We took a last minute anniversary trip here, since it was a simple 2 hour drive. It certainly was worth the effort with just a couple of questions. The facility and location are simply beautiful. The hotel truly has a grand feeling of traveling back in time. The buildings and grounds are easily the highlight of the experience along with the spa. The price is very high, but, in retrospect, I would have chosen a less expensive room, simply because you are not there much. We only stayed one night, but arrived early in the morning, checked our luggage, did a fitness class, played the 9 hole golf course (complementary except $10 for the cart during the week), had a light lunch and had one of the best massages we have ever had! This also allowed us to enjoy the spa facilities, including whirlpool for the afternoon.
Dinner brought some questions. There was a group meeting there during our stay and apparently they booked the main dining room. It didn't seem like that large a group, so the rest of the guests were relegated to the secondary dining room. (not nearly as nice). Did sort of put a damper on our anniversary dinner. Also, they require a jacket for men and for that kind of expectation, the service was only fair at best. Our waiter forgot items and the food was fairly slow and, while good, wasn't great. It seems as if the private party could have used the second dining room instead of the rest of the guests. They missed the mark slightly with dinner, but scored well on both breakfast and lunch. They were both buffets, but the staff seemed more comfortable with that. Both were excellent! Desserts at lunch were amazing, especially considering it was a buffet.
We found all the service, except as noted above for dinner, was superior. The front desk, guest services, parking attendants and spa and fitness center staff were quite friendly and helpful.
Overall, one of the best stays we have had. My suggestion would be book a less expensive room, arrive early, pack as much in as possible and soak in the surroundings. Quite a place!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A hotel, built in the 1860's and filled with charm...ideal for families in summer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Traveltool, S.L.U. so you can book your Mohonk Mountain House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mohonk House
- Mohonk Mountain Hotel
- Mohonk New Paltz
- Mohawk Mountain House
- Mohonk Mountain House New Paltz Ny
- Mohonk Mountain House New Paltz New York
- Mohonk Mountain New Paltz
- New Paltz Mohonk Mountain House Resort
- Mohonk Hotel New York
- Mohonk Mountain House New York/New Paltz