“Mohonk -- Paradise on July 4 2005 weekend”

Mohonk Mountain House
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Reviewed 4 July 2005

Just got back from Mohonk Mountain House -- had booked three days over July 4 weekend only a week earlier. Surprised rooms were available.
Thanks in part to perfect weather, my fiancee and I enjoyed one of our greatest weekends together ever. First time for both of us at Mohonk. Even at $500 (479+taxes and tips) per night for the two of us, it's a bargain. Forget what the complainers are saying -- Mohonk has managed to maintain service and quality (the lunch buffet is tremendous -- better than formal dinner, which declined by last night) in the face of an increasingly diverse customer base (including whiney, demanding, low-brow types). The service is consistently excellent for a family resort -- everyone attentive and pleasant. The wine list is limited, low-cost, with a couple of notables.

But the beefs about the rooms -- and specifically, the beds -- are legit. Our room was small, and the bed was advertised as a queen was in fact a full-size bed. Alerted the front-desk to this, and clearly the fellow had heard this before. Being July 4 weekend, didn't even try to ask for a different room. For the record, don't try to have --- on the bed because you'll be performing for more than your immediate neighbors.
But when the weather was as good as this July 4th weekend why stay inside? The trails and views and walking were spectacular. The cross-lake swim was tremendous -- 82 degree water, clean and feeling more than 90 miles from NYC.
Mohonk is a prescious throwback. With its brilliant setting and Quaker sense of tolerance (primarily of spoiled customers), it deserves to outlive the rest of us.

• Stayed: July 2005
12  Thank Mediahound100

A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed 27 June 2005

Expecting to spend a romantic anniversary at the Mohonk Mountain house, my wife and I were terribly dissapointed both in the quality of the rooms, service and food. For more than $500, our room was very small with an uncomfortable Murphy bed - basically a DUMP. When we asked the manager to find us another room, he said he would work on it and let us know in a few minues. After waiting an hour without hearing back from him we called the main office and found out that he had left for the day.
Eventually we were shown two other rooms, each one worse than the original. In addition, the food is less than mediocre, and the shuttle bus driver is very rude. Do yourself a favor and stay in a local hotel. You can visit the grounds for a meager daily fee.

Stayed: June 2005
16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 June 2005

My husband and I stayed in the Victorian Suite for 3 nights in this 1869 built quirky castle. He fell in love with EVERYTHING - the decor w/ rocking chairs on surrounding porches, gorgeous views, fresh cool mountain air, hikes, paddle boats, the lake view from our terrace, the 3 meal plan, the StoryTeller and Pun Lecturer in the evenings, the Gardens, and NEVER wanted to leave. No phones. No TVs. Internet is in a public area. I prefer something a bit more renovated. When we first walked in there was an "old antique" odor that I could do without. Our room was very pretty if you like Victorian, but dark. There is a toilet/ bathtub room but the sink was oddly & inconveniently across the way by the front door. Large closets.. The room has a very nice scent from the wood burning fireplace. Fresh flowers from the garden. The terrace rail was a bit rusty. The dining room food & buffet was delicious with a beautiful view & excellent service. It was like being on a cruise ship with an Activity Sheet every day offering things to do but many people spent their days reading on those rocking chairs. Gorgeous dark wood and antique lighting everywhere. Very ecologically-oriented. And we met the nicest and friendliest people.

• Stayed: June 2005
10  Thank cipi2000
Reviewed 23 June 2005

Unless it's a new addition, I don't know what everyone's talking about with the a/c's. I had an a/c in my room, and looking at windows, it seems like everyone else does too.

The meals were decent for catered food, but the times for meals was very strict for a place that doesn't give you an alarm clock in the room.

The staff, accommodations, grounds and activities were great, but for the price we paid per night it was not worth it, even though food and all tips were included. I spent equivalent to the same amount per day on my trip to Aruba earlier this year staying peak time at the Radisson, doing water activities and going to the spa... eating and drinking at top restaurants nightly...

Great to experience once, but wouldn't go back for the same price.

• Stayed: June 2005
6  Thank Christine P
A TripAdvisor Member
new paltz, new york
Reviewed 15 June 2005

This mountain top resort is one of the last of its kind in the world.
Not many family owned places that are much bigger or better!
The world should know what a great place this for all ages of life...

• Stayed: May 2005, travelled on business
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 June 2005

My husband and I went for a romantic weekend of hiking and relaxing. We did get tons of hiking in (about 25 miles in two days) ... the food was excellent! (breakfast, lunch and dinner) --- but our room did not live up to our expectations at all. So be warned. It was August, very hot in our room, no A/C. The bed was really uncomfortable (I was hoping for a more rustic look) .... and the walls are paper thin. We did our best to stay out of the room. The balcony was very nice, so we hung outside with a bottle of wine. I would go back, but only if we stayed in a suite.

• Stayed: August 2004
4  Thank skylarNj
Reviewed 30 May 2005

Ny husband and I just returned from staying there for Memorial Day weekend. The grounds are beautiful, the food was great! (dinner desert not so hot), sign up for the BBQ. The staff was friendly. The room however, left a lot to be desired. We booked a traditional room at $489/night. The room was extremely small and the bed had a hole down the middle that kept us up ALL NIGHT. No matter what we tried, we woke up in pain. I told the front desk in the morning and he didn't seem too surprised. Also, there's no airconditioning so I don't know what it would be like in the summer. While it's cool outside, the window had no screen and we didn't open it for fear of bugs. If not for that it is a great place and a good getaway- maybe check the room out first before accepting. My husband doesn't want to go back but I think I would.

• Stayed: May 2005
New Paltz Hostel
#1 of 2 in New Paltz
Americas Best Value Inn - New Paltz
Stonegate Bed and Breakfast

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!