. We pulled into the meandering driveway to be greeted by our hostess and her lovely little pugs. Our room was on the first floor, Starry Night. Incredibly clean, it was a blend of nostalgia and modern, with a large canopy bed framed in white chiffon. The sitting area boasted an electric fireplace and mini fridge, with the doorway leading out to a private porch from which we were able to view hummingbirds and bunnies on the lawn. The bathroom is large and squeaky clean with a one person Jacuzzi/shower combo. There was a warm and cozy feeling to the space, and by cozy I mean comfortable, not small.
The kitchen area has a Keurig machine that permits you the luxury of having coffee or tea 24/7. There are cookies when you return in the evening and locally grown apples or granola bars if you are more health minded. The space is two stories high and surrounded by the balcony of the second floor rooms. The sitting area is made to look like a lodge with a warm fireplace and book lined walls. The sliding glass doors take you out into nature, which is exactly where you want to be.
We were only there for a short visit, but took advantage of the extensive hospitality they have to offer. Nighttime was amazing, sitting on our porch and drinking locally produced pumpkin wine as we stared in amazement at the dome of stars, a patchwork quilt of twinkling lights that were breathtaking.
If you are looking for a great b&b in upstate NY, look no further…Moondance Ridge is waiting for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Five luxury suites feature private bathrooms with whirlpool tubs, electric fireplaces, cable TV and WIFI. Enjoy creative and healthy breakfasts in the dining room overlooking our certified backyard wildlife habitat. Stroll around our 3 acres of our nature preserve and gardens, including a labyrinth overlooking the Shawangunk Mountains. We're a mile from the heart of the village of New Paltz, with charming shops and wonderful restaurants that cater to a variety of dining preferences. Just minutes from hiking, historic sites and wine trails, you can be on-the-go day and night.. or you can simply settle into the cozy comforts of the casual luxury that you'll find at the Moondance Ridge B&B. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Moondance Ridge Hotel New Paltz
- Moondance Ridge Bed And Breakfast
- Moondance Ridge Bed & Breakfast New York/New Paltz