“Honeymoon In NY-The Mohonk Stay”

Mohonk Mountain House
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in New Paltz
Miami, Florida
“Honeymoon In NY-The Mohonk Stay”
Reviewed 1 November 2009

I read a lot of reviews on the Mohonk before booking the main part of my honeymoon there. I got a lot of mixed impressions and finally decided to give it a try. Everyone we spoke to in person (while in NY) had great reviews for the Mohonk Mountain House. Having booked it months in advance, I know I did not get the best deal possible. Since this was my honeymoon, I did not worry too much about the higher cost (my wife REALLY wanted to go here and it looked nice, so why not?).

I booked a Monday-Friday stay in a Victorian room. The room was nothing special when it comes to being plush and luxurious. It was comfortable and well maintained. We had a fireplace which we used every night. The temperatures were not cold enough for them to light off the main heat source, but it was definitely cold enough to use the fireplace. Our room overlooked the lake and we had a nice balcony with two rocking chairs on them. Once checked in you can lock your wallet or purse away in the safe and just keep the ID cards they give you because they can charge any extra activities or drinks straight to your room just with that card. This takes the place of the electronic door key card you usually get at more modern hotels since you will be issued a good old fashioned key for your room.

The service throughout the resort was excellent. We took out rowboats, hiked miles and miles, and played 9 holes of golf on Wednesday. One note on the golf, the green fees are waived for overnight guests on Wednesdays...but make sure you bring your own clubs, balls, and tees because you will be charged to use these if you come empty handed. It was reasonable enough, but I was definitely not expecting it since everything else is provided for you for the other activities.

My bride and I spaced out our activities and even took into some evening nature lectures. The evening lectures seemed to be geared towards and older crowd, but some of them were interesting. We learned all about the region and its formation under the glacier which enhanced our outdoor activities the rest of the week. It is really easy to spend entire days out hiking the trails. We planned the hikes so we never missed a meal (I will get to the food later...yum). We never took a bag lunch out, but the resort does offer them for a lunch on the road. The resort offers some rock climbing (for a fee), and that seemed like a neat thing to do if that is your thing or just want to try it. Of course, you go with a guide and use their gear, so don't worry if you have never done it before. The trees were at their peak Autumnal colors the week we were there. There was plenty of great opportunites for nature photography in any season.

All of the meals are included with overnight stays...as well as ALL tips, tax, etc. Breakfast and lunch are buffet. The quality was high for a buffet for both meals. There is always some sort of station for fresh waffles and omlets for breakfast and a carving station for lunch. Lunch was unique also since they offer you a soup to start that they serve to your table and then a dessert and coffee at the conclusion of your meal! Their desserts were AMAZING! The Mohonk chef must be a seasonal genius because I ate a different pumpkin dessert every meal (and yes, I had choices for other treats, but being Fall...I was in the mood). Dinner is 4 course: 2 appetizers, entree, and dessert. We stuck around for all 4 courses each night. The specials were amazing and their menus changed nightly. Our favorite appetizer that I want to share with you is the Hudson Valley Artisan Cheese plate. It was amazing. There are few words that can describe how unique their cheese plates were and how amazing their flavor combinations came together with each cheese. My favorite (althought I loved them all) was a cheese called "Drunken Goat". It was served on a larger cracker with some sort of mango puree...so delicious. The rest of the food was delicious and I know I gained a little vacation weight just from having a 4 course dinner each night. My wife and I discussed later and realized that many people who loved Mohonk so much were always raving about their food...and they are right. Also, the service staff is great. They are all very knowledgeable and take good care of you. The menu each night does include wine and other after dinner drinks if you so desire (for an extra cost). There are few places you can buy a drink on the premises, but dinner is one and the Carriage lounge is another.

The Carriage lounge opened in 2005 as an experiment (found that out on the house tour...it was ok, worth the 30 minute walk around). The lounge was very popular and it stuck. We went and had a cocktail (and it is priced like NYC as far as alcohol) one night. It is only open until 1100 p.m. We went near closing and it was full of younger folk (like us).

At 4 p.m. everyday there is tea and cookies. The tea was good, the cookies need improvement.

The hotel hosts a variety of meetings during the week. The grounds were relatively quiet during the workday since everyone was in sessions throughout the property. They do offer certain programs only on the weekend that we missed out on, but the weekday trip was definitely nice and quiet.

Let's talk honeymoon destination. If you are a nature lover, this place is great (as long as it doesn't rain and you are stuck inside). We really enjoyed each other and did not mind the lack of night life, the family resort feeling, lack of TV and radio, and almost dry atmosphere (if you catch my drift). The original founders of the resort were Quakers and they are just getting to the addition of alcohol... We ran into another honeymooning couple and they were at a loss of what to do after day 1...they did lots of the activities all in one day! They mountain biked, went on a horse drawn carriage ride, and hiked the lake before the sun set on the first day. Take your time and space it out. Go to tea everyday and really take in the scenery.

The big question, would I go back? Yes, I will go back, but I will definitely look for a better deal next time.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank flyncoastal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
  • Korean first
Franklin Square, NY
Reviewed 30 October 2009

My husband and I have stayed at Monhonk Mountain House about 10 times over the past 30 years. We have stayed in the traditional rooms and for our 35th wedding anniversary 2 years ago, we stayed in the victorian room. The food, service and atmosphere is wonderful. Hiking is great. Scenery is magnificent. Breakfast and lunch are buffet syle but dinner is always in the main dining room and occasionally we had dinner brought to our room. The food is excellent. We are going back this coming weekend (11/06/09) to celebrate my birthday...I never used the spa, but long to go back and relax in the pool after hiking. When you include the 3 meals, it is not very expensive.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BELLAMIKE
New Jersey
Reviewed 12 October 2009

This place is definitely over priced for the quality of the food and the rooms. There's an old section and a new, but no guarantee which section you'll be in. We were in the old section and the walls are paper thin so you hear everything. I would avoid the weekends, unless you are traveling with kids. The dinner buffet felt like we were eating at Chucky Cheese. The hiking trails are naturally beautiful and the spa is great, but those are the only places where you'll find peace and quiet.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OnTheGo03
Amherst, New Hampshire
Reviewed 11 October 2009

My sisters and I gathered to celebrate a 50th birthday. Hotel furnishings, sprawling wings and grounds make for a very relaxed setting. Take the hotel tour - the resort owners have done a stunning job keeping an old feel with modern touches. Many nooks and porches with comfortable chairs and sitting spots. Food was fine. Spa a bit pricey but service was fine.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Forest Hills, New York
Reviewed 7 October 2009

Our very quick trip to Mohonk was perfect. The rooms are immaculate, with marvelous views. The staff is friendly and accomodating. Meals are abundant and high quality. Looking forward to a longer stay next time.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank alexisd
New York
Reviewed 1 October 2009

Hard to believe there is such a beautiful nature only 2 hours away from New York City, feels -kinda- like the Swiss Alps.
There is a shocking contrast between the beauty of the nature around, and this tired, old, strange place.
They should either charge 1/3 of the fee, or get this place 3 times better in order to get what you pay for.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Midnite_oil
Tuckerton, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 September 2009

This is honestly the most beautiful and relaxing place that I have ever been to. I have been here many times. Unfortunately it is EXPENSIVE and I can rarely get enough cash together to go. One night is never enough for me. Every time is a new and exciting experience. They are constantly making changes to the estate and there is always something new to see and do. The food is Fabulous. The SPA is GREAT. Check out the size of those TROUT swimming in the water. The hiking trails are so cool and you could hike on them forever and still not see them all. There is a beautiful ice skating rink there but I have personally never used it. Also there is a great Kids program with all kinds of activities and fun... my daughter absolutely loved it ! There is also horse back riding ... we have done this but if you are a chicken I wouldn't recommend it because you are in the mountains. The nearby town is also a great place to explore with many antiques and unusual stores. There is also many gardens and greenhouses. You can even buy some of the plants they grow there. My husband has even golfed there. He says it is much different golfing in the mountains... I guess it wasn't a good game.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ellenville
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa
Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa

Been to Mohonk Mountain House? Share your experiences!