“A great hideaway from New York”

Mohonk Mountain House
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
London
“A great hideaway from New York”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I had spent a week at the awful Hilton New York for work with my fiancé last year, after which he took me for a long weekend away to Mohonk.
The drive up was lovely and the hotel was a breathtaking change from the fast pace of New York.
The weather was cold, the wood fire was burning, the staff were welcoming . Every afternoon there are fresh cookies and coffee served downstairs.
There are great walks and tracks around the grounds
The food is buffet style for lunch and a la carte for dinner. The food was good, nothing to amazing but definitely good food.
The spa was fantastic. It was unisex and had all amenities one needs from a good spa.
my massage was the perfect balance of deep tissue and relaxing. the hot water spring style poor outside was also great with breathtaking views of the mountains.
There was "dirty Dancing" feel about the whole place and you can see how it was exactly as Baby would have remembered it back in the day.
perfect for both family and couples only holidays.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
  • Korean first
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I was looking for a quick getaway from the city for New Year's Eve, and Mohonk delivered. But you'll pay the price. To stay overnight, room rates are very expensive. This could have been inflated due to the fact that I booked last minute and reserved the last remaining room. But included in an overnight stay is unlimited access to the fitness classes and activities as well as 3 meals per day. Watch out for the 15% gratuity they automatically stamp onto your bill at checkout. It's not baked into the rate, but it does prevent you from having to carry cash or tip each person separately. I'll quickly break down all aspects of the resort with a rating.

Food - Slightly above average. This would have been higher if it hadn't been for the sub-par meal the 2nd night (New Year's Eve). The pasta and fried chicken were blah, and I found a piece of scotch tape in my pasta. That shouldn't happen at this type of resort. Breakfast and brunch are their best meals by far. Buffet style with plenty of options to choose from.

Hospitality - Fantastic. All employees of the resort were extremely nice and courteous. The front desk manager discounted our stay the 2nd night due to the aforementioned food disaster. The dining captain comped us a bottle of wine for the inconvenience. The housekeeping brought us a fridge and wine bottle openers promptly when we requested.

Rooms - Ok, but I didn't have much choice. Definitely ask for a room with a fireplace and with a lakeside view. The whole point of staying there is the view.

Spa - Very nice, but it's a separate fee. If you schedule a service, you can have access to the spa facilities all day. If not, you have to buy day passes. I think this is a bit egregious, it should be included for overnight guests. But the facilities are very nice. The solarium overlooking the mountain is a perfect place to read a book next to the fireplace. Also, the outdoor jacuzzi is a nice tough.

Pool/Fitness Center - Excellent. The classes are offered all day, not crowded, and cover everything from core strengthening to yoga. You sign up 10 minutes in advance and can take as many as you want. The instructors are knowledgeable and give you a good workout. The pool is indoor and olympic size. Few lanes to do laps and an adult swim timeslot per day where no children are allowed.

Scenery - Excellent. The resort from the outside does look like a postcard. This is what you pay for. The surrounding lake and mountains are tranquil. Their is dozens of hiking trails for you to explore on. We saw woodpeckers and stood 5 feet away from deer on our hike. Go to the lighthouse for the best view. You can see the surrounding 6 states on a clear day.

Overall, great experience since it's less than 2 hrs away from the city. But I would suggest going on a week where they are running discounted rates. Their regular rates are overpriced for the average traveler.

Room Tip: Choose lakeside with a fireplace to get the full experience.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ajnaik3
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 2 January 2014

The Mohonk Mountain House could be nice but they charge exorbitant amounts and I don't feel its a good value. The rooms and the common areas are freezing cold. Our room could stand substantial upgrading. The carpet was coming up we could hear literally everything that was going on in our neighbors bathroom. This is not acceptable for the price we paid per night. In addition, the food is mediocre and boring. The kids meal was the same thing every day for lunch and dinner: fries and chicken fingers. Again, I expect more for the price. The service was very good and the location was very scenic.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Briarcliff Manor, New York
Reviewed 1 January 2014

In general the facilities were clean and the staff was plentiful and helpful. But isn't this to be expected as a minimum in the hospitality industry?

So I start my review as a average and try to determine what did the Mohonk Mountain House excel at and where did they fall short. Unfortunately there were more shortcomings than areas of excellence.

A few bullet points to keep this brief:
The main lodge is tired and outdated.
The amenities are nearly non-existant
For a 'green' facility I am surprised they print out daily schedules to try to keep their guests informed
The activities are limited
The food is mediocre - they use a lot of salt. One of the main courses I was looking forward to was 'unavailable' when we sat for a 8 PM dinner!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mbennettbrown
new york, ny
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Under two hours from Manhattan, Mohonk Mt House is a wonderful escape from the city. Whether you like to hike, relax in the spa, read a book lakeside, there's activities for the whole family. The food is very tasty. The hotel is only better since they added air conditioning and upgraded the spa.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Auburn, New York
Reviewed 29 December 2013

My mother, sister, daughter and I spent a wonderful 5 days over Christmas at Mohonk. We enjoyed spa treatments, hikes, ice skating, gingerbread house making and tree ornament workshops, a scavenger hunt, a carol sing, two evening shows with a mentalist and magician, the Christmas morning service, pool, medication class, a bit of shopping in the well-stocked shop and dined in splendor! The beds were very comfortable. Scenery is wonderful from the top of the mountain. What a great tome together.

Room Tip: I have been going to MMH for 30 years and have stayed in various rooms - all are nice.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Westchester, New York
Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

We came here for four days three nights with my family of five and another family of four. Kids ranged in ages from 4 to 10. We had planned on doing winter activities like skating, tubing, and snowshoeing. Unfortunately, we had a weird 70 degree day in December so when we arrived, the skating rink was closed. It was raining so we couldn't go outside. Our room wasn't ready so we swam for a while. The next day, weather was the same. We put the kids in kids camp. They hated it. Our ten year olds were doing circle time with four year olds. Our boys were given a time out (I'm sure they deserved it but they were probably so bored). My friend's four year old was crying and they didn't even try to engage her so we couldn't leave her there.
The next two days got cold but no rain so we finally got to hike! No one could tell us what trails were open. Things were closed even though no ice so everyone was ignoring the closed trail signs. The walks were indeed beautiful. Highlight of the trip. But was it worth $1000 a day?!
Food was really not good at all. Granted, we did the buffet so can't comment on the fancier dining room. Salad bar was horrible. Could barely find things to eat. I did enjoy the omelettes. Our waiter, James Noon, was great! We really appreciated his efforts!
Drinks were not included in the high price tag. Not even water! We had to buy bottled water every night for the kids when they were thirsty.
We did enjoy the mentalist show, the tree trimming and making gingerbread houses.
Pool nice but no hot tub unless you get a spa treatment. I wanted to see the hot tub so I could decide if I wanted to use it and they wouldn't let me see it even though my husband and daughter just had treatments.
All in all, we had fun but we kept thinking how many other places we could be for the price and it just wasn't worth the money.

• Stayed December 2013
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ellenville
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa
Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!