“Delightful, classic and authentic”

Mohonk Mountain House
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
New York, NY
“Delightful, classic and authentic”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I do not like resorts, but have always heard such wonderful things about Mohonk. And it lived up to its hype. Nestled in the Shawangunks, the surroundings are both wild and tamed. The hotel is legitimately antique, but has been kept up beautifully. We were in the oldest section (built in the 1890s) but our room had been recently and carefully renovated. The staff to guest ratio is practically 1:1, and everyone seems genuinely pleased to be working there and anxious to help you in any way they can. The resort offers events throughout the day -- boating, tennis, guided hikes, afternoon tea, evening campfires, just to name a few -- but also gives you almost complete freedom to explore the expansive grounds. The Labyrinth rock scramble is remarkable for being so unsupervised and challenging. The food is the only thing keeping my rating from a 5 -- it's not bad, it's just okay. Kind of what you expect from a kitchen trying to serve 800+ guests three meals a day buffet-style. (Kind of what I imagine you get on a cruise ship.)

Room Tip: Room 229 -- beautiful view. Small, but well-appointed and very clean.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KiwilineNY

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Korean first
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here overnight recently. It's a beautiful resort with a classic feel. We cannot wait to go back. We stayed in a "country" style room with a balcony overlooking the lake. The room was recently renovated. It was clean and comfortable, a little cozy, but adequately sized. The porch was spacious with furniture for relaxing. Refrigerator or TV are not standard but available upon request. The staff were extremely friendly. This included everyone, from the front desk to the wait staff to housekeeping. The grounds were well managed and clean. It is family resort with a lot of activities for family members of all ages. With that said, don't expect to find multiple bars around the resort. There is only one, the Carriage Lounge. It is a bit small and is located in a part of the building without windows. Abe is a fantastic bartender who really knows his wines. All in all, a great place to relax and enjoy the great outdoors.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank reigle215
Dresher, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

This group of three families travels together on excursions we call "no reservations". Have been at this for 6 yrs. We pick a direction, drive as long as we can/desire and stop when an interesting place is in our sights. These are not budget trips - we know we'll sometimes pay dearly and we are prepared. Just last week we did Burlington VT, Lake Placid, Saratoga Springs and we attempted New Paltz, but were turned away at the Mohonk Mountain House without being encouraged to make a reservation.

Two cars were down in the town of New Paltz for an ice cream stop while Steve and I took the SUV up.

We enjoyed a delightful ascension up the mountain, past a wonderful old graveyard (we always explore these when we come across them - did I review Lancaster County, PA and the Inn at Leola Village? Must do!). Upon reaching the gatehouse to Mohonk Mountain House, the female guard came over with her clipboard and we explained that we wanted to book a room. Before we completed the sentence, she shook her head "no" and said she couldn't let us up the mountain without a reservation. Ok. No problem. We do this all the time and I know that if a room is available , I can have a reservation confirmation number in ....oh....5 minutes? So I asked the question to which I already knew the answer: "can we just call and make a reservation"? I just wanted to see how she'd handle that - encourage or discourage. She discouraged. "Our rooms begin around $350 a night". Hmmmm. Did I ask about the cost? I asked IF I could call and make a reservation. Actually, $350 seemed like a bargain. We'd just spent more than that, per room, at Saratoga - for opening weekend. And we'd spent just about that at Burlington, VT Hilton overlooking Lake Champlain. I expected $500-$600 for The Mohonk. I felt like Oprah must have when she walked into Trois Pommes and asked to see an expensive bag, but was encouraged to see something less expensive. Oh my.

I responded to the guard (smiling) that I wasn't concerned about the cost, I was concerned about making a reservation. (Hoping she would say: "you may pull over - there - and make a call" and then she would provide me with instructions on what to do next). Nope. She just said "I'm sorry" and shrugged. Steve and I both said "wow" at once, turned our Lexus SUV around and drove down the mountain.

On the way down, I took all of 5 minutes to complete a mock booking and determine that rooms were, indeed, open. For years, I've been on the mailing list of the mountain house. I've shared their deals on my website and various travel forums. It has long been on my "to do" list. I'm glad I can now check it off. Done. Saw the gate, which was enough.

Next review - Burlington, VT, Saratoga (again - can't get enough) and Lake Placid's amazing Hampton Inn (yes, Hampton Inn!! But not your mother's Hampton Inn)

Stayed July 2014
25 Thank bluwater11
Katie M, Guest Relations Manager at Mohonk Mountain House, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear bluwater11,

We apologize for your experience at the Gatehouse. We're so sorry that you weren’t able to experience Mohonk Mountain House after it’s been on your “to do” list for so many years. This interaction does not reflect our commitment to service and we will be addressing this situation directly with the parties involved. We appreciate you letting us know about it. We love the unique travel concept you’ve created and we’d like to be able to demonstrate that we’re worthy of your “no reservations” excursions. If you’d ever like to give us another chance, I would like to personally assist you with your reservations. You can reach me at guestrelations@mohonk.com or 845.256.2149.

Brian Moran
Guest Relations Manager
Mohonk Mountain House
PA
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Mohonk is a beautiful setting for anyone who loves the great outdoors. The resort is very old but kept up extremely well. It is so fun to walk around and see the antiques in use. The rooms we had were clean and spacious. We were in the recently renovated section. There are various styles, such as Victorian décor. Our had 2 additional chairs and a desk. We were on the 3rd floor and had no issues however, my sister-in-law was near the ice machine and that was a bit noisy. I also loved that there are little seating areas all around that you can go to play games or visit. There is a ton of activities to do, some are included and some for a price. For example, you can play disc golf. It was an additional $10, but that was just to buy the disc. If we had brought our own, no charge. (you keep them after your are done) My kids loved the paddle boarding, (no additional charge) and there are kayaks, row boats, and paddle boats. Lovely pool, the spa was nice and there are all sorts of hiking trails for all levels of expertise. WE also took a nice horse back ride. (additional fee) There is evening entertainment of some kind, usually a movie and in the summer they hold a Festival of the Arts with different people/groups in each evening. There is a daily tour of the Mountain House which was very interesting and if you are more interested in the history, the barn is FULL of items used in prior days. The history is pretty amazing. I haven't listed all there is to do, suffice it to say, we were busy.
We loved the food, the buffet was very nice, my only thought was the food could be hotter. The formal dinners were great. Great service, great food! We liked the food at the Granary, an outdoor barbeque lunch down by the lake as well. They have afternoon cookies and tea on the porch and cocktail hour out there as well. All in all, we had a great time and would love to go back.

Room Tip: Avoid the ice machines.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank klmnh
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I have been a day visitor to Mohonk on a number of occasions but this was our first overnight stay.

Firstly, Mohonk is as stunning in real life as in the photographs. It is almost surreal. It sits in the "Gunks", a mountain range that is south of the Catskills and, in my opinion, more beautiful than it's neighbor. The Mohonk Preserve and Minniwaska State Park have excellent hiking and mountain biking, always with an opportunity to cool off in a lake or river.

The resort is not cheap, and your fee does not include many of the amenities (drinks, bikes etc). The house and grounds are extremely well kept. The main house is over 145 years old and must cost a small fortune to maintain to this standard. The smell of polished hits you as you enter the house. The rooms are excellent and seem to have recently updated bathrooms. Unfortunately they are susceptible to noise from the corridors.

Below are my tips to have a lovely stay.

- Avoid rooms with a lot of foot traffic outside, eg near the dining room. I was in room 104, and had to move due to it's location. Make sure your room is not near the dining rooms, games room or on the direct approach to the spa/pool.
- Bring drinks. while they serve alcohol at dinner (for a price), there is no bar. In addition, if your kid wants Apple Juice etc the only place to buy this is from the gift shop. All rooms have balconies so it a nice ritual to have a drink before dinner and take in the view.
- they have their rules. This isn't a Four Seasons. The service level is excellent but you need to play within their boundaries.
- Don't sign up for the evening buffet. From what I could tell ordering from the menu looked better. The lunch time buffet was good. They offer a barque almost daily which you can sign up for at the Granary. It makes a nice change but the food isn't very good.
- Swim the lake. For a couple of hours a day you are allowed to swim the width of the lake. It is less crowded in the morning swim.
- Send your kids to the kids club. I told my daughter that she should try it on our first morning. She loved it. The counsellors are young and can really relate to the kids. My daughter ended up insisting on going to all the sessions and crying all the home because she was going to miss her new friends.
- Beware the row boats. It seemed like a good idea at the time but there is a real skill to rowing and I am sadly lacking.
- Check out the spa. It is very good. The pool is lovely too.
- join the escorted Mountain Tour. I did it solo and got lost!
- if you are in the region, check out other things mid-Hudson has to offer. The historic houses of Hyde Park, New Paltz, Woodstock, Culinary Institute of America etc.

Enjoy your stay

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the dining rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank CushyNYC
Oyster Bay Cove, New York
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My family and I went here for a weekend trip and it was great. Tons of hiking, fishing, canoeing and plenty of other things!! Nice getaway to relax from all the city and suburb life. Not a bad ride up from Long Island (Nassau County area), and beautiful scenery on the drive up.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The grounds could not have been more beautiful: the lake, the hills, the woods, the meadows, the gardens. Was there in the late fall, with beautiful autumn foliage still lingering. Nicely updated rooms in the stately old building. Wide hallways still a little creaky (in a good way), adorned with b&w photos of earlier times. Tea time was casual; buffet breakfast generous; dinner decent. Spa was lovely; great outdoor hot tub.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
#2 of 5 in Highland
New Paltz Hostel
New Paltz Hostel
#1 of 2 in New Paltz

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!