“Steak for a few bucks more”

Schlesinger's Steak House
Ranked #3 of 63 Restaurants in New Windsor
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
NorthEast
“Steak for a few bucks more”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Having been to many steakhouses this one appears be more popular for its local history and local fan club, but compares no better regarding the menu then some of the national steakhouse chains. The room is historical-like with nice touches of brick walls and timbers. The seating is generally comfortable, but on our visit a few other tables of diners were louder than expected; we had to move. The waiting staff were young. This might explain their simple, not so experienced service. The waiter was not well informed about the ingredients and came back to tell us some items were no longer available. The various steak entrees order came appropriately warm. Overall our party came for curiosity because it was a local favorite, but failed to see what else it offered out of the ordinary other then a few bucks more then the national chain down the road.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank travelbob1

New Windsor, New York, United States
“Steaks That Make You Want to Come Back For More”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We decided at the last minute to go to Schlesinger's the Sunday after Thanksgiving because we were so done with turkey! We have been going to Schlesinger's for many years and have always had a delicious meal and great service there. You cannot beat them for either the steaks or their service. It can get a little pricey, but you do get ample portions and the steaks are well aged and come hot off the grill! In the past I have also had the salmon-which is very good and they also make a great burger if you are looking for a smaller meal and a smaller price.
The restaurant is located next to their cigar bar and there have been times when we were sitting in one of the dining rooms and you could smell the cigar smoke from the bar. This may bother some people. I always recommend Schlesinger's for a great steak!

• Visited December 2013
NY
“Quality Steakhouse”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Sure, it may be a little pricey for this area but you cannot beat the quality of the food. I am not even a steak lover and I love this place. The quanity is plentiful and every thing is fresh. They have the very best shrimp cocktails I have ever had. While not for me, they have a cigar bar too. In the warmer weather they have outdoor dining and musical entertainment. Try it; you won't be disappointed.

Visited December 2012
Southern Shores, North Carolina
“Best Steak & Wonderful Staff”
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

After disappointment at Outback, decided to make the trip to this local steakhouse. As good as always, and worth the trip. Special thanks to the staff, which made the visit even better.

Visited November 2013
Malta, New York
“Don't let first impressions fool you!”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I was not impressed with the look from the outside of the place, and when we first walked in and smelled the smoke from the bar where smoking is permitted I felt even less confident about dinner here. Then a host greeted us and led us to the back dining area. This was more my style! No smoke, and fancier looking but casual enough as well. The menus are paper menus which did not really fit the ambiance of the place. I ordered a drink, something about birthday cake, and it was as delicious as it sounded! Very small though.

Our server was friendly and attentive. The first thing he did was bring over a large jar of pickles. That was interesting, as I've never seen that before it made me laugh. I asked questions about the menu and he answered them, and even though it was late we didn't feel rushed. I ordered a steak that was topped with mushrooms, onions, and bleu cheese. The dinners are quite expensive here but they do include a salad. The salad was one of the best tossed salads I've had in a while. The balsamic dressing was very flavorful and they include something I've never had before, jicama! Again the waiter was patient with me when I saved some to ask what on earth it was. Different, but good!

My steak ended up being a lot tougher than I expected for the price but it was still really good. The mashed potatoes were super delicious as well. I wish I had saved room for dessert because I bet thats really good too! I wish I was a local so I could eat here more often and try other items. The service, food, and atmosphere won with me.

• Visited September 2013