“Rape City”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Rape City”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Stayed at this hotel Saturday June 16th into the 17th; from check in to check out the hotel was a nightmare! Finding the front desk is a feat in its own. You have to decipher the difference between the entrance of her home (attached to the hotel) and the actual hotel. After finally finding the front desk the woman was on the telephone offering an hourly rate for the hotel; later found out that a seedy strip club is located right next door and many of the "dancers" stay in this hotel. After arguing with the woman about various policies and such we finally got a dirty room key envelope that looked like it had been used 14 times over.
After keying our room (208) I literally had to slam my body into the door to open it. It smelled like dirty, moldy towels...please take a peak at the photos I am attaching of our 'lovely' room. We decided that the lovely pool we saw online would be an oasis from our disgusting room so we put on our suits and headed across the parking lot. A topless woman was swimming along with the owners children who live there and probably use the pool as their playground. As we approached, the smell of fertilizer and bad chlorine was overwhelming. I run a pool facility and when you can smell the chlorine at that level it means that the sanitizer in the chlorine has been used up. Needless to say we did NOT get in that water however, the pool deck area had a nice view of the strip club! (EW!)
We brought blankets in from our car and slept on top of the bed for fear of fleas or some sort of skin disease that we would most certainly obtain by sleeping under the sheets. The next morning while packing up my car I went to get back into my room and the room key was dead. I went to the front desk to fix it and was greeted by a sign saying "back in 60 mins". For the next hour I sat by my car waiting for the owner to come back. The housekeepers refused to help me; my dress for the wedding I was attending was left in there and it was the last thing I needed before heading off to our next destination. I could not believe that the owner would leave her facility completely unattended for an HOUR! When she finally arrived with her entire family and groceries in tow she didnt even acknowledge that I was waiting and took her sweet time getting me new keys. She tried taking my key card envelope, probably so she could use it again but I told her I was sending it to corporate. She muttered something in another language as I walked out; rude, NASTY woman.
BEWARE!! You may be solicited in this parking lot. I hope this hotel gets shut down as soon as possible
DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank Yolo28

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 November 2011

We felt completely ripped off. We had a coupon for $49.99 but upon arrival were told that they only have a "very few" rooms at that price and were charged $89.99. The room was no where near worth the price. The bathroom was newly renovated but there was no hair dryer and the rest of the room smelled like a dirty toilet. In fact, the room was bare bones...not even a clock radio. We don't mind paying but this was way overpriced.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank CS192

Travellers are raving about these New Paltz hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 October 2011

If this hotel was in the $60 to $80 range I would not give it such a bad review, I wouldn't give it a great one either. There was a huge stain on the carpet. The TV had to be from the 80's. The toilet felt like it was about to come out of the wall. Unfortunately you don't have much of a choice when it comes to the New Paltz area. All the hotels are equally overpriced and from what I understand they are in worse shape than this hotel. The next time I go to New Paltz I think I am going to try one of the bed and breakfast places. The one positive thing about this hotel is good water pressure and hot water for the shower.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank cprops
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 29 September 2011

There were FLEAS in the bed.
The rooms are dirty and tiny.
The staff is rude and may or may not honor your booked rate.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank J B
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Based on the reviews here I was expecting much less on this motel but I was pleasantly surprised with the very clean bathroom. It had basic toiletries and lots of towels. The fridge and microwave were ok. I was hoping there was a coffee maker and blow dryer but it's ok since I don't use a blow dryer anyway. The beds were comfy and sheets were clean. No bed bugs so far! We didn't hear outside noises either. A little pricey for what it is but I guess that is what I get for booking at the last minute. The outside hall may need updating as there are chips on the concrete and steps. Overall, this is a pleasant surprise fOr me and my family.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Beachfanbx
Tarrytown, NY
Reviewed 15 July 2011

The room was in bad shape. The bathroom was looked like they didn't finish construction on it with missing tiles and strange electrical wiring. We complained and wanted another room but the front desk just shrugged it off. I was appalled. The room is big but the finishings are bad and dreary. They do have parking if you are driving to the gunks. They are about 20- 25 minutes drive to the Gunks.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MadAboutTheWold
Albany, New York
Reviewed 30 May 2011

My wife and I spent a night here at the end of May 2011. It was perfectly fine! The bed was clean and well-made. The bathroom was very clean, and the shower was obviously new. Very good TV channel selection. It even had a pool that was open late. Really nothing to complain about. I suppose if you're looking for luxury, it's not the place for you. But for $80/night, you can't beat it!

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking room.