“Beautiful setting and old world charm”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
New York City, New York
“Beautiful setting and old world charm”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

This was our second visit to Mohonk and we were not disappointed. It is a great place to really get away from the hustle and bustle of the big city, despite only being a few hours drive away. The house and the setting are really beautiful and there are plenty of activities to fill the time.

The price is steep given the food is good but not great, and the rooms are comfortable, but small and in need or some sprucing up. Also, they are currently doing some renovations (on weekdays), and you can hear clanging and banging around the house (albeit not in the bedrooms).

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Andrew P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (602)
  • Korean first
Brooklyn
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Went last December and caught some snow which was spectacular. Go for the walks around the grounds in the preserve. You can choose how vigorous a hike you want. Breakfast and lunch are good although dinner a little off - complex menu but large banquet hall. The rooms are amazing though and the fireplaces in the old rooms are a treat. The spa was spacious and nice. Very good service and helpful manager when we had an issue.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bklynwanderer
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 3 March 2014

8 of my girlfriends and I when to the spa on our girls weekend. We did not stay at the hotel. Booking appointments was easy. The spa had wonderful amenities. Everyone loved their services. I had a pregnancy massage that relieved all my pregnancy pains. I just wish i could have taken a nap on the massage table after the massage was over!
Afterwards we had a great lunch in the bar area. Highly recommend the burger & veggie panini sandwich.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank skd45
new york
Reviewed 3 March 2014

For $1000 a night (which includes 3 very good meals for a family of 4) I expect a lot more. The grounds are beautiful but the room is terrible. We were placed in the fifth floor which is pretty much like an attic due to the low ceilings. The rooms were very clean but very small. I got to admit, the beds are very comfortable. The pool is beautiful and there is a lot to do outside on the grounds, but I just expected a lot nicer room. I would not come back here, instead I would go to the crystal lodge which is about $300/night but does NOT include food. the room there are a lot nicer and there is also a lot of stuff to do there.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank meron76
MohonkMountainHouse, Manager at Mohonk Mountain House, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Meron76,

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed many of the things that make Mohonk Mountain House so special – the inclusive rate, the delicious meals, the beautiful grounds, the comfortable beds, the pool and our outdoor activities. And while many of our guests spend most of their time outside of their rooms, we understand that the size of your room may not have suited your needs for a family a four. We have many different room types and we do our best to place guests in the most comfortable accommodations. We apologize that your experience was not ideal for your family.

Katie Martello
Assistant Director of Marketing
Yorktown Heights, New York
Reviewed 1 March 2014

This place holds many memories for me since it was the first trip my husband and I ever took together. Each year we stay at the Mountain House for Valentine's Day and fell in love with the romantic ambiance and the formal dress attire for dinner. This year due to their virus outbreak which did not stop us, nor our pockets from spending close to $1,000 dollars for the night nor will I count the thousands spent on the place from years of going there, we still convinced our friend and his wife to join us and assured them they will want to return for many years, but what an embarrassment it turned out to be for us and the Mountain House. When we arrived we requested a late dinner at 9 pm since we checked in at 5 and asked if we would be able to order from the menu in the formal dining area, which we were told "yes", when we arrived to dinner I guess many people canceled because of the virus and there were only about 8 couples dining. We requested that we did not want to eat from the buffet since our friends deserve to order from the menu...we were told the kitchen was closed at 9 pm by the waiter. I was extremely irritated because regardless of how many guest you accommodate there was no reason for the kitchen to be closed, especially after spending $1,000 for one night and let us not forget that they should have been fully prepared to open back the place without incompetence to satisfy the guest who managed to still be patrons due to snow storms, viruses and many people taking days off of work to show up on a Friday afternoon. Despite all we went to the bar and bought about $100 dollars worth of drinks. My husband puffed his electronic cigarette which he probably did not think would offend anyone since everyone seemed to be minding their own business, however one couple did complain to the trashy loud bartender who said no electronic cigarettes allowed. Without wanting to further offend anyone he stopped and walked out of the room because the uneducated bartenders engaged in a loud uncomfortable conversation about smokers with the guest who complained. As staff of any establishment I know that it is difficult at times to conduct your trashy mouths...I would not expect any different from a bartender, but this place really need to tell their college student unsophisticated workers how to act in front of their guests. In addition, when we returned to our room ready to get into bed we had to call for maintenance due to our loud rattling radiator and wait for another half an hour before this night of hell ended. In all honesty I do not care for this place any longer and would use my money at The Four Seasons as I should have in the first place. I would not waste another penny here after this experience!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Mishell5310
Parsippany, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I've been here many times, but never in the winter. The rooms are old but well furnished and quite clean and everything works as it is supposed to. No TV. Many nooks and crannies for sitting and reading or talking, a decent bar, and two good places to eat: restaurant and general dining room...plus a place for afternoon tea, etc. The gift show also has a basic coffee bar. The Spa is first rate, if a bit over priced. The staff is well trained and very competent. Lots of families and "nieces and their uncles" (if you get my drift). It's easy to tell the "normal" family folks from those who are there to have an affair or pretend that's what they are doing. The quality of the food gets better each time I go there. If you like to hike, ski, skate, swim and that kind of stuff...you won't be disappointed. Even the children who are there are rather sedate and I didn't have to leave a room because of loud or unruly kids. I was there over New Years and the entertainment was not very good.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Bethpage, New York
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This hotel has always been on my radar to stay at, and we were blessed with a gift card to stay here. We got a Victoria Lakeside room with a fireplace. We arrived on a Saturday morning at about 11am and were luckily able to check in at that time.
Unfortunately, I inspected the bed right away and found hairs all over the sheets and bedding. We got the housekeepers to change this right away, but I should have had to do that. For an $800/night room especially.
We had a nice lunch in the great big dining hall overlooking the mountains. Food quality was great. So was dinner & breakfast. Thankful that all was included.
Our fireplace took a few tries for us to get going, but guest services helped us out. The beds were comfy and our deck was great to have.
Also, another bad issue was the shower head. It was pretty awful, and the water was only coming out of the tub faucet. We did address this issue and were helped by the manager for this, so thank you.
The spa was gorgeous. I did a massage and we did a private meditation class.
The grounds were great to walk around in, even in snowy weather. The hotel itself is huge and there is literally a place to sit on every floor and every corner. So many hidden rooms. Very cool. We had a great time overall!
The entertainment for the night was a fun soul band, and i'm glad that was there.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank deekzee
MohonkMountainHouse, Manager at Mohonk Mountain House, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear DeekZee,

Thank you so much for the positive comments throughout your review! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed so many parts of your Mohonk Mountain House experience. We apologize that you had to call for issues in your room, but we’re happy that they were resolved to your satisfaction. We look forward to welcoming you back to our House again soon!

Katie Martello
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa
New Paltz Hostel
New Paltz Hostel
#1 of 2 in New Paltz

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!