“A lot to discover here ...”

Mohonk Mountain House
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
New York City, New York
“A lot to discover here ...”
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Upon arrival, there should be a booklet handed to each guest entitled "Secrets of the Mohonk Mountain House," because as my three days unfolded there I discovered more and more magical things that I wish they had told me early on because I found them by sheer accident!

Oh sure, I realize that finding these little gems make the stay there all the more enchanting, but geez, I could have missed them! Here's a hint at one: On Day 2 at Mohonk I noticed there were a couple of interesting rooms on what would be the 7th floor, yet the elevators only go to 6. So I checked it out ...

For the rest, you'll just have to find out for yourself! I don't want to spoil your adventure! hahaha (Is that cruel of me?)

For a rating, I feel that 4 stars is about right. It has so many positives, all of which have been exhaustively discussed. Like the dining -- I thought it was really excellent -- and the activities, of which there were enough to keep you very occupied. But there were some little highlights, as well, that didn't get a lot of attention. For instance, the bed and pillows were very comfortable. The Barn Museum was a surprise "must see." The horse-drawn carriage through the woods is remarkable. The amazing attention to minor details even in the most remote areas of the hiking trails was pleasantly surprising. And, for once in a hotel, the air conditioning was almost TOO good. Who ever says that? Well, I'm saying it.

Sure, it draws a lot of elderly people, and I read some complaints about that. But c'mon,these are the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. Every one of them. And they loved being there. So what's the problem?

My wife and I were there on a summer weekend in early August, and it was pretty busy. Lots of energetic kids out of school. So I would say go there in mid June or September, during the week. Kid problem solved.

Final word? Go there for the large amounts of good food and the very exhilarating hiking/rock scramble. That was almost scary. But a good scary.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor, facing the lake.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (588)
  • Korean first
New York, NY
Reviewed 5 August 2012

It cost over 750 per night for my husband and I and my 7 yo child to stay here during midweek, but we had a wonderful time at this truly magnificently beautiful and magical place. We especially enjoyed the hikes with Michael and the other naturalists, the rock scrambles ( 7 yo able to do with adult assistance), along eagle cliff, to sky top, and to the lily pond (like being in a Monet painting). The ironsmithing demonstration at the barn and the children's garden were also very interesting for my child, and she really enjoyed the one afternoon she spent at their kids club. All the evening programs for the Festival of the Arts during our week (July 30-Aug 3) were outstanding family entertainment. The food is varied and delicious considering the volume that needs to be prepared. I would definitely come here again but not every year as it is just so expensive

Room Tip: We stayed in a Victorian room with a mountain view, and it had lovely woodwork details and was rec...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank worldcollege
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed 3 August 2012

VEry historic and cool hotel. Not that far from NYC, but definitely a beautiful mountain spot. Great romantic getaway with boats, and the property is great for walking trails, and all outdoor activites.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank JeffLowney
Toronto
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Just returned from a unbelievable weekend. Very attentive staff. One of a kind place and location. Hope to come back soon. We had two spectacular rooms overlooking the lake. It was raining but still many activities to do.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank isame
Catskill, New York
Reviewed 27 July 2012

My husband and I honeymooned here and return almost every year for a night's stay. I can't say enough about the magic of this place. It IS magical. It is unique. It is a treasure.

Walking into the Mohonk House lobby is like stepping back in time to about 1900. Everything about this resort evokes a bygone era of gentility and romance. The architecture, hallways, rooms, decor, public areas are authentic late nineteenth, early twentieth century. The buildings are beautifully appointed and as a guest, you will be pampered the entire time. It is a charming place with activities that you do not normally encounter in modern hotels. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are included in the price of your room and these are all wonderfully prepared and presented in a beautiful dining room, with gorgeous views Also included is an elegant and well presented afternoon tea service offering a wide variety of teas.

While you are there, you may want to inquire about the history of the Mohonk Mountain House. The hotel library has a lot of information on how, when, and by whom the hotel was built, expanded and managed during the last 150 or so years. The hotel shop also has many tastefully chosen souvenirs for sale.

Many rooms have terraces with spectacular mountain or lake views. All the rooms we have stayed in are charmingly decorated, comfortable and impeccably clean. However, one has to remember that because it is a 150+ year hotel, room airconditioning is provided through window units. However, these cool very effectively.The staff has always been friendly and eager to please.

Depending on the time of year, the gardens are planted with a profusion of flowers.
In the fall you have the spectacular NY colors and in the winter, Mohonk is like a postcard. The grounds are breathtaking. There are always many scheduled activities to choose from and you are never be bored.

You can stay at the Mohonk house or you can make reservations for dinner only. When you reserve for dinner, you can also attend the afternoon tea and enjoy the grounds. Whether staying or dining only, the Mohonk House is a unique experience not likely to be found in other hotels.

Room Tip: Try to stay in a Victorian room. These are more expensive but are absolutely gorgeous with real wor...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cita D
Yorktown, NY
Reviewed 26 July 2012

My husband and I spent one night at the hotel for our first anniversary. They upgraded us from floor 1 to 4 with a beautiful view of the gardens and lakes. The classic room was newly renovated and spotless. We stayed on a Sunday night which gave us the weekday rate. The weekend rates were insane! My husband and I just wanted a romantic 1 night getaway close to home and the mountain house met that need! We are not hikers or climbers so the 1 night stay was plenty. I think we would have been bored if we stayed longer. The staff was super friendly and accomidating We enjoyed horseback riding on a guided trail and a couples massage at the spa. Both were additional charges. Be aware that there are no tv"s in the rooms. For $25 a night they bring a flat screen in and hook it up in 5 minutes. Also, be aware of your meals. Only 3 are included per night. We had a picnic lunch at the granary the first day we were there. It was just BBQ food and there was a $110 charge on our bill!! We opted not to have lunch the 2nd day in order to do away with the charge. All in all it's a beautiful, romantic setting perfect for celebrating a special event and its only an hour from northern westchester.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Chandd14
Newtown, CT
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Just returned from a 3 day stay. I love the fact that everything is included, even the tips. The food is very good. The staff is very accommodating. The guided hikes and informational walks through the gardens and trails are interesting and informative. You can keep active or relax or a little of both. The views are magnificent.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ellenville
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa
Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!