“Absolutely loved it.”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Sandy Spring, Maryland
“Absolutely loved it.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2005

After reading many of the negative reviews, I just had to write my own review. We have gone to the "Mountain House" two years in a row (2003 and 2004) and plan another visit this August. With a two career family with high stress jobs, we find this to be a very relaxing get away. Yes - the place is old - but that's part of the charm! I personally love historic buildings and don't mind the creaky floors, etc. We have not been disappointed with the rooms. I love the fact that they aren't the look alike sterile environment rooms you get at a newer hotel. The food could be a bit better, but it's really not bad. One of the best parts is taking the kids to the Granary and eating an outdoor breakfast overlooking the lake. This is a perfect vacation for families who want to get away from it all. We love the fact that our kids do not miss having a television. There is way too much to do - hiking, horseback riding, swimming, etc to spend alot of time in your rooms anyway. The outdoor movies at night and camp fires are a very enjoyable experience. We have also enjoyed some of the shows done during the arts week. We often get hot chocolate and sit out on the rocking chairs overlooking the lake at night and have had our children fall asleep in our arms as we rocked and enjoyed the serenity. This place is not for everyone. It's certainly a bit pricey, but I can only imagine what it costs to maintain a building that old and grounds that large. I for one am glad to pay it and help preserve something that is truly an historical landmark.

Stayed August 2004
8 Thank cgates2016

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
  • Korean first
Philadelphia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2005

We first visited Mohonk about 10 years ago and found it a beautiful place with excellent service and a 5 star dining experience. We went back three additional times within the next 5 years and it was always a great experience.

We just returned this past weekend after 5 years. My wife and I were celebrating our 22nd wedding anniversary and I surprised her with a mini vacation without the kids. The hotel and grounds are as beautiful as ever. The guest service, bellmen, etc were also top notch. The room was spotless as usual. But there was one very noticeable difference. The dining experience which was once 5 stars is now about 2. The food was mediocre at best. The thing we found most disturbing was the dining room service. Staffed by all young people (not the veterans we would see year after year before) they just couldn't be bothered. If you were lucky enough to be asked if you wanted a cup of coffee or tea after diner, don't count on a second cup unless you ask for it! Not once at breakfast, lunch or dinner were we asked.

The first evening we had reservations for the formal dining room. We had to ask for everything from rolls to refills. Since the gratuity is already figured in on your stay these kids just don't really care about the level of service they provide. The next evening we decided to attend the casual buffet. I am honest when I say the food at this buffet was at a lower level than the cafeteria where I work!! The beverage service (where you depend on the waitress) was also lacking.

Over the years the price of the Mohonk experience has been rising as everything around us. I believe the owners should take a good hard look at the dining portion of the resort and make some much needed changes. The patrons are paying good money and in return expect excellent food and outstanding service. To be honest, it's just not there.

Another thing we found very interesting. There is a survey that you receive at the duration of your stay. It covers everything EXCEPT the food quality and the dining room service... makes you wonder!!

Mohonk is one of the most beautiful resorts in the country. I still love it and hope that through this writing and my feedback letter to the hotel, the problem can be fixed to make this a 100% top notch experience for all who visit!!

12 Thank mommy03
Limerick,PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2005

My sister had suggested trying Mohonk based on Samantha Brown's review on the travel channel. It did certainly look nice on her show, but Samantha got one of the better rooms.

I was looking forward to my stay there. But when we arrived in the room, we found out that there was no tv or air conditioning in the room. In order to keep cool at night, we had to have the windows open, but were concerned because the screens in the windows had holes, and mosquitos could come in at night. The only way to keep cool was the ceiling fan and also keeping the transom above our door open. However, with the transom open and the porch door and windows open, you could easily hear other guests at night and had trouble sleeping because of the noise from other guests and the outside movie they had. The wood on the porch, porch door, and and window frames was very dilapidated and need of a major repair. The water in the bathtub was slow in going down while taking a shower, and so the water filled up quickly and you were standing in your own dirty water. There was no soap holder at the sink to hold your hand soap. The soap often times would slide in the sink itself. My dad had taken pictures of the dilapidated condition of our room, but I do not have them right now to be able to share. I will share them later if I can.

Because of the poor condition of the room and lack of amenities, I felt the room rates are way overpriced.

Also, the breakfast was nothing to write home about. It was a buffet style breakfast. I am somewhat understanding as to why they would have a buffet style breakfast because they have a large number of rooms and guests there, and serving buffet style is more efficient. Some of the dinner items were pretty good. Also, the afternoon tea and cookies thing was a joke. The only beverage they served was hot tea. Not everyone is a tea drinker and who in the world wants to drink hot tea on hot and humid August afternoon??? All other places that I've been to have have afternoon tea and cookies offer cold beverages as well, such as iced tea and lemonade.

Luckily my family and I only stayed there 2 days, but it was the longest 2 days of my life. Every so often, I was giving a count down of the hours and minutes until we left that place. I would have left earlier if I could have, but was traveling with my family.

The only good thing I have to say about the place is the nice garden and hiking trail. If you want to see this, stay elsewhere and visit Mohonk as a day trip thing.

• Stayed August 2003
16 Thank KDB6151
Bellmore, Newyork
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2005

Stayed here with my wife and child during the July 4th weekend. Mohonk has the some of the most scenic views in the whole of the northeast. Really beautiful trails to walk on and take in this beauty. The problem is the food. Three meals a day are included with the stay. The food was one step up from what one would get from a high school caferteria. For what we were charged - over 600 a night, I expected better.

• Stayed July 2005
9 Thank Stephanie G
Washington, D.C.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2005

Just got back from Mohonk Mountain House -- had booked three days over July 4 weekend only a week earlier. Surprised rooms were available.
Thanks in part to perfect weather, my fiancee and I enjoyed one of our greatest weekends together ever. First time for both of us at Mohonk. Even at $500 (479+taxes and tips) per night for the two of us, it's a bargain. Forget what the complainers are saying -- Mohonk has managed to maintain service and quality (the lunch buffet is tremendous -- better than formal dinner, which declined by last night) in the face of an increasingly diverse customer base (including whiney, demanding, low-brow types). The service is consistently excellent for a family resort -- everyone attentive and pleasant. The wine list is limited, low-cost, with a couple of notables.

But the beefs about the rooms -- and specifically, the beds -- are legit. Our room was small, and the bed was advertised as a queen was in fact a full-size bed. Alerted the front-desk to this, and clearly the fellow had heard this before. Being July 4 weekend, didn't even try to ask for a different room. For the record, don't try to have --- on the bed because you'll be performing for more than your immediate neighbors.
But when the weather was as good as this July 4th weekend why stay inside? The trails and views and walking were spectacular. The cross-lake swim was tremendous -- 82 degree water, clean and feeling more than 90 miles from NYC.
Mohonk is a prescious throwback. With its brilliant setting and Quaker sense of tolerance (primarily of spoiled customers), it deserves to outlive the rest of us.

• Stayed July 2005
12 Thank Mediahound100
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2005

Expecting to spend a romantic anniversary at the Mohonk Mountain house, my wife and I were terribly dissapointed both in the quality of the rooms, service and food. For more than $500, our room was very small with an uncomfortable Murphy bed - basically a DUMP. When we asked the manager to find us another room, he said he would work on it and let us know in a few minues. After waiting an hour without hearing back from him we called the main office and found out that he had left for the day.
Eventually we were shown two other rooms, each one worse than the original. In addition, the food is less than mediocre, and the shuttle bus driver is very rude. Do yourself a favor and stay in a local hotel. You can visit the grounds for a meager daily fee.

Stayed June 2005
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2005

My husband and I stayed in the Victorian Suite for 3 nights in this 1869 built quirky castle. He fell in love with EVERYTHING - the decor w/ rocking chairs on surrounding porches, gorgeous views, fresh cool mountain air, hikes, paddle boats, the lake view from our terrace, the 3 meal plan, the StoryTeller and Pun Lecturer in the evenings, the Gardens, and NEVER wanted to leave. No phones. No TVs. Internet is in a public area. I prefer something a bit more renovated. When we first walked in there was an "old antique" odor that I could do without. Our room was very pretty if you like Victorian, but dark. There is a toilet/ bathtub room but the sink was oddly & inconveniently across the way by the front door. Large closets.. The room has a very nice scent from the wood burning fireplace. Fresh flowers from the garden. The terrace rail was a bit rusty. The dining room food & buffet was delicious with a beautiful view & excellent service. It was like being on a cruise ship with an Activity Sheet every day offering things to do but many people spent their days reading on those rocking chairs. Gorgeous dark wood and antique lighting everywhere. Very ecologically-oriented. And we met the nicest and friendliest people.

• Stayed June 2005
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ellenville
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa
Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!