“Disgusting Place Next to a Strip Joint!”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is by far the worst place I have ever seen. The entire place is in total disrepair. Smelly, worn, frayed, carpet on the outside stairs, complete safety hazard. Front desk rude! We were so disgusted by the outside that we asked to see a room before we signed in. The room was in as much disrepair as the outside. We politely asked to cancel our reservation as we had no intention of staying in such an awfull place not least of which it was situated right next door to a strip club. The owners refused to cancel our reservation, charged our credit card and it took over 3 hours on the phone with corporate headquarters, many threats of a law suit, before corporate agreed to refund our money. DO NOT STAY AT THIS ECONLODGE IT IS A DISGRACE

Room Tip: There are no good rooms
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Claire D

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We wanted a good reasonably place to stay while we were in New Paltz and that's what the Econo Lodge was. It had a nice breakfast with juice, coffee, cereal, bagels and pastries and a nice little pool that was big enough to do laps in. The people at the desk were very nice and friendly too. I even liked the fact that it was just near the woods so you could hear the animals there chirping at night (something we city people don't normally here). Downtown New Paltz was a quick and easy drive away and it was also easy to get to other towns in the area like Kingston from there. It wasn't fancy but that's not what we wanted to expected- I think the other people who reviewed this place recently were too harsh and expected too much. If you want to spend hundreds of dollars a night for a fancy place, go waste your money at Mohonk Mountain Lodge. Otherwise, this is a good, convenient place to stay in the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jgrossnas
Reviewed 18 April 2014

This place is in dire need of cleanup and upgrading, but it's honestly just fine for a night. Most importantly, the bathroom was clean! Bed was ok, and there was no shortage of heat for the chilly night we had.The minifridge and microwave were good for convenience. Carpet could use a good shampoo, but that's what flip-flops are for! I didn't partake in their breakfast but I don't think we were missing much.

I will say that their nightly fee is a bit steep for what you get, but it is the cheapest you'll find in the area (at par with Super 8)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Place is overpriced! My night here was so unconfortable, desk,chair,carpet were dirty. The room had a share bathroom with the neighbor,bed very unconfortable and on top i could hear the neighbor snorring, disapointed! I will not and certainly not return

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank est559
econo530, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

when we rented you the room there was some miscommunication the whole room was yours both side. you did not share the room with anyone. Your room was one of our family/group rooms. so if you were part of a group and two couples it would work like this, on one side one couple would stay and on the other side the other couple would sleep so you pay for one room but its like you get two. sorry for the miscommunication we do wish that you come back and stay with us.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Do Not Stay At This Place!!. People who work here and run this place Lie!! Do Not Attempt To Book A Reservation Because They Don't Cancel And Will Charge Your Credit Card!! My husband called way in advance ( a week in advance) and the nasty woman said we don't have a reservation. It turned out our name was spelled incorrectly and the woman refuses to give us a refund. It is a scam!! My husband called to cancel and the woman originally said we don't have a reservation because she had us under another name. The place is run by disgusting people who refuse to honor the cancellation agreement!! They are Liars!! We can't even give this place a proper rating because we cancelled well in advance and they refuse to refund our credit card. Stay Away!

Room Tip: Don't even book a reservation Here!! If You Change Your Mind In Advance About Staying There Th...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank David s
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We stayed here 1 night in August 2013. Room was fine. And the pool was nice.
Breakfast was decent. I don't know what the other people are complaining about.
It is a basic hotel -- what do you want? Everything was just what you could
hope for.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank kbnj
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Almost gave this place a 2 star based on the Value vs Price. For what you get, this is priced about 3 times higher than the value merits. Way overpriced. For what I paid, including the pet fee, the exotic dancers from next door should have been coming over to do a private show.

Yes, breakfast was included, but no waffle maker, no fruit, so so juice, and only 2 cereal selections. For what was paid for a room, this was seriously lacking. Should have at least had raisin bran. Was only fruit loops or rice crispies. And a few muffins for selection. OJ ish type drink and milk, while sitting in the hotel lobby. No real breakfast area. Maybe for $40 a night that would have been ok. But not for what is charged!

That being said, was a decent hotel. The room was spacious enough. Stayed here to race BMX at New Paltz. The room had carpeting which was nice. The refrigerator was decent sized for storing my drinks and some left overs. Microwave was there, but didn't use it. Plenty of lighting. Bathroom was ok. All in all, a decent room. I did bring my own pillows, which I thought did help. Did have a thermostat in the room, but I don't think it worked. AC was either on or off. Was able to sleep. However, did hear guests at 6 a.m. saying ready freddy? Who gets up that early? Was totally annoying.

There is a big step up about a foot high to get into the room though. If you are not paying attention when going out the door, you could fall. Would have been nice to have been able to park in front of the door, but was too crowded. They did have plenty of parking on the side though.

Front desk people were friendly.

Since I had been in the area before, I knew I DID NOT want to eat at the nearby College Diner as it was not very good and service was awful. The clerk said drive toward Main street and would see other options. Found Genesis Diner just up the road on the right. Was a great place. Open till midnight I think on Saturday. Service was exceptional from the host/manager and the waitress. Even the busboy offered water. Prices seemed reasonable for NY and got good value for your money. Had a lot of food options. Would highly recommend the restaurant.

A plus for the hotel was the Econolodge was pet friendly :-) One of the main reasons I stayed here. So a decent stay. Would stay here again for the purpose. But would have to close my eyes to the price/value. They could do way better in that regard.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 112 on the ground floor with 2 double beds. Was pricey for what you get. But decent...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
#1 of 1 in Gardiner
Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie
Best Western Plus The Inn & Suites At The Falls
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!