“Nice, but overpriced”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
New York City, New York
“Nice, but overpriced”
Reviewed 23 June 2005

Unless it's a new addition, I don't know what everyone's talking about with the a/c's. I had an a/c in my room, and looking at windows, it seems like everyone else does too.

The meals were decent for catered food, but the times for meals was very strict for a place that doesn't give you an alarm clock in the room.

The staff, accommodations, grounds and activities were great, but for the price we paid per night it was not worth it, even though food and all tips were included. I spent equivalent to the same amount per day on my trip to Aruba earlier this year staying peak time at the Radisson, doing water activities and going to the spa... eating and drinking at top restaurants nightly...

Great to experience once, but wouldn't go back for the same price.

• Stayed June 2005
6 Thank Christine P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 June 2005

This mountain top resort is one of the last of its kind in the world.
Not many family owned places that are much bigger or better!
The world should know what a great place this for all ages of life...

• Stayed May 2005, travelled on business
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NJ
Reviewed 13 June 2005

My husband and I went for a romantic weekend of hiking and relaxing. We did get tons of hiking in (about 25 miles in two days) ... the food was excellent! (breakfast, lunch and dinner) --- but our room did not live up to our expectations at all. So be warned. It was August, very hot in our room, no A/C. The bed was really uncomfortable (I was hoping for a more rustic look) .... and the walls are paper thin. We did our best to stay out of the room. The balcony was very nice, so we hung outside with a bottle of wine. I would go back, but only if we stayed in a suite.

• Stayed August 2004
4 Thank skylarNj
Leonia, NJ
Reviewed 30 May 2005

Ny husband and I just returned from staying there for Memorial Day weekend. The grounds are beautiful, the food was great! (dinner desert not so hot), sign up for the BBQ. The staff was friendly. The room however, left a lot to be desired. We booked a traditional room at $489/night. The room was extremely small and the bed had a hole down the middle that kept us up ALL NIGHT. No matter what we tried, we woke up in pain. I told the front desk in the morning and he didn't seem too surprised. Also, there's no airconditioning so I don't know what it would be like in the summer. While it's cool outside, the window had no screen and we didn't open it for fear of bugs. If not for that it is a great place and a good getaway- maybe check the room out first before accepting. My husband doesn't want to go back but I think I would.

• Stayed May 2005
13 Thank rm483
whippany, new jersey
Reviewed 4 May 2005

Mohonk Mountain House is a wonderful retreat away from modern cares and distrubances for those who do their homework and find out in advance what they're getting for their hotel dollar.

DO come here if you are looking for unusual surroundings, freshly and well-prepared food,
fresh air, outdoor activities, peace and quiet time with nature, outstanding hiking and spectacular scenery, a stay in homey Victorian accomodations in a megalith of a "house" (misnomer if there ever was one).

You are better served going elsewhere if you are looking for jazz and snazz, round-the-clock activities, cocktail lounges, heated towel bars, white-gloved/uniformed footmen, haute gourmet food, finger bowls and cushions for the ladies' feet at dinner time. If you looked at the high price tag expecting to find like-minded peers in a location similar to what you've visited elsewhere around the world for the same cost, you might be surprised -- Mohonk is definitely not like other hotels. Do your research first. If you are elderly and cannot navigate uneven flooring or high porcelain bathtubs, or are severely asthmatic and might have trouble with particulates in the air from the many wood-burning fireplaces in the hotel, you might also wish to consider other accomodations.

All that said, we enjoyed our stay but would prefer to go back during high season when it is warmer and more activities are available. During summer months: water sports, hiking, horse-
back riding, outdoor barbecues, art studio, new spa opening up, golf, putting green, fishing,
etc. along with their themed weekends and nightly movies or presentations.

Mohonk is expensive to visit because it is expensive to maintain, although they do an excellent job keeping the place immaculate and well renovated while staying true to the spirit of the original establishment.

Stayed May 2005
12 Thank Cath38
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 May 2005

I recently stayed at Mohonk for a family trip for my Mom's 80th birthday and the whole experience was just wonderful! I've been there before, the last time as a teenager, I think, and it has always been one of my favorite places! This latest visit didn't change any of my fond memories (in fact it still smelled the same--woodsmoke from the fireplaces!). The staff was wonderful--they were taking care of a group of 10 of us and any minor problem or need was quickly taken care of. The food was a very pleasant surprise--very good buffets for breakfast and lunch, and excellent, seemingly cooked-to-order gourmet dinners (new chef?). Wonderfully presented, too. They also have a good wine list. Even though it rained lightly on Saturday, we got in miles of hiking and when the sun came out on Sunday the scenery was just breathtaking! The view from the mountaintop is just something everyone should see once. There are many planned activities available--always something to do if you want to. I'm a light sleeper and I found the hotel to be quite quiet after dinner. I'll admit that I'm a t.v. watcher and wondered if I'd be able to make do without one in my room (there are t.v.s in several lounges), but I didn't watch a second of t.v. the entire time I was there and I didn't miss it! In fact I haven't been that relaxed in a long time! Coming home (and back to work) was really kind of a let-down after our wonderful weekend at Mohonk!

• Stayed April 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed 16 February 2005

Our extended family has been lucky to come here three times since 2001, usually over the Labor Day weekend. It is good to stay at least three nights, as it allows two full days of relaxation in between. This famous hotel began in 1869 and has been enlarged over the years by the same amazing family to this day. They were interested in preserving the environment long before it became fashionable; they gave many acres of their property to the public as a wooded mountain preserve. The whole place is a remarkable living history museum, relaxing and unhurried. All meals and some sports/events are included as part of your room rate, which is admittedly expensive, but you get to enjoy your own country club for the weekend. Swimming in the lake, row boating and paddle boating, horseback riding, hiking, carriage rides, ice skating, tennis, golf, tours of greenhouses and the barn, and shuffleboard are delightful. The extensive grounds and formal gardens are breathtaking. You can hardly believe that New York City is only two hours away by car. It is very much a great American resort, more relaxed and less pretentious than European resorts. If you are expecting a high tech hotel with 24 hour room service, modern furnishings, Internet connections and plasma TV's, you may not be happy here until you learn to relax for a change. Although your room does not have a TV, there is one large screen TV available in a room off the lobby should you be desperate for a certain programme. We have found the food quality excellent and plentiful in a wholesome, not quite gourmet, way. The lobster ravioli was great. Culinary specialists have been called in during the last two years to give the meals a few more gourmet touches. Three meals and afternoon tea daily will keep you full, and you even have your lunch provided indoors or outdoors on the day that you check out. Lunch overlooking the lake at the Granary is a special pleasure in summer. You will understand why the American artists of the Hudson River School liked to paint scenes in the Catskills and Adirondacks. A new indoor heated pool and spa center is being built now and it will be an added treat for those seasons when the lake is too chilly for a dip. The staff are wonderful. I am grateful this hotel is being kept as a traditional resort. Keep up the good work, Mohonk Mountain House, and we will be back.

9 Thank Dennis1
#2 of 5 in Highland
New Paltz Hostel
New Paltz Hostel
#1 of 2 in New Paltz

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!