“Very scenic on the outside, but in need of an interior overhaul.”

and 1 more site!
Mohonk Mountain House
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Huntington, New York
“Very scenic on the outside, but in need of an interior overhaul.”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Booked a spa getaway with 5 of my friends, they were very accomodating in terms of scheduling our treatments at the same time, but that was the extent of it. As we booked two weeks prior to getting there, we were unable to secure lodging in the hotel. We were unable to secure reservations at the restaurant either. There was a big difference in the way "day guests" are treated. The hotel offered a number of seminars that as day guest we were unable to attend. They did offer programs that you pay for; we wanted to attend the chocolate and wine tasting experience, but were closed out of that as well. When we tried to register at the desk, the clerk was unable to connect us with the right person, we were asked to leave a cell number and told someone would call back... I'm still waiting for the phone call. Day guests cannot use the indoor pool unless they pay an additional fee of $25.00.

The outside grounds are truly spectacular, but the inside of the manor is need of some updating. The carpets were filthy and there were very few signs indicating where anything was. The actual spa has been modernized, however everything is small in scale. There were only three showers and people were lined up outside the stalls to use them. The rows of lockers are so close together that you can elbow the person next to you if you are not careful. The so called "mineral bath" is a small jacuzzi tub that fits ten people at most. The pre-treatment waiting area is an electronic free zone. A lady nearby was asked to put her laptop back in her room, but conducting a conversation at the decibels one would use to communicate in Grand Central Station is apparently acceptable.

All the members of my party were pleased with their respective treatments, and the treatment rooms were very nice. Overall, I felt this place was just ok, was actually glad we did not stay over.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Mayra B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (594)
  • Korean first
Port Washington, New York
Reviewed 3 May 2014

My children bought my husband and I a weekend getaway to the Mohonk Mountain House. Well we left early from work and drove upstate. We were very excited as we had heard wonderful things about the place. From the moment we drove up we knew there was a problem. Driving past dumpsters for garbage, a dingy dated lobby and this musty smell. Our room was also disgusting! Twenty year old carpet, yellow and old sheets and spread, no TV and an empty refrigerator. (not even a bottle of water) We stayed maybe a total of 10 minutes and decided to leave. Got back in the car and drove home. What a disappointment. They should be ashamed of themselves! It is 3:37 in the morning and I am wide awake from the ride home and the horrible experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
28 Thank Linda R
MohonkMountainHouse, Manager at Mohonk Mountain House, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Linda,

We’re so sorry to hear about your experience. We are currently completing restoration projects. As a National Historic Landmark resort our founding mission is to provide “opportunities for recreation and renewal of body, mind, and spirit in a beautiful natural setting," and we take this very seriously.

Please contact me at kmartello@mohonk.com so that we can follow-up with you personally.

Katie Martello

Assistant Director of Marketing
Mohonk Mountain House
Rockville Centre, New York
Reviewed 1 May 2014

My family and I stayed one night over the Easter break with the kids. I thought it was way to expensive $1900.00 for one night 2 rooms. we had to rent a TV for each room that was a $50 extra fee ( for the amount of money you pay you should get TV). The place is really old...I understand they are trying to keep with the old fashion feel...but needs a face lift. Our room #165 had a door to the next room in our bathroom right next to the toilet bowl and the man next door had a chair up against his side that he would sit at so you felt like he was sitting on the toilet bowl with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Horrible. My kids had a room that the connecting door was at the head of their bed so you could hear everything in the next room. The room next to us tried to light a fire in their fireplace after we went to sleep (I'm sure he did not know what he was doing because...for one thing I could hear him talking on the phone to his wife while I was in the bathroom, telling her he wanted to start a fire but did not know how). While we were sleeping our room filled with smoke ..not only did it stink...but he could have started a real fire. Not a good idea to have guests start fires ...put gas in and flip a switch! Not a fun night!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
23 Thank k p
Central, NJ
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Summary:
The Mohonk Mountain House is a visually stunning property from the exterior. The grounds include acres of wooded mountains and a beautiful lake. Golf, Frisbee golf, and hiking are among the land-based activities with paddleboats, rowboats and fishing available on the lake. There is also a highly rated spa onsite that we did not use and can't comment on. The rates are charged per person and include standard meals in the dining areas and many of the activities, but exclude room service, alcohol and the spa. While activities do abound for adults and children, the rates can seem high. Particularly when the interiors are factored into the equation. The resort is decorated in the style of the late 1800's and much of the décor appears to be original. This resort will appeal to people who have nostalgic memories of summer camp in the woods or of old-style resorts, but may not appeal to those who expect modern, upscale accommodations. Read on for more details.

Details:
The first stop is at the gate house where a friendly staffer checks you in and gives you a valet ticket. There is a scenic and lengthy drive to the main resort. Valet and self parking are available at no additional charge. The valets were courteous and prompt but waits for retrieving cars can be long at checkout time. The front desk was friendly but a bit slow in processing the line of guests waiting to check in. Guests are given a standard room key not an electronic card.

Lobby décor was very dated and worn looking. To those who like this style, it might seem authentic but to those who are looking for luxury it felt lacking. The hallways were dimly lit and the whole place had a vague stuffy aroma reminiscent of a great-grandmother's attic. Again, keeping in mind that the rates start at $300per night per person. At $600 per night for a couple, the décor was not up to what I would expect.

The rooms were also very dated in their appearance. In fact, I believe the décor did not just appear old, but was in fact very old. It was all well maintained and the woodworking was stained a dark brown with a lot of architectural detail that was impressive and depressing at the same time. The room's color palette consisted of brown, yellow and reds which did not help the depressed vibe. The lighting was adequate but not attractive with a mix of brass lamps and fixtures. The room had a working fireplace that we did not try to light as we saw some burn marks on the carpet that gave us pause.

The bedspread looked worn and had what looked like a coffee stain on it. The mattress was comfortable and the pillows were not bad, but more than two pillows would have been nice. Cable TV is available for a $25/day charge. No in room movies, just regular cable. The room had a balcony overlooking the lake which was very scenic, but for the decaying dead bird on the ledge right next to the balcony.

The bathroom was nicely tiled with a pedestal sink and a large shower area. The sink leaked however, and the shower curtain did a poor job of containing water as well. The water temperature varied from warm to hot during the shower but was not a major issue. Again, not what I would expect for the price, but functional.

There were plenty of outlets, and a safe in the closet. The alarm clock looked like it came from a local drugstore and was set to the wrong time.

Food at the resort was very good and the staff were friendly. The activities were plentiful and the grounds were stunning.

All in all, this resort will appeal to some, and for those who don't like the décor, the grandeur of the setting may be enough to make them forget the interior price. Just be aware of what it costs so you are not surprised when you see it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of a hall to avoid hearing the noise of kids running up and down the halls...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank joylama
White Plains, New York
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I attend a 3 day conference at this classic hotel. My room was fantastic, it had balcony with 2 rocking chairs, amazing views and a fully operational fireplace. The room was well maintained and clean. It was very peaceful to start the fireplace and fall asleep. Also, it was refreshing to not have a TV in the room. This allowed me to get a bit of reading competed and more importantly obtain a great night of sleep.

The grounds are amazing - golf course, ice skating ring, fresh water lake, hiking trails, spa and plenty of room just relax. The spa was very nice - there is an outdoor hot tub, steam room and sauna.

Also, the property is not far from the main restaurant strip in town and close to the Hudson valley wine and apple trail.

I would definitely comeback to spend personal time here.

Room Tip: Request a room with fireplace and balcony on a high floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank djhenryhall
New Jersey
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My husband and I went for an overnight. We are a little off season so the weather was a little chilly and super windy, but we dressed for it and were fine. We loved the hike up to the lily pond and tower. It was so peaceful and such amazing views and scenic lookout seats. I am afraid of heights and I felt very secure as there are railings all along the trail. However, I was terrified at the labyrinth rock climbing hike. It was very steep, slick even with boots on and I had to turn back after a little while after I realized it was only getting scarier! It would be really fun for someone not afraid of heights and in great shape with a lot of balance.
The food was excellent!
The spa costs $25 extra to enter. You can only use the outdoor hot tub if you pay to use the spa or have a service done. I got a basic manicure which cost 53.00 with tip, but then did not have to pay for the spa facilities. They have robes, shoes, hair dry dryers, showers, all the amenities of a spa. It was very relaxing. Once you pay for a service you have use of the spa for the whole day. It is really nice if you want a service. The pool was very relaxing, clean and warm.

The evening entertainment was very limited when we went...a lady reciting her poetry. It was definitely not our highlight, although she was a very nice person! Not exactly the entertainment we would've liked! We even snuck out as it was that bad.
I'm sure my kids would like it somewhat but we are buses to more upbeat places with more lively entertainment. If you want to just relax with no Tv's in your room and a fireplace and have a romantic evening, then this place is for you. One or two nights would be more than enough to enjoy it I think. It was pricey for what you get, but I understand it must be outrageously expensive to run and renovate an old place like this and maintain the grounds.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank momof3boyfromNJ
wantagh, ny
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I couldn't not believe you didn't highlight this place on your cliff top hotels. It is fantastic! Mohonk owned by the Smiley family for many generations is not to be missed. Gorgeous, antiques, ambiance, lake, great hiking, fireplaces galore. Talk about the food! Gourmet dining in the most spectacular dining room you'll ever see. The indoor pool, spa, and mineral hot tub offer first rate treatments. This place is something very very special in any season. We went a few times in summer, winter, and fall. Five starts all the way for couples, family, or friends.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa
Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!