“Great Weekend at Wonderful Hotel”

and 1 more site!
Mohonk Mountain House
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We were here the weekend of 2/10 - 2/12/2012 for the chocolate theme weekend. We had gabled room on the sixth floor with a great view of the lake. This was the first time that I had ever slept in a gabled room (very unique ceiling line). The check-in was handled smoothly and our luggage was brought right up to the room.

The room was in excellent condition. Everything worked and it was extremely clean. The first night at bedtime, we were greeted by a stuffed owl on the bed. My wife loved it.

The meals were gourmet quality. We have been on 20 cruises and have yet to see cuisine that matches what is served at Mohonk. Their dining room service is very professional. Dinner was sit down with a chocolate dessert buffet. Breakfast and Lunch buffet with the emphasis being on chocolate. The chocolate pancakes and french toast were outstanding.

We participated in a pool aerobics session which was very enjoyable.

The evening's entertainment the first night was a tiramisu preparation demo. Anthony one of the sous chefs did an marvelous job. The tiramisu was to die for.

The second night featured a band "The Chain Gang". They focus on songs from the 50s and 60s. We thoroughly enjoyed that and stayed for the entire evening.

Saturday morning we had a light snowfall which give the resort a very Currier and Ives type appearance.

Two more demos were done which involved creating a chocolate "sundae" (three types of chocolate desserts on a shell) and a chicken mole. Both were very nice.

One wing of the hotel is being renovated, but outside of the morning when the temperature reached 12 degrees, it really had no impact on guest services.

We thoroughly enjoy Mohonk and would recommend it to anyone looking to take a step back to another era of hotel elegance.

Room Tip: One side faces the countryside and the other one faces the lake. Most PR photos are taken over the...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,083)

Reviewed 23 February 2012

The mohonk mountain house is an absolute gem in New York!
The rooms are absolutely beautiful and clean.
The 3 meals per day which were included in the price of the stay was absolutely outstanding.
The only drawback is it is alittle pricey.I hope to see a groupon discount soon.

Room Tip: The Tower suite is really designed for a couple only.
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I talk about this resort on my travel blog at http://katrinawoznicki.com/. The property and amenities are wonderful! We took advantage of a midweek family special, although this is by no means a budget hotel or for families traveling on budgets. But the scenery is worth the money and we definitely felt rejuvenated by the jaunt. It's a very family-friendly place, despite the fact there are matches left in every hotel room because each hotel room has its own fireplace. The food is fine--it caters to a common denominator audience--so it tastes good, but there aren't really any culinary surprises. I didn't get a chance to check out the award-winning spa, and the lack of snowfall prevented us from enjoying complimentary snow tubing and cross country skiing. Everyone onsite was extremely friendly and our room was even ready ahead of schedule. Would definitely recommend for families.

Room Tip: Mohonk is about 5 miles from town. If you're traveling with kids and want to save a little money...
2  Thank Kwoz
Reviewed 22 February 2012

This is the best resort in the Hudson valley. It's the real deal. Think The Breakers North

Reviewed 21 February 2012

Drove up wanting to check out hotel to maybe make a reservation for my anniversary this summer. The girl at the gate would not let us in. She was rude and nasty. I don't think I would ever stay here. Bad Karma

Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank Terri F
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We arrived on Thursday,just before the start of Presidents weekend. With our reservation in place- we were greeted at the gate and sent on to the resort (I appreciated the privacy factor for guests). As we arrived, our bags were handled quickly and the tip declined, reminding me it was "already taken care of for the stay". This became the moment I realized we were "all-included" with meals and activities. I sincere;ly enjoyed getting up from the table when ready and leaving to enjoy the activities. We hiked, went to the green house, the barn, sky top, went on the house tour, and looked for the ice skating rink. The spa was excellent, and I would recommend the "Indigo" treatment massage-wonderful !!
We will be returning with other members of our family.

Room Tip: We had a view of the lake and no fireplace due to allergies-very nice updated room with a balcony.
1  Thank Corinne B
Reviewed 15 February 2012

By far - this is my favorite place to visit - period! I have been visiting Mohonk since I was a little girl and every time I go back, I am reminded why I love it so much.
My boyfriend and I just came back from a 2 night stay (not nearly long enough) and we had a wonderful time.
When we arrived, someone helped unload our bags and we checked in. We could not get into our room until 4 PM (check in time) but we left our phone number with the front desk and they called when our room was ready. While we were waiting, we went on a hike, admired the picturesque grounds and then sat by the huge fire in the great room and read. Around 2:30, our room was ready and we went up to our (upgraded) room to find our luggage had been brought up, coats and shoes were put away in the closet and the room was perfect!
By 4 PM tea time, we already had a full day and were ready to enjoy our next few days of heaven.
The dinners were great and the wine list good. This is the type of place you can honestly unwind - there is free wi-fi, but no TVs in the rooms; so you are forced to unplug, somewhat. If you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the daily grind in a pristine setting to spend quality time with family, the hotel is staffed with happy staff and friendly guests.

It is so worth the expense!

Room Tip: Request a lake side room on a high floor and a balcony. If you can swing it, get a fireplace in the...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 10 in Kingston
New Paltz Hostel
New Paltz Hostel
#1 of 2 in New Paltz

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!