Upon arrival, there should be a booklet handed to each guest entitled "Secrets of the Mohonk Mountain House," because as my three days unfolded there I discovered more and more magical things that I wish they had told me early on because I found them by sheer accident!
Oh sure, I realize that finding these little gems make the stay there all the more enchanting, but geez, I could have missed them! Here's a hint at one: On Day 2 at Mohonk I noticed there were a couple of interesting rooms on what would be the 7th floor, yet the elevators only go to 6. So I checked it out ...
For the rest, you'll just have to find out for yourself! I don't want to spoil your adventure! hahaha (Is that cruel of me?)
For a rating, I feel that 4 stars is about right. It has so many positives, all of which have been exhaustively discussed. Like the dining -- I thought it was really excellent -- and the activities, of which there were enough to keep you very occupied. But there were some little highlights, as well, that didn't get a lot of attention. For instance, the bed and pillows were very comfortable. The Barn Museum was a surprise "must see." The horse-drawn carriage through the woods is remarkable. The amazing attention to minor details even in the most remote areas of the hiking trails was pleasantly surprising. And, for once in a hotel, the air conditioning was almost TOO good. Who ever says that? Well, I'm saying it.
Sure, it draws a lot of elderly people, and I read some complaints about that. But c'mon,these are the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. Every one of them. And they loved being there. So what's the problem?
My wife and I were there on a summer weekend in early August, and it was pretty busy. Lots of energetic kids out of school. So I would say go there in mid June or September, during the week. Kid problem solved.
Final word? Go there for the large amounts of good food and the very exhilarating hiking/rock scramble. That was almost scary. But a good scary.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A hotel, built in the 1860's and filled with charm...ideal for families in summer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Traveltool, S.L.U. so you can book your Mohonk Mountain House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mohonk House
- Mohonk Mountain Hotel
- Mohonk New Paltz
- Mohawk Mountain House
- Mohonk Mountain House New Paltz Ny
- Mohonk Mountain House New Paltz New York
- Mohonk Mountain New Paltz
- New Paltz Mohonk Mountain House Resort
- Mohonk Hotel New York
- Mohonk Mountain House New York/New Paltz