“Great getaway but rooms leave something to be desired”

and 1 more site!
Mohonk Mountain House
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My husband and I went here for our anniversary weekend and everything was top notch except for our room. You will notice that I gave the hotel 4 stars and that is because although the rooms are in need of upgrading and the bathroom is extremely small we do need to remember that we are staying in a historic house not a top of the line hotel. We did the spa (excellent), fishing, tea and cookies of course, and toured the facility and took amazing pictures. For the price we paid we probably would not stay again but have gone back for day trips to the spa

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MK4EVRNY

Reviewed 12 May 2014

My husband booked us a 2-night stay with our 7 month old for Mother's Day weekend and I still cannot stop thinking about how great our weekend was. I think a big part of it was the fact that the weather was absolutely stellar, but I loved how peaceful it was. No TVs in rooms, gorgeous hikes and scenery -- and I was amazed by how comfortable I was with a baby at the resort. They did everything to accommodate us. I also had an amazing spa experience and regret not spending more time there. To be honest, I think another reason I loved it, was because we had a "country" room -- so the decor was light and bright and so sweet. I was nervous at first that we'd get one of the classic or Victorian rooms, because while it's great for some, was not exactly a style I loved.

Cannot wait to go back!

Room Tip: Book a "country" style room if you want a light and bright room -- very close to the spa a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank UWSNYC88
Reviewed 11 May 2014

First of all they need more signs directing people where to go cause it's literally a maze inside & out. I got a top floor room with a balcony overlooking the mountain- view was gorgeous- that's about it. The room was below average. Carpets old & looked dirty. Room was A LOT smaller than I expected being that I booked it for 4 ppl. I requested a fridge (in advance) for my sons medication (it wasn't there). Thank Goodness I thought ahead to bring a cooler & I left it out on the balcony because it was very cool at night. I had to call for an extra roll away bed since they said there would be one & there wasn't (the missing fridge & bed annoyed me). I really hated the fact that you literally have to make a reservation to eat every & any meal. I am also glad I also brought plenty of fruit & snacks with me. I have a special needs child & I have to be able to just go down & grab a bite to eat when he's ready -- not wait for a reservation?! Luckily the girl at the desk got me in within 1/2hr. I almost left the grounds to go to town to get him something to eat. ***Other than the room & food issue everything else was absolutely spectacular BUT I will NOT be returning as an overnight guest. I will do the Day Guest thing & eat at my leisure & sleep in my own bed. **For couples & ppl with older kids the overnight thing would probably work. Not so much with ppl with young children especially anyone with a child with a disability. Sadly Disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Reidy457
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The grounds are beautiful and breathtaking, however the interior leaves a lot to be desired. For the price you pay I don't know that this is worth it. You can't sleep in as the noise from renovations is loud and starts early. Inside is being renovated, however, again the noise and the smell do not allow you to relax as the scene does. Quite a contradiction. For the monies spent you could fly away to an all inclusive island getaway without the noise and have the updated amenities as well.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Rubigirl13
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This weekend was planned for two good friends, mid-50's, to get together, catchup, and relax. I have wanted to visit here for several years after reading rave reviews online. We found that the hotel is clean and lovely for a historic place. However, expectations are high based on the room rate (ours, one of the cheaper rooms, came to $838/night). We had a refurbished room in the old section. It was cottage-country charming: two beds with a nice little porch affording views of the Catskills. However, the bath was only big enough for one person at a time. There is no bathroom fan. The tub was very slow to drain, and there was very limited space to put toiletries. The room only had one luggage rack. Not enough outlets in the bedroom for the person not able to use the bathroom. There was no tv or clock in the room.

However, this is where our griping stops. The food was plentiful and DELICIOUS. The service was great. The led hikes and activities were superb. Hotel employees were cheery and accomodating. Although we were there in April, the grounds are really nice and I can imagine how beautiful it must be here during summer, fall, and winter. If not for the exhorbitant price tag, I would overlook the room inconvenieces and definitely return. We did not spend much time in the room anyway.

The spa, although extra, was wonderful as well. After paying for the room, we could only afford facials, but it was a nice experience. One thing we did not know: you are allowed to use all the spa facilities on the day you have booked a spa treatment. We did not know this and missed the mineral pool.

Kudos to staffmembers Brian Moran, Matt, and Cindy Heitz, who took us on several beautiful tours and hike of the property. They were interesting, knowledgeable, and fun.

Room Tip: Stay away from stairwells. Mountain view was wonderful.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Booked a spa getaway with 5 of my friends, they were very accomodating in terms of scheduling our treatments at the same time, but that was the extent of it. As we booked two weeks prior to getting there, we were unable to secure lodging in the hotel. We were unable to secure reservations at the restaurant either. There was a big difference in the way "day guests" are treated. The hotel offered a number of seminars that as day guest we were unable to attend. They did offer programs that you pay for; we wanted to attend the chocolate and wine tasting experience, but were closed out of that as well. When we tried to register at the desk, the clerk was unable to connect us with the right person, we were asked to leave a cell number and told someone would call back... I'm still waiting for the phone call. Day guests cannot use the indoor pool unless they pay an additional fee of $25.00.

The outside grounds are truly spectacular, but the inside of the manor is need of some updating. The carpets were filthy and there were very few signs indicating where anything was. The actual spa has been modernized, however everything is small in scale. There were only three showers and people were lined up outside the stalls to use them. The rows of lockers are so close together that you can elbow the person next to you if you are not careful. The so called "mineral bath" is a small jacuzzi tub that fits ten people at most. The pre-treatment waiting area is an electronic free zone. A lady nearby was asked to put her laptop back in her room, but conducting a conversation at the decibels one would use to communicate in Grand Central Station is apparently acceptable.

All the members of my party were pleased with their respective treatments, and the treatment rooms were very nice. Overall, I felt this place was just ok, was actually glad we did not stay over.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Mayra B
Reviewed 3 May 2014

My children bought my husband and I a weekend getaway to the Mohonk Mountain House. Well we left early from work and drove upstate. We were very excited as we had heard wonderful things about the place. From the moment we drove up we knew there was a problem. Driving past dumpsters for garbage, a dingy dated lobby and this musty smell. Our room was also disgusting! Twenty year old carpet, yellow and old sheets and spread, no TV and an empty refrigerator. (not even a bottle of water) We stayed maybe a total of 10 minutes and decided to leave. Got back in the car and drove home. What a disappointment. They should be ashamed of themselves! It is 3:37 in the morning and I am wide awake from the ride home and the horrible experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
28  Thank Linda R
MohonkMountainHouse, Manager at Mohonk Mountain House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Linda,

We’re so sorry to hear about your experience. We are currently completing restoration projects. As a National Historic Landmark resort our founding mission is to provide “opportunities for recreation and renewal of body, mind, and spirit in a beautiful natural setting," and we take this very seriously.

Please contact me at kmartello@mohonk.com so that we can follow-up with you personally.

Katie Martello

Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Best Western Plus The Inn & Suites At The Falls
Americas Best Value Inn - New Paltz
Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!